XP setup with SP3 disc building problem

sherry52

I downloaded ImgBurn and read the guide about how to Create a Bootable XP SP3 setup disc from an existing XP system and I thought I had successfully integrated the XP setup files and the WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU file using the command prompt on my XP laptop. However, when it came to building a bootable disc, I ran into great trouble!

Because when I started to build my disc on the XP laptop from which I had collected the files and ran the integrate command, I couldn't plug in the External DVD writer and the mouse because it only has two USB ports and as I don't get on with touchpads, I had to use one of those USB ports for my mouse. So I chose to extract the Boot Image to another location and the process lasted for about an hour and didn't even work!

So I decided to transfer my saved XP setup with SP3 already integrated to my main PC and try running ImgBurn from there. But I still ran into problems trying to get it to accept a location to which to extract/save the Boot Image file, as it just kept saying 'you cannot save .... to a drive you're trying to read'. This confused me because I hadn't selected the external drive, where the integrated XP setup files were and I had tried every other drive on my PC and still got the same error message :headphonedance:

So I visited the Forum and found a post from a member having similar problems and the answer seemed to be to insert a disc (DVD) into the optical drive and select that as the extract/save to destination! I did that and ImgBurn did seem to burn the disc successfully. But when I restarted the laptop with the disc in the external drive, it came up with the message 'Initialising CD-ROM drive.....!!' but never got any further? So I'm wondering whether the disc I thought I had successfully created has all the required files on it? I mean, how do I tell if the Boot Image was successfully extracted/saved to it? Or is the disc name which ImgBurn gave it (XPSETUP) OK or should have been WXPVOL_EN for Windows to recognise it and boot from it?

It sounds like you did something wrong when extracting the boot image.

That 'you cannot save...' message would only come up if you're trying to create a boot image of something like your hdd and save it to that same hdd. Just make sure you're extracting from the optical drive and saving to the same drive you've copied the setup files to.

You certainly shouldn't be selecting an optical drive as the 'save to' location for the boot image.

You extract the XP boot image from an XP install CD - or just use the file attached in the Guide.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.