Double disc might end hi-def war

lfcrule1972

From: http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5364238.stm

Inventors have come up with a design for a disc that can store copies of films in rival high-definition formats.

_42110436_double-afpgetty203.jpg

A US patent has been filed for the discs that could hold both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray versions of movies.

Currently movie makers and technology companies are dividing into camps that back either one or the other of the two formats.

The creation of the discs could end the looming battle over the different high-definition formats.

Format wars

The design of the disc patented in the US would have three layers. One for a standard DVD version of a film and then one for each of the competing formats.

The innovation is thought to be possible because the rival formats store data on the discs at different depths.

Using reflective films should make it possible to store data for one movie format in one layer but to see through that, if needed, to the deeper layer which has the same movie in the rival format.

The engineers behind the idea reportedly work for the Warner Brothers movie studio.

The idea could end the potential confusion that consumers face as high-definition films in different formats start to go on sale.

Few movie studios are planning to release films in both high-definition formats; the majority are backing Blu-ray. Only three are backing HD-DVD.

This week movie studio Universal announced it would not support the Sony-backed Blu-Ray format.

In late September Warner Brothers will release the first movie in both high-definition formats.

For consumers the issue is made more confusing because Microsoft and Sony have backed different formats for their next generation games consoles.

Industry analysts have predicted that the confusion could mean the market for high-definition movies is stunted until one format becomes dominant.

Microsoft has announced an external HD-DVD player for the 360 that will connect via an USB connection, giving that formats movie playback. Also apparently a firmware upgrade that will allow 1080p output will be available this fall. I am softening to the 360 for 1 reason only, Dead Rising, some of you know why :D

lfc'll try anything since Sony delayed the PS3 European release..... =))

I know what you mean mate - I am not quite on my knees yet tho !! :lol:

Microsoft has announced an external HD-DVD player for the 360 that will connect via an USB connection, giving that formats movie playback. Also apparently a firmware upgrade that will allow 1080p output will be available this fall. I am softening to the 360 for 1 reason only, Dead Rising, some of you know why :D

It looks cracking doesn't it Grain ??? zombie1cf5.gif

1080P is a good upgrade but i still wish they would sort out their crap protocol for live.

OK if you have one 360 and a gold subscription, not so good if you have 2 360 and 2 gold subscription.

As you can only pass one port per internal IP, therefore you cannot achieve OPEN on both 360's when both are connected to live.

Easily fixed as well on ms behalf if they would just add another port, IE 3074 is the one they use they should at least add 3075, tbh they should have range from 3074 to at least 3080.

Edited by dontasciime

It looks cracking doesn't it Grain ??? zombie1cf5.gif

It does176419.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.