Want to create a software install disk

rlbevill

I have create a database application that I want to share.  To share I would like to create an install disk.  Each time I copy the files to DVD I never get it to autorun.  Several files are created.  One file is autorun.inf however it never appears to run.  I have read that it mus be in the root directory of the DVD.  Have not been able to figure out how to accomplish the task.

Any suggestions.

Rod

I have Autorun enabled.  I have tried the install on several computers with the same result.  Here is the autorun.inf file:

[autorun]
OPEN=SETUP.EXE /AUTORUN
ICON=SETUP.EXE,1

Do not see any issues with the file.  I did read that the autorun.inf had to be in the root directory of the DVD.  I used Windows Explorer to write the files.  Windows 8.1

Is there something else that would be better.

Rod

That Autorun file content looks okay to me - assuming there is also a file called SETUP.EXE in the same location as the autorun.inf file :) .  Perhaps if you could post a directory listing of all files in the root of the disc we could help a little more.

I used Windows Explorer to write the files.  Windows 8.1

Is there something else that would be better. (?)

Well .. [cough] ... if you're using the Windows built-in disc-burning service - and not ImgBurn - to write the disc, then this is not an ImgBurn support issue, and this thread should be moved to the 'Chat' forum.

Are you sure autorun.inf is "as is" not autorun.inf.txt?

Windows default is to hide the file extension. So if you created the file in Windows with extensions hidden you might get with autorun.inf.txt.

How is it look the icon of the file? Does it look like a gear on a page? Can you post a pic with them?

The icon is a gear on a page.  I have tried using several image burning apps including ImgBurn, all with the same issue.

I reverified the autoplay options in control panel.  Tried to attach image but the post would not accept images.  The file structure is:

Audit Tracking Manual Install                          File folder

Files                                                                File folder

Source                                                             File folder

autorun.inf                                                      Setup Information

setup.exe                                                        Application

This issue really has me stumped.  Hope you can see the problem.

Rod

Does the AutoPlay window come up when you insert the disc?

Other disc with autorun works? Try one of the Drivers disc from motherboard or something.

Try fixing Autorun problems with FixIt http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

Oh, if you have some other disc burning programs can interfer with this. Easy CD Creator is one of them.

Thanks for the help.  Still have the issue.  All other disk run when they are inserted into the drive.  This new disk is read but the autoplay does not appear.  I get a screen with directory.  The disk files are listed under a title "Files Currently on the Disc" and a single file "desktop.ini" is listed under "Files Ready to Be Written to the Disc".  When I click on the "Files Currently on the Disc" a get a dropdown menu where I select "install" and the autorun.inf files is activated.  Not quite sure why the disk does not work.  It almost seems to still open for writing (not sure that is an issue).

As far as other apps for burning, only Windows Explorer and Windows Media Player are capable of writing to DVD/CDs.  I tried a new autorun.inf file with the following lines:

[autorun]
OPEN=SETUP.EXE
ICON=AuditTracking.ico

All the files are located in the root directory of the disc.

Again thanks for all the inputs.

Rod

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.