Any chance for .DAA support?

DudeBoyz

I totally dig the app. Big-Time!

But, I would like to know if it is possible that the author might add support for the .DAA format.

I'd love to be able to use ImgBurn as my solo image burning app, kinda like I can use WinRAR to handle all my archiving needs.

I would hope .DAA support would be considered.

Thanks

If it's some type of compressed image, the answer is 'no' i'm afraid.

Thanks for the nearly Instant reply! Wowsers!

It's some kind of thing PowerISO uses, it seems

ImgBurn is just so simple and easy to use that I was hoping it might be something that could easily be added.

If not, hey, at least I asked. :)

Thanks very, very much for making the app and making it available for FREE. Mega-Kudos.

Edited by DudeBoyz

Would it be possible to simply support EXTRACTION of .DAA archives so we can convert them to ISO's or something? Not sure if that might be easier to do.

Kinda like how WinRAR can de-compress a bunch of formats but only archive it to 2, RAR and ZIP.

Thanks

You're always better off using the original program for that kind of thing.

Without having the file format specs, it's always a guessing game as to how these things work.

Only PowerISO would really know if the image COULD be converted to a simple ISO file.

Is there no other way of doing what you do without having to resort to using DAA files in the first place?!

You're always better off using the original program for that kind of thing.

Without having the file format specs, it's always a guessing game as to how these things work.

Only PowerISO would really know if the image COULD be converted to a simple ISO file.

Is there no other way of doing what you do without having to resort to using DAA files in the first place?!

I'm seeing some .DAA archives being made with modified Linux distro's, etc. I don't create DAA myself, I just want to be able to convert it to a standard type of ISO, or BIN/CUE, or what not so I don't have to worry about others having to deal with getting PowerISO when I point them to the image.

Kinda like how some people made all those ACE archives for things like GameCopyWorld and it was such a pain to deal with, ya know?

Thanks.

It's really strange that linux distros are distributed in .daa since there is no Poweriso for linux :wacko:

Lot's of folks with PC's download Linux distros and create the Linux disks so that they can image / ghost their existing PC, then install Linux in a dual-boot config. At least a lot of folks I know. :)

Personally, I think the DAA format is totally lame. I think any proprietary format is lame. I also think that in general, DECOMPRESSION tools should be FREE (like PK Unzip was back in the day). Don't mind folks charging for the compressor, but just like CODECS, I think playback/decompression should be free. Even though I totally dig WinRAR, when I'm going to share files, I always do so in the ZIP format for maximum compatibility. I reserve RAR for personal archives that I need that extra bit of compression on.

If Lightning UK was able to provide DAA decompression / conversion in ImgBurn, nobody would have to pay for PowerISO unless they wanted to get the compression features of that app.

As it is, I have a bud or two that own PowerISO and they can convert it to ISO for me, so it's not that big of a deal I guess, but it sure seems an unnecessary hassle, don't you think?

Edited by DudeBoyz

• 1 month later...

While PowerISO is not free, its unregistered limitations is only on image creation or conversion. It does allow extraction of a DAA into individual folder/files so ImgBurn can the build its own image. Yeah its clumsy, but at least you don't have to pay for PowerISO to extract other peoples images, and its very limited value add is not worth the cost.

Thanks for the info on PowerISO. I appreciate it. It sounds like a hassle, but it'll work. I do still wish that ImgBurn could simply decompress/burn them like it does ISO files. All in one, single stop solution and all that you know. :)

As for why I use WinRAR - well, cause I like it. It was around before hand and I bought it and like how it handles just about everything through right-click context menus if I want, and busts up archives into user defined chunks and such.

7zip is fine, but WinRAR was there for me first, and I'm a loyal dude. :)

Besides, I almost always archive to ZIP when giving files to other people, for compatibility. Unless I have to bust the archive up into chunks, that is. Then I use RAR

Edited by DudeBoyz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.