Burning a 26.5 GB Encore project on a BD-RE 50GB DL

michelm

'never done this! I just read an interesting post but from 2008 and it had "log" till I turned blue! I'll have to find out how to get and post a log.

I'm a permanent newbie :(

I could not see much in the FAQ that I could find relevant.

I have burnt successfully a slightly shorter version of this project (23GB) on a re writable 25 gb disk but did add to it since my verbatim BD are 50 GB.

My Burner is a brand new Samsung usb 2 unit. I have no physical room for internal.

I'm going back to bed but thank you.

I've done quite a few DVD in the past but this is my first with BD as it was too expensive before.

The old post seem to put emphasis on not using usb, or lowering the writing speed, using quality disks. I wonder if this is still relevant to day.

'never done this! I just read an interesting post but from 2008 and it had "log" till I turned blue! I'll have to find out how to get and post a log.

I'm a permanent newbie :(

I could not see much in the FAQ that I could find relevant.

I have burnt successfully a slightly shorter version of this project (23GB) on a re writable 25 gb disk but did add to it since my verbatim BD are 50 GB.

My Burner is a brand new Samsung usb 2 unit. I have no physical room for internal.

I'm going back to bed but thank you.

I've done quite a few DVD in the past but this is my first with BD as it was too expensive before.

The old post seem to put emphasis on not using usb, or lowering the writing speed, using quality disks. I wonder if this is still relevant to day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically all you need to do is re-burn the project and then when it fails right click no the box below Imgburn called image Burn log

Click edit and select all.

Then click edit and copy

and paste the log into the forums post and its all good ;)

Then maybe somebody can help you :lion:

Edited by GodGibson

• 2 weeks later...

Well did I say something wrong? 

Anyway I solved my problem as I ended up buying an internal machine (Pioneer BDR-208DBK) since I picked a post that had negative things to say about USB writers - now my dealer won't take it back but we're putting the case to Samsung (Burns single layer but seems to have problem with DL)

One thing I'd like to know is how long it should take to format a DL with imgburn. I'm asking as when I want to burn my folder with imgburn it asked me to format the disc, I clicked yes and some 3 hours later it's done and then it continues with burning my project (35+GB) that does not even take as long as the formatting! Is this normal. 

I did read the pink thing on DL disc, my Australian DL 50 GB are actually verbatim, not by choice, it just happened, but I take the point... But I've got a lot of 25GB from Rytec :(. .. (is that good enough) .Hoops my 50 GB are TDK. They were under my 25 GB rewritable Verbatim!

I don't know what PM somebody means for me it's "prime minister" but I 'm sure it something else here I thought of "P M off" but one would not say this would one?

A full format with full certification will normally take the drive about 1 - 2 hours. Then it's another hour or so to write zeros to all of the sectors.

It's not something you need to do again and at least it should pick up on any potential problems with your drive/media combo.

That text you're reading (about PM's (= private message) etc) is just my signature. It wasn't specifically aimed at you, just people in general and gets added to every post I make.

Thank you for the "lightning" speed of the reply! So it does take 3 hours I did not dream it! Wow! it's a new ball game all together that blu Ray thing. 

What I don't understand from you is "you don't need to do it again" Oh I see... it may not be like that with my next burn! 

Well thanks again MM :)

I just put a new one in and it's formatting at about 1% per minute so yes it will take about 90 mins we'll see I hope it will not need to zero the sectors this time!

It'll always zero the sectors after the drive has finished doing its own thing as part of the full format. The discs only need formatting once though and after that you can just overwrite any data that's already been burnt to it. The program handles all of that stuff automatically.

Oh, I thought I needed a re writeable for this? I just did put the wrong bd and I was told that there was data on my disk and did I want it to be over written or something to this effect,  I was glad to be warned, on the other hand I would not mind putting the right folder on it but did not think it was possible.

Are you saying the same thing I could burn another image on the same disc? 

May I ask also, can I put a Bd in my play Blue Ray rom and copy it on my Writer next to it, I search for this but it seems the only way is to create an image on my pc and burn it later on.

Edited by michelm

BD-RE discs are rewritable. They're the ones that need formatting before the drive will accept any 'Write' command to write data to them.

ImgBurn has no 'copy' mode, so yeah, you have to make an image and then burn it.

Technically, you can point Build mode at a source drive (your bdrom) and have the destination set as your writer. That'll copy all of the file present on the source disc to the destination disc but it won't be a true 'copy' because ImgBurn will have created a new file system.

So it's not a good idea to do this, it might even not work.  I thought it would make the duplication of my project much quicker like with cd. Because 5 hours is such a long time! Oh well, this is BD world now!

Thanks again Mm

If you weren't using BD-RE (but just normal BD-R instead), you'd obviously skip the whole formatting process. BD-RE can normally only be burnt at 2x (or 2.3x) too... BD-R can be burnt at up to 16x on modern drives (not so for DL discs though).

I guess it all comes down to why you're using BD-RE in the first place and if you wanted to be able to use them again or not. I certainly wouldn't use a BD-RE for something I had no intention of overwriting.

Duh! I bought these not realising they were RE I thought it meant something else like (minus RE!) and expected RW for the others. they were my first lot. (5 for AU$60 And then I bought one verbatim 25 GB  ($25) with the full word (rewriteable) on it for that purpose! And was sorry I could not put my larger file on it to test!

Well that's good news in some way. So in the future if I get normal BD it will be a lot faster. 

You actually wrote that programme if I understand right? It is very helpful especially for guys like me who don't make any money but are bitten by the video editing bug. So Thank you for this too. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.