New Command Line Options for Error Handling

dgurrol

When running ImgBurn from the command line there is no automated way of handling read errors.

This is a specific example, but the logic may be able to be applied to any read issues in build mode.

Files are being added to the ISO file in build mode and for whatever reason a file is no longer available or encountered a read error...

"Cannot read from file: <path to file>\<file>

Reason: the specified network name is no longer available."

Retry     Cancel

...when I notice the error, sometimes hours later, I can browse to that file just fine and even open it, but when I click the retry button the same error message appears over and over. This leaves me but one option, cancel and delete the incomplete ISO file...and start the process all over again.

It would be nice to:

1. automate a retry __ times and continue if possible.

2. automate a retry __ times, cancel if still in an error condition, and delete incomplete ISO.

3. automate a retry __ times, cancel if still in an error condition, and keep incomplete ISO.

4. automate a retry __ times, cancel if still in an error condition, delete incomplete ISO, and attempt the build again

Option #4 may need some thought, could end up in an endless loop attempting to build an ISO and running into the same error over an over again, maybe a build attempt retry or something???

Since this was not a "crash" there is not a bugcheck file and the logging data would not really help, it merely shows the time of the error message.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I really appreciate this product's usefulness.

P.s. by the way and so you know...
Been trying to donate US $50 to ImgBurn via PayPal without a PayPal account. Even though I have selected United States, the County/Town selection does not change to something a little more U.S specific :-) it remains linked to the Queen's lands and though I have some friends and family in Suffolk England, that with my other U.S. data is just not going through :-)
Just thought you should know.

Why? $50 - from what I can tell this is a better programmed application than WinISO, MagicISO, and PowerISO (which are all good on their own merrit by the way, PowerISO being closest with command line options as well). I appreciate a good mind and some of the logic I can clearly see from the way the application runs, handles options - so many by the way, and deals with it's own errors independant of many (maybe not all - can't tell, have not taken the time to tell) common MS .dll's means something to me. So, with those guys charging $29.99 and the fact that I bought ALL of them and use them rarely compared to ImgBurn is free and I use it DAILY, you deserve at least the $50!

As soon as I can get this PayPal business worked out, the donation will be real :-)

Edited by dgurrol

There, the donation is finally complete, but I had to sign up for a PayPal account....oh well nothing like another password and account to keep track of to keep the mind alive!

Take Care LIGHTNING UK! Cheers and all the best to you.

I'm a little concerned that the 'Retry' option isn't working when you say you can manually browse to the file and open it yourself.

The error is coming from the OS, so that really shouldn't be the case. Of course if that error pops up in the middle of trying to read the file (which I think it may well be doing), that could explain things. When it retries the read command, it won't be attempting to open the file handle again, it'll just be trying to read from it using the existing handle.

The exact error message is really important here, so if/when it happens again, please try and provide a screenshot so I can see exactly what's going on and what it's saying. Should you be so inclined, it would be good to see the output of something like Process Monitor when ImgBurn issues the API call to read the file that then results in failure.

Thank you for the donation and thank you for the heads up (actually, a reminder) about the on going PayPal address issue. I've actually emailed them now to see why changing the 'Country' drop down box doesn't change the remaining address type options to match whatever that country would use. Seems like a bug to me.

Unfortunately the procmon did not log during the initial failure (it might be a big file too though as the job I run typically lasts for about 35-60 minutes). I am not sure if you want to see anything else specifically so I am using default filtering and nothing extra. PML files will include all events not just the displayed events.

1. Before clicking retry I opened the file - I had to do some obfuscation.
  2. I then hit retry 4 times with no luck.
  3. I built the screenshot up for you and obfuscated what I must.
  4. I then opened procmon and closed everything that was not needed, allowed all closed TCP connections to complete their move from TIME_WAIT to gone (netstat -an right after closing everything and then 2 minutes later to accommodate the TCP/IP default timeout).
  5. I captured clicking the retry button 7 more times and then I stoped procmon from capturing more events

I will email the password to the 7zip file and I hope using 7zip is not an issue for you (I personally hate installing things because someone else uses them, but I needed to get the PML file under the posting limit)

I should have thought about just putting the image in the pw protected 7zip file so I would not have had to take the time to sanitize it, I just can't show the data publicly.

Logfile.7z

Edited by dgurrol

Procmon is also showing the failure to read from those files, with the result just saying 'Disconnected'.

So I can only assume there's some issue with that source drive - i.e. X: or whatever.

What you really need to capture is the point at which the file becomes unreadable (so a log entry showing the file was opened successfully, several successful read operations and then the one where it fails) and then try to find out the actual cause of what I assume is a network file, suddenly becoming unavailable.

Solve that issue and you won't need ImgBurn to perform these extra retries etc. I know I'd prefer to have a stable system than a bit of software that may or may not be able to work around those system instabilities.

Procmon is also showing the failure to read from those files, with the result just saying 'Disconnected'.

So I can only assume there's some issue with that source drive - i.e. X: or whatever.

What you really need to capture is the point at which the file becomes unreadable (so a log entry showing the file was opened successfully, several successful read operations and then the one where it fails) and then try to find out the actual cause of what I assume is a network file, suddenly becoming unavailable.

Solve that issue and you won't need ImgBurn to perform these extra retries etc. I know I'd prefer to have a stable system than a bit of software that may or may not be able to work around those system instabilities.

True, true, just thought, the extra measure for being unattended would help someone else in events of power issues, far end computer crashes, etc. I 100% agree with you and I am fairly certain this is due to the SATA controller (it's somewhat specialized so driver updates are rare).

Thank you for the extra look though. Take care.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.