Slightly Confused About the Create MDS File Option

RightThere

If I backup a Dual Layer DVD using DVDFab HD Decrypter as an .iso to my hard drive, can I instead burn it with ImgBurn using the .ini file that DVDFab creates, since there's no initial .mds file?

Or, do I have to go into Imgburn and select "Create MDS File" and then select the .iso file in question?

Edited by RightThere

I don't know why DVD Fab would create an .INI file.  .INI files have nothing to do with ISO's unless DVD Fab creates .INI files for its own use to burn them.

I'd think there would be no need to create an MDS or DVD file with burning an ISO in ImgBurn, even if it's a dual layer DVD.  Just load the ISO in ImgBurn and burn it.

I don't know why DVD Fab would create an .INI file.  .INI files have nothing to do with ISO's unless DVD Fab creates .INI files for its own use to burn them.

I'd think there would be no need to create an MDS or DVD file with burning an ISO in ImgBurn, even if it's a dual layer DVD.  Just load the ISO in ImgBurn and burn it.

But if the .iso is from a Dual Layer DVD, it needs to have its layer-break set properly or the disc won't play.  That's why I'm asking about the Create an MDS File option.  Would Create an MDS File solve that issue?

Edited by RightThere

Besides, if you loaded the ISO file itself in Write mode, wouldn't you still be prompted to place in a layer break when you start the burn?  The LB info won't be saved to a file but it will be burned to the disc.  I'd think all you'd need a .DVD or .MDS file for is for mounting the ISO in a virtual disc drive.  And, in one of those, the layer break shouldn't matter.

I'm afraid I'm not qualified on the contents of what a .MDS file contains.  So, I don't know if it's suitable for what you're asking for or not.  I haven't used .MDS since I used to use Alcohol 52% as my virtual disc drive software.  I switched to Virtual CloneDrive.  So, I don't know what a .MDS contains, like the layer break info.  The only time I create .MDS files is if I need to read a multipart image into DVD Shrink without mounting it, which is rare.

That's correct, it's not suitable.

An MDS with no original layerbreak position specified within it is no different to a plain old ISO.

One other question I forgot to ask:

When creating a dual-layer DVD Iso with DVD Fab HD Decrypter, that program also creates an accompanying .ini file for the layer break.  Can Imgburn's "Create MDS File" feature use the layer break info from the .ini file to create an .mds file?

What's in the ini file exactly? Attach one or copy + paste its contents please.

It appears that at least in DVDFAB HD Decrypter 9.1.5.9, the program does not create an .ini file when making a dual-layer DVD Iso.  As a result, I cannot provide that to you, otherwise I would do so. 

You're right, then.  With this program, it's better to rip the disc as a folder and then build the image in ImgBurn to get the proper layer break.  Thanks for your assistance regardless.

I know that the sharp version in Clone mode and if ImgBurn is installed, calls up ImgBurn to set the layer break and let ImgBurn create the ISO.

It can create an .ini file and here is the layout of such one. The name of the file is example DVDNAME.ini

[ISO]
Files=DVDNAME.iso
LayerBreak=1906672

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.