Logical unit in the process of becoming ready

dbminter

I've noticed this before and I wanted to see if it was expected behavior of ImgBurn/the drive.

I've had my drive loading a disc in Read mode and ImgBurn returned the status of the drive as Logical unit in the process of becoming ready.  Then, I realized I had the wrong disc in the drive and used the eject button in the ImgBurn interface to eject the disc.  However, on eject, the drive immediately reloads the tray.

Is this common behavior for a drive in the Logical unit is the process of becoming ready status?  I've not tested it on my LiteOn drives.  I've only seen this on my LG Blu-Ray burner.

I've seen this behavior twice now with the LG Blu-Ray XL burner Info: HL-DT-ST BD-RE  WH14NS40 1.01-A1 (SATA)

I believe this was a drive you said you couldn't lay your hands on as it wasn't available in the UK.  So, you can't test it for yourself to see.  :doh:

I've also got an issue starting up with my LiteOn SATA drive.  A disc was ejected from it after an ImgBurn operation.  I tried to remove the disc and the tray started to close on me!  :angry:  I had an eject just now where, after a read, the tray stayed open for a few seconds and then reloaded itself!  :eyebrow:  So, I ejected it again and its stayed open, but the drive makes a funny, barking noise, like gears in the motor that ejects the disc are still spinning.

I had a Sony Optiarc that when it ejected discs, it would reload the tray if the tray was jostled in any way, such as vibrations caused by removing discs from it.  I replaced that.  Think it's time to replace this drive?  :huh:   It's also started to do things like on reads of DVD-9 Video_TS discs, at the layer break, the reads drop down to almost 0 and then start back up again.  It didn't do this before and the last time I had a LiteOn that did this, I had to replace it.

I've decided to swap out the LiteOn.

It's been in use since July 2012.  It's been my drive for reading discs to images, for writing LightScribe disc surfaces, and for writing to rewritable DVD's since the LG doesn't write to them properly.  And, an LG drive usually lasts about a year before it has to be replaced.  It's been like a year and a half now. 

I had the original drive that came with my Dell in 2011 just sitting around doing nothing.  So, I think I'll swap in that drive.  I've still got my USB LiteOn that write LightScribe, since NewEgg only has 2 Lightscribe drives.  One $99 LiteOn from a reseller of an older drive and a $150 USB Blu-Ray burner.  I am guessing Lightscribe drives are going away.  :(

Funny, according to the ImgBurn firmware check I did on this drive I swapped in, it's apparently a rebranded LiteOn!  :lol:

I fell out with LiteOn after my last 2 purchase.  This drive I'm replacing I had to order a replacement for from NewEgg right out of the box because it didn't work right.  My next purchase, though, put LiteOn on my :horse: list.  I got a Blu-Ray drive from them that did not write DVD-9 Video_TS images properly to discs; they had random pauses in playback on them.  2 out of 3 I burned did that.  Then, it stopped writing BD-RE's after half a year!  :angry:  I notice there are no more LiteOn Blu-Ray burners on NewEgg where I got it.  So, maybe they exited the Blu-Ray business or NewEgg got too many returns/complaints on them and stopped carrying them.  Or maybe LiteOn is just getting out of the optical drive business altogether.  Who knows?  :huh:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.