Best program(s) for checking CD/DVD/BluRay Burn Quality?

Copnm

Hello ImgBurn family,

First off, I'd like to take the time to say that I love ImgBurn with a passion, and the new update that recently came out made burning even easier and more customizable. Keep up the good work!

I'm here today because I'd like to know the best 2 programs I should use (or anyone that would like to check their burn quality) for checking the quality of my burns.

What I use:

• Liteon iHas424 B DVD+/-RW burner with the latest firmware, GL1B
  • DVDInfoPro, v7.1.0.8
  • Opti Drive Control, v1.70

What I know:

• DVDInfoPro is the only program with frequent updates.
  • Nero is famous for their knowledge with media.
  • Opti Drive Control is based off of Nero's DiscSpeed.
  • KProbe is made for my drive's brand.

What I don't know and would like to know is, out of all the available programs out there (Nero DiscSpeed, DVDInfoPro, Opti Drive Control, and KProbe), which are the best 2 programs with the most accurate readings? From what I see, each program reads differently, so I don't know which to base my readings off of. Also, what are the maximum PIE & PIF values for a good burn? Opti Drive Control has it listed in their manual as under 280 & under 4 respectively. How accurate is that?

Thanks for reading,

Neil M

Edited by Copnm

The drive reports the error values, the programs just display them. As such, they should all show you the same thing.

As for acceptable error levels, you can probably find that info by searching google. I'm sure the MyCE forums will have something about it on them.

Hello LUK,

Thanks for replying. Finally someone wants to help...

My experiences when reading these values are different per program. Example, Opti Drive Control's PIE reading compared to DVDInfoPro's would be almost +50, as for the PIF, +1-2. Besides, DVDInfoPro tweaks their readings. (I've seen this via their changelog) This is why I'm asking which is/are the better program(s).

I've googled PIE & PIF values, all which led me to forums, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I did also search the MyCE forums as well as made posts to no avail.

I appreciate the response, but I'm still stuck with this questions. Maybe someone else can shed some light?

Thanks for reading,

Neil M

Edited by Copnm

• 4 weeks later...

its been years since ive done any good research into the subject (just happened stumbled upon this after updating imgburn and came to forum to see what others have to say).

i used to be a CDFreak: burned and tested, and burned and tested all my media at different speeds using different drives for both burning and testing.

anyway, as a CDFreak (myce) member the go to programs are ImgBurn for burning and Nero CD-DVD Speed for quality scanning. There is a patched version of Nero CD-DVD Speed by C0dking for the new lite-on drives. though i dont know if the newest ones are supported. Myce members now recommend using Opti Drive Control though i still use the patched cd-dvd speed.

take a look at myce and find your drive or similar drive models (even possible rebadged models) and look for scans of your media to find reference points. keep in mind that typically only the best scans are posted (for good media) or only the worst (for crap media). so your scans may vary.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.