Make A Diagnostics Utility ISO Bootable?

KenH

Hi,

Ever have one of those days when everything you do makes you feel stupid? Grrrr. :frustrated:I've wasted 3 Cds trying to make this thing bootable.

I need to use a Broadcom ethernet controller diagnostics utility on a Win7 x64 Dell laptop. On the Broadcom site it says:

~~~

How to run User Diagnostic for a BCM57xx NetXtreme Device:

1. Create a bootable CD using the b57udiag ISO file
  2. Boot to DOS using this CD
  3. Choose option one on the FreeDOS 1.0 Final Cut CD menu
  4. Choose option "Install to HD using FD setup
  5. Run FreeDOS from CD ROM (return to command prompt)
  6. cd to b57diag and run b57udiag

~~~~

I've read several guides here and elsewhere but obviously I'm missing something because when I boot the laptop to that CD I get a "file I/O error."

The iso folder structure looks like this:

brdcom-diag-iso-files1.png

The 'isolinux' folder has these files:

isolinux-1.png

Buildcd folder

buildcd.png

and, the isolinux/data folder

isolinux-data.png

1. Can just the files in the ISO shown above make the CD bootable into Win7? If so, how do I burn it properly in IMGBURN?

Or,

2.  Do I need to add files (Win 7 boot image?) to make this bootable?  If so, please tell me which files to grab off a Win 7 Cd and how to insert them properly into IMGBURN along with the above files.

I'd sincerely appreciate ya'll's guidance!!

Ken

The b57udiag ISO should already be bootable. You don't need to do anything special.

Just burn the iso to disc using "Write image file to disc"

To check it is bootable look in the source file info at line File Sys:  after loading the file to burn.

The b57udiag ISO should already be bootable. You don't need to do anything special.

Just burn the iso to disc using "Write image file to disc"

To check it is bootable look in the source file info at line File Sys:  after loading the file to burn.

That didn't work. Won't boot from it.

Also, where is "source file info at line File Sys:?"   There is nothing like that visible in IMGBURN after I load the iso file as a source file.

Ken

Wow, that's the worst diag ISO I've ever seen... it's useless!

Extract its contents somewhere, add the 3 folders to the 'Source' box in 'Build' mode. On the 'Advanced' -> 'Bootable disc' tab, add the isolinux\isolinux.bin file as the boot image and enable the 'patch boot information' option.

Burn that to a CD-RW and see if it boots.

Home now. Only have one cd , thought I had more so gotta make sure this is right.

I built the iso as instructed. It was saved to local disk. When I open it only the 3 folders are seen, no files at all in the initial disk view. Shouldn't the boot image file be there at least?

Ah, I got it to make one in the end. :)

Extract that ISO somewhere. Copy the mkisofs.exe file into somewhere like c:\windows (it's in isolinux\buildcd). Then run the makecd.bat file.

You should end up with a fdbootcd.iso file somewhere. Burn that to disc and boot from it.

As an added bonus, I found a bug in my 'patch boot information table' code that prevented ImgBurn from building a working disc... this has now been fixed ready for the next release.

There is no makecd.bat file. Did u mean makeiso.bat in the isolinux folder?

While I don't get what copying mkisofs.exe to another folder is for I did it. Then ran makeiso.bat. I saw what I think was a dos box open for about 1 second. Have no idea what it did, or if it built an I so. Tried searching for fdbootcd.iso but found nothing.

What now?

I sincerely appreciate all the help!

Burned the image and it booted. Unfortunately, when I got to "Choose option "Install to HD using FD setup" it errored out. Tried it 3 times and got the same.

What a POS utility!  I'd hoped to use the diagnostic to determine how to repair the Broadcom 57xx Gigabit/Ethernet Controller in my Dell laptop. I can't connect to anything. WiFi adapters and all other network-related devices work perfectly. Device manager shows it 'not connected.'  Oh well, that's certainly not an issue for here so will push on elsewhere to look for a different solution.

Am definitely keeping IMGBURN though.

Take Care,

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.