Backup of Data files to BD-R disk

laserfan

I'm making archival backups of my various computer files and data to the new 25GB BD-R M-Discs from Milleniata, and for the first one I tried UDF 1.02 and it appears to have worked just fine.

As the filesystem was prepared by ImgBurn, I saw a message appear "Generating UDF Compliant Names" which troubled me in that I thought UDF 1.02 was supposed to just leave names alone. Or maybe it had to do with looking for illegal characters?

Another question: the wikipedia information for UDF 2.50 states that added was the capability for "optional duplication of file system information". I dunno that I want or need this, but wonder if ImgBurn supports this somehow nonetheless.

I have seen comments here and elsewhere suggesting 2.50 or 2.60 for BD-R data backups but don't understand the benefit especially as 1.02 appears to be readable on any device. Comments?

Thanks to LUK for this great tool!

There are still file name length limitations, illegal chars and Unicode support that ImgBurn has to take care of - along with ensuring unique file names within a folder. The 'generating udf compliant names' bit just covers anything the program has to do for that file system.

2.50 and 2.60 have 'mirrors' of certain file system descriptors - this is already supported (and always used) by ImgBurn.

The only benefit of those is the duplicate file system descriptors.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.