EXT HDD cuts out during burns ?

BlizzardUK

I am recording DL-BD-Rs which take a good while to record, and sometimes I will come back to my PC during burning and find words to the effect of "failed to read from file : xxxxxxx.iso", giving me the option to retry. If I click retry nothing happens as the file still isn't there, but if I navigate to my external HDD in Windows Explorer, then wait 5 to 10 seconds for it to come alive again, then it is fine. I am taking a shot in the dark that Windows is putting it in power down or idle mode. I have told the power settings to to never turn off hard disks. So what is going on ? Also why isn't Windows 7 smart enough to know the drive is being used by IMG Burn so to keep the drive alive ? Surely reading from the drive is using it ? But maybe I am wrong in presuming it is down to power down, but the fact I can carry on burning when I click on the drive in Windows Explorer must mean it is being re-powered up or something.

Any ideas how to keep the external HDD alive without being at the PC myself ? 

Thanks. I will try the USB selective suspend option. Yes, it is connected via USB to a docking station style dock. 

Thanks for advice. Still can't understand though why Windows can't recognise the drive is being used as it is being read from. 

As you say it is connected through docking station, it may be that it's controller has the problem that interfere with Windows and timig out.

Is there any software/driver needed for the docking station to work with Windows. Try update it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.