ImgBurn failed to burn data to BD-RE Blu-Ray ReWriteable Disc

Robert333

Hello,

I have an Asus netbook running Windows 7 Starter SP1,

a Samsung model SE-506BB/TSBD external USB-connected Blu-Ray Writer drive,

using Verbatim BD-RE discs,

with ImgBurn 2.5.8.0.

I have tried unsuccessfully to use ImgBurn to burn data from the hard drive of my netbook to a BD-RE disc on my external Blu-Ray Writer drive.

I used the ImgBurn "Write files/folders to disc" option.

I dragged and dropped the folders into the ImgBurn drop-spot.

ImgBurn formatted the Blu-Ray disc.

It then spent over 5 hours going through a burn process (during which it displayed the names of the folders and files it was apparently processing).

At the verification the drive tray opened and I closed it manually, so that verification could proceed.

Verification failed quite simply because there was nothing burned to the disc.

I checked this in Windows Explorer.

I also removed the Blu-Ray disc from the drive and re-inserted it and checked again.

There is nothing on the disc.

Please could you explain how I can successfully use ImgBurn to burn data to BD_RE disc.

I have tried twice now to paste into this message the ImgBurn log and on each occasion I try to paste it, this web page has crashed. I cannot attach it as your webpage returns an error saying the log is too large.

Therefore please use the following link to view or download the ImgBurn log:

http://www.mediafire.com/?11u61qa42jq805t

I hope to hear from you with a solution to this problem. Please let me know how I can use ImgBurn to successfully burn data to Blu-Ray BD-RE discs.

Regards,

Robert333

Hello,

- - - - Edit: - - - -

My message (below) has since been superseded by "Admin's" very helpful explanation of 19 November 2013, 09.01 AM.

- - - - End of Edit - - - -

This query has now been resolved.

I did not appreciate that the default settings must be changed for use with Blu-Ray discs.

I was unsure how to interpret the ImgBurn Guide for Blu-Ray discs because it refers to Video and I wished to burn normal files and folders to disc (Data disc).

For anyone else who wishes to know how to burn files and folders to a BD-R (Writeable Blu-Ray disc),

or BD-RE (Re-Writeable Blu-Ray disc), the following are the settings that I changed, in order to successfully burn data to a BD-RE disc. (The same settings should apply for a BD-R disc but the speed setting will likely need to be set higher than for BD-RE discs.)

Follow the instructions in the ImgBurn Guide called:

"How to write a Blu-ray Video disc using ImgBurn"

(http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/9512-how-to-write-a-blu-ray-video-disc-using-imgburn/),

but with the following exceptions:

You are making a Data disc and not a Video disc, and so you do NOT need to create the two folders to which reference is made in the Guide (BDAV / BDMV folder and the CERTIFICATE folder).

In the 'Device' tab:

'Write Speed:'

Ensure this is set to not more than the maximum supported speed.

For example, in my case, the maximum speed specified for both my external Blu-Ray drive and the Verbatim BD-RE discs is: "2X".

I therefore changed this setting to "2X" (instead of the default of "2.4X").

(For BD-R discs the maximum speed will likely be higher.)

In the 'Options' tab:

These settings should be set as shown in the Guide at Step 4, but with the option of also Checking the following:

As I was burning a Data disc rather than a Video disc, in addition to the settings shown in the Guide, for this tab, I also here CHecked:

"Include Hidden Files".

"Include System Files".

Regards,

Robert333.

Edited by Robert333

Hello Admin,

Many thanks for your response.

I did use a different disc of the same type for the successful burn, and after completing, I did a full erase of that first empty disc that I had tried to use, in order that it can be re-used on another occasion. Therefore I hope that what you have now told me is not that that BD-RE disc is defective.

However, your reply leaves me with some queries which I hope you will be willing to answer, as you do not have any Guides for using ImgBurn for creating "data" discs with BD-R and BD-RE discs.

Are you saying that the default settings in the 'Options' tab will allow the successful burning of data (i.e. not creating a video disc) to BD-R and BD-RE discs? In your Guide for burning Video BD discs, the settings within the 'Options' tab that you recommend are indeed different from the default settings.

Please could you therefore confirm that the following three default settings in the 'Options' tab are appropriate for burning a successful data BD-R or BD-RE disc, and if, so why does your Guide for burning Video BD-R and BD-RE discs recommend different settings?

'Options' tab default settings:

'Data Type:'  "MODE1/2048".

'File System:'  "ISO9660 + UDF".

'UDF Revision:'  "1.02".

Also please, if as you say the difficulty I encountered was nothing to do with settings (and even if it had, it is really down to me to put in the correct settings of course), are you certain that the machine would be able to burn successfully if I had left the Speed setting in ImgBurn at "2.4", when the maximum speed for both drive and discs is "2X"?

When I encountered the difficulty, I did have the speed setting at "2.4".

I look forward to hearing from you so that I can better understand how to use ImgBurn with these discs.

Thank you.

Regards,

Robert333.

Edited by Robert333

The data type option doesn't apply to anything other than CD media. DVD and BD only support Mode 1/2048 and the program is well aware of that.

The file system selection is really just a personal preference thing. Some are newer than others and so have more features / less limitations. Windows can read all 3 (iso9660, Joliet, Udf) just fine so there's no problem there when it comes to reading files on the disc.

The drive has the final say on the write speed it uses. If it says it only supports burning those discs at 2x (as yours does), it'll only ever burn at 2x, even if you select 48x in the program. Imgburn will ask it to burn at 48x but it'll just semi ignore it and use the closest supported speed.

The write errors your drive reported were purely a hardware thing (drive/media) and nothing to do with ImgBurn or it's settings.

Hello Admin,

Thanks for your really useful and informative explanation about the settings of which I was unsure.

It must have been that particular disc then.

(I have edited my 9.33 PM message of 17 November 2013, to refer to your message of yesterday.)

Thanks for your help, and for the application.

- - - - Edit: - - -

Update:

I have now been able to establish that the burner drive will not work with that particular BD-RE disc with which I had the original issue. It does work with the others in this pack of BD-RE discs that I have tried, so far.

- - - - End of Edit - - - -

Regards,

Robert333

Edited by Robert333

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.