ImgBurn-2.5.7.0 not working for AMD and WIn 8 x64

changmw

Before I submit a log file, which I thought was un-necessary, I briefed my problem first.

Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO (AMD 990X/SB950 chipsets)

SATA mode: RAID

DVD Burner: LG GH24NS50 with firmware XP02

Symptoms:

When burning an ISO, the drive's activity LED didn't blink, but ImgBurn still reported as if burning was in progress.

There was no abnormal entry in the Log Window of ImgBurn! (That's why I said the log might not be needed!)

Towards the end of the "fake" burning process and beginning of Verify mode, ImgBurn might freeze the whole PC.

Burning the same ISO using Nero Express, no problem! The drive's activity LED blinked correctly.

Could it be a problem of ImgBurn with AMD RAID mode?

Edited by changmw

Controllers and modes aren't something the program really knows or cares about. The API commands provided by Windows shield all that stuff from the software and it's the OS drivers that are supposed to do all the hard work.

I can't comment on the activity led but a general freeze of the PC is probably where an I/O command isn't being processed nicely (at all). It should always get a success/failure message, never cause a system freeze - again, that's down to the drivers.

I understood what you said. I supposed both Nero and ImgBurn were using Window$ functions to do the burning.

But why did Nero Express successfully sent commands and data to the LG burner but not ImgBurn?

Shouldn't ImgBurn always check the return code after sending a command to Window$?

Are you also hinting that Window$ 8 lied to ImgBurn but not Nero Express? 

Edited by changmw

I surely hope you could find a AMD 990X motherboard to find out why it lied to ImgBurn about the burning process.

Could I do the I/O dump for you? How? I am a programmer. :)

It does always check for a return code and sits there waiting patiently until it gets one. Without snooping on the I/O at a low level, I'm unable to see exactly what it's getting hung up on.

• 1 month later...

After enabling the option "Don't Use Immediate I/O" in Settings -> I/O,

the burning process worked and Imgburn reported "Operation Successfully Completed"!!! 

The medium contained working data as well!

Before I submit a log file, which I thought was un-necessary, I briefed my problem first.

Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO (AMD 990X/SB950 chipsets)

SATA mode: RAID

DVD Burner: LG GH24NS50 with firmware XP02

Symptoms:

When burning an ISO, the drive's activity LED didn't blink, but ImgBurn still reported as if burning was in progress.

There was no abnormal entry in the Log Window of ImgBurn! (That's why I said the log might not be needed!)

Edited by changmw

Good, so it's just AMD's crappy drivers then.

I am not too sure.  I am indeed using AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller instead of Micro$oft AHCI driver.

It might also be a hardware issue. AMD chipset's disk i/o implmentation for RAID might be different from that of Intel RAID.

I wondered why there was no Intel users complaining about the same issue....  :)

Edited by changmw

I have just re-installed my 64-bit Win 8 by setitng the Asus M5A99X EVO's SATA mode to AHCI.

Win 8 was using Micro$oft's AHCI driver (**not** AMD's amdsbs.sys and ahcix64s.sys) for hard disks and SSDs.

I re-installed ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 and burn+verify DVD again, "Operation Successfully Completed"!!!

I did NOT need to use the "Don't Use Immediate I/O" option.

I guess ImgBurn was alwats tested against Micro$oft AHCI driver only, not other storage drivers....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.