Long write error

lurker

I have intermitent issues.  Sometimes my optical drive "dissappears" until I reboot.

I already updated my drives firmware. I already updated my computers BIOS and any driver with an available updated driver. I already checked DMA, not an issue.

Current Issue.  I can't eject my partialy burned DVD.  ImgBurn hangs the computer after burning part of the drive, Write ISO file.

ImgBurn log:

I 13:44:07 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 13:44:07 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
I 13:44:07 Total Physical Memory: 8,303,728 KiB  -  Available: 5,707,464 KiB
I 13:44:07 Initialising SPTI...
I 13:44:07 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 13:44:07 -> Drive 1 - Info: ATAPI iHBS112   2 PL06 (D:) (ATA)
I 13:44:07 Found 1 BD-RE!

Error message when I try to eject the disk (using eject icon on your program).

Could another program (Windows?) be trying to access the drive at the same time?  We used to need to use an option to set the drive for exclusive access.

I could just replace the drive.  Not very expensive.

Thanks.

post-42920-0-09836500-1373565679_thumb.jpg

It's a GA-Z68X-UD3H motherboard (gigabyte)..  I may have to open the case to figure out which controller I have the drive connected to. I have 4 SATA 8Gbs connectors and 3 3Gbs connectors.  FWIW I tried using a different cable and lowering the burn speed to 12X.

The only way to eject the disk is to turnoff the computer then hit the eject button after the computer gets power but before windows loads.

post-42920-0-81990500-1373578259_thumb.jpg

Problem solved.  You definitely steered me toward the right direction. My optical drive is now rock solid.  Short answer.I went into the BIOS and changed the Marvell controller mode to AHCI.

Long answer.  I had an intermittent problem from the beginning.  The issues became more severe as I went through the checklist.  I went into the BIOS and changed to ACHI but didn't realize I only did that for the Intel controller, I didn't go far enough and missed Marvell.  At that point the drive locked up, wouldn't even let me burn a CD but would read anything and would sometimes let me burn.

My MB and my case arent a good combination.  The SATA ports are on the side edge of the board.  I don't have enough clearance to easily use the lower SATA connectors.  Yes my MB is full size ATX and yes my Antec case handles that size board.

I had previously swapped my HD and CD cables, but before I changed the Intel setting to AHCI.  I knew switchichg  to the Intel controller didn't guarantee it would work.

I put a few dollars in your paypal account. I:m not sure what beer costs where you are, I think I gave you enough for a coule of pints.

Thanks again.

Edited by lurker

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.