Sony exits PC business

dbminter

In a restructuring attempt to save the company, Sony is selling its PC division.

I say good riddance!  I've only had 2 good Sony experiences in the PC realm.  I got a VAIO monitor in 1997 that lasted for about 6 years and I liked that monitor.  I also got in on the ground floor of its DRU dual format DVD burners, the 500 A.  I also had the 700 A which died after like 2 months, the beginning of Sony's decline in quality.  I then had 2 other DRU drives before they exited that market.  Sony then bought up Optiarc and the quality of the drives plummited.  Then there was the BD-RE I had that died after 5 writes!  :angry:

Sony had some early quality experience with the Playstation, but has driven the quality of that brand into the ground.  The PS 1 was fine.  The PS 2 started out fine, but they gradually removed features and switched back to the PS 1 style top loading system.  The tray system was adopted in the PS 2 exactly to fix the issues the top loading disc design caused.  Sony then got cheap and replaced the tray system because the top loader was cheaper.  :greedy:  Then came the PS 3, minus backwards compatibility and the infamous removal of features customers paid for.

So, my love for Sony no longer exists.  The PS 1 was my first real experience with Sony and it was a joy.  The early years of the PS 2 were even better.  Then, Sony just got to be a cheap ass and I don't feel sorry for their financial woes at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony used to be able to do right.  They made a good product as far back as their CD-RW's around 2000.  And the Playstation 1 was good, except for the top loading design, which they fixed in the PS 2.  The first model of the PS 2 was also good and that's when their products started going downhill.  The 2nd generation PS 2 I had needed its disc assembly replaced after a year.  I had to recently swap out that PS 2 because it simply stopped displaying audio and video.  I THINK it boots but I can't tell because all I get is a black screen with no audio.  And that PS 2 hadn't played a game since 2006!  :angry:  It was powered off from the back and only powered on once a month to test the batteries in the PS 2 DVD remote.  Those PS 2 DVD remote batteries were made back when Sony made a good product.  They STILL have power in them after 10 years!  :o  My PS 3 remote Sony batteries died after a year!  :doh:  I swapped in my first generation PS 2 in its place.  It was only used for 2 years and then shelved without power connected to it.  It still works because it's a first generation, tray loading PS 2.

As for the PS 4, I will not be getting one.  The only reason I'd get one is why I got my PS 3, for an entertainment center.  I don't have Internet access availability in my room, where the PS 3.  And since I don't have any PS 3 games, I use it entirely for playing CD's, DVD's, Blu-Ray's, and container files.  The PS 4 requires phone home to activate to be able to use.  Plus, you need to phone home to download a software update to even play any CD's/DVD's/Blu-Ray's, even out of the box.  Since I can't phone home in that room, I will NOT be getting a PS 4.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.