CD image size versus actual space on a CD-R

dbminter

I created a CD sized project, or so I thought.  ImgBurn said there it was 98% of a CD size.  Image size was listed as 905,445,376 bytes.  Free space was listed as 15,837,184 bytes.  But, an 80 minute CD-R is only 700 MB, so when I try to burn this image to a CD-R, it says it wants to overburn it.  It's obviously over 700 MB since it's just under 906,000,000 bytes.

Why does ImgBurn return that this is only 98% of a CD image and says there's space left when it won't fit on what I think is the largest sized CD-R they make?  :unsure:  Do pressed CD's have a slightly larger available space than a CD-R and the listed size as a CD is a pressed CD size?

EDIT: I noticed on the bottom bar, ImgBurn returns that the target size is CD (790 MiB / 90 Min).  But, the one that fits on a CD-R is the one listed as, of course, 700 MiB / 80 Min.  Is there such a thing as a 790 MiB / 90 Min CD-R?  Or is it like I said above that 790 MiB / 90 Min CD image size is the maximum size of a pressed CD?

Are they supported by all drives?  I checked Amazon.com and saw only 1 entry.  TDK's that were only in limited stock.  And the sticker on them had Japanese so I'm guessing they're imports.  I had never heard of them before.

They were quite common when CDs were still 'big'... not so much these days obviously.

I'm pretty sure drive reviews (over at CDFreaks anyway) used to cover burning the oversized CDs... even up to 99 minute ones. I couldn't tell you which drives support them and which don't, it's not information my brain has retained!

I remember PrimeDisc.  :)  They made the first DVD-R's I ever bought in bulk.  From Shop4Tech, back before I put them on my :horse: list.  :lol:  Before, the only DVD-R's I could get were $15 a pop from a local Sears.  :o  They were quality, though, made by Panasonic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.