Internal Lightscribe DVD burners?

dbminter

What's up with trying to find a new internal Lightscribe DVD burner? I checked NewEgg and they have none, except for duplicators. I checked Amazon.com and all they had were LiteOns and LGs. Unfortunately, both options are non-starters. The last 2 LiteOns I had were junk. One wouldn't write DVD's at all and the other, a Blu-Ray drive, would not write DVD+R DL VIDEO_TS jobs without skips and pops and then stopped writing to BD-RE's after only 5 months. The LG is not an option because, for whatever reason, the one I tried doesn't write 8x DVD+RW correctly. It writes to discs a few times and then they're unusable. At least my LiteOn writes to them the intended multiple times. The drive also doesn't write to DVD-RW correctly. DVD-RW VIDEO_TS discs it burns aren't readable in Panasonic DVD recordables and can't be used by them until they are formatted fully in my LiteOn.

Well, was able to mostly answer my own question. Went by Wikipedia and searched for Lightscribe to see if the technology had been discontinued. Read this in the entry:

"Companies such as HP, Samsung, LaCie and LiteOn have discontinued or are fading out LightScribe drives as of June 2013 with only LG still manufacturing drives."

So, that explains why I could only find LG, for the most part.  The LiteOns on Amazon.com were probably older models that have been discontinued back in June.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.