Does Creation of ISO preserve bootability?

MoJ

I'm new to imgBurn and like what I've seen so far. I have not seen the issue I have in detail since it is quite specific. Here goes...I have an Acronis Bootable DVD +R DL that I have created. It has the bootable 'folder' (Recovery Manager) along with an image file of a laptop (*.tib file) and a folder of data files. This DVD boots into Acronis and we load our laptops with the laptop image. We've gotten requests to create an ISO file of this DVD so others can extract and use, but it's important to keep the bootability. I have created an ISO and each time that I burn it to disc and test in a laptop, it boots to Windows 7 instead of Acronis. The  DVD is a closed multi-border data disc. Border 1 Zone 01 has 64 MB and Border 2  Zone 02 contains 6.6 GB. Can I get a summary of steps to take to perform the ISO creation then the ISO burn to DVD that preserves the Acronis bootable parameter?

thanks for reading & for any feedback!

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS40N A100 (SATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 3,398,816
Size: 6,960,775,168 bytes
Time: 755:19:41 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Read Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x
Current Read Speed: 3.3x - 8x, 8x - 3.3x

File System Information:
Sectors: 3,398,816
Size: 6,960,775,168 bytes
Time: 755:19:41 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:
Session 1... (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01  (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 3398815)
-> LeadOut  (LBA: 3398816)

Track Information:
Session 1...
-> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, LTS: 3398816, LRA: 0)

Disc Control Blocks Information:
HL-DT-ST GS40N

Physical Format Information (ADIP - L0):
Disc ID: MKM-003-00
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

Physical Format Information (ADIP - L1):

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L0):
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 1,896,015

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L1):
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 1,896,015

Layer Information:
Layer 0 Sectors: 1,699,408 (50%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 1,699,408 (50%)

Ah, that may be the problem.  Unless you extract the boot image from the bootable media and select specific, highly specialized options to boot, it won't boot.  From a bootable disc, you can't just copy over the disc contents in Build mode because the actual booting part is stored somewhere else.

I never had much luck creating bootable discs in Build mode, I'm afraid.

There is a command somewhere in the advanced options for extracting the boot image from the source disc.  You can then set this image as the boot sector for the image file you're creating.  However, there are various advanced options that need to be set based on which version of Windows you're booting into.  However, I believe the Acronis boot sector might be Linux based, so you'd need different options for that.

You might try MagicDisc.  I think it creates ISO's of DVD DL discs and I think it's free.

After looking it up, it appears it's called MagicISO instead.

What I do with bootable discs is once I have an image file, which I rarely have trouble with reading them with ImgBurn, is I use UltraISO to remove or inject new files into the image and save it.  That way, the bootable part remains untouched and I don't have to set various advanced options in ImgBurn with the bootable image.

Thanks, I will try MagicISO. Yes, Acronis bundles it's bootable part so I'm not sure that it can be extracted. We have created a method to create a bootable rescue media then add the other folders to the disc within the DVD writing software. This works well and copies can be made as well. It's just the ISO part that isn't working which is unfortunate.

The image part should be extracable.  It's a standard part of the disc and ImgBurn has the function to extract it.  However, for Build mode, there are those advanced options which, as I said, vary depending on the OS being booted.

Plus, the files to boot the CD might be separate from the files that run afterwards.  For instance, the Acronis rescue environment might be on the same part of the disc that is visible to Windows, that contains your Acronis image files.

I used to use Acronis True Image and cannot recall ever coming across an error where ImgBurn would not read a rescue disc to an image file.  So, I don't know why you've got multi-session discs.  What software are you using to add files and folders to rescue media to?  That may be what is actually causing the problem.  That software may be writing multi-session image files.  I know UltraISO injects the Macrium Reflect image files I add to their recovery ISO's.  I never tried reading one of these discs with ImgBurn to see if it would.  Let me start a test read now.  It reads the discs so UltraISO doesn't create multi-session discs.  And near as I can recall, I used to inject True Image image files into Acronis rescue media.  BUT I don't think I ever read the discs with ImgBurn.  I don't think I ever did back when I using TI regularly (Which was years ago as the last version of TI that worked was TI 11.  NOT 2011, but TI 11, going back THAT far.) because TI had the option to write the recovery environment to one of the discs in the image set.  Something Reflect doesn't do, hence my need to inject Reflect image files into the recovery ISO's.

I agree, the multi-session disc is what is most likely causing the problems, but that is the nature of our software. Here is a summary of how we create our software. A bootable image is made of the laptop using Acronis. This image is saved off on to the hard drive. A new disc is placed into the tray and an Acronis bootable rescue media is built. With the Acronis bootable rescue media still in the tray, then the media creation software on the laptop (Multi-media Center for Think Offerings) is started, with the option of writing a data disc. Some folders are added to the disc along with a folder containing the Laptop image file. Then we click on "load disc" on the media creation software, and the contents of the bootable media are added. Then the media is created and finalized. The disc boots up into Acronis and the customer can load the laptop. Once that is done the other folders are used for loading another computer system. Changing this process is not an option at this point, to ensure configuration integrity.

Yeah, from what you post, it sounds like the software you use to create these discs is the culprit.  I'm only guessing, but to preserve the bootable nature of the bootable source disc, that disc is "imaged" as the first session.  Then, a 2nd session is added to the image you're creating that contains this new data, the True Image image backup TIB files.

The data summary that I posted was from the ISO burned copy. And yes, the bootable nature of the disc in on the first session. Here's a summary of the original disc from the ImgBurn software. Checksums are the same, btw, of the original disc and the disc that was created from the ISO image, just not bootable.

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS40N A100 (SATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: No
Sessions: 2
Sectors: 3,417,632
Size: 6,999,310,336 bytes
Time: 759:30:32 (MM:SS:FF)
MID: MKM-001-00
Supported Read Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x
Current Read Speed: 3.3x - 8x, 8x - 3.3x

File System Information:
Sectors: 3,450,550
Size: 7,066,726,400 bytes
Time: 766:49:25 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:
Session 1... (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01  (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 34975)
Session 2... (LBA: 34976)
-> Track 02  (Mode 1, LBA: 34976 - 3417631)
-> LeadOut  (LBA: 3417632)

Track Information:
Session 1...
-> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, LTS: 32928, LRA: 0)
Session 2...
-> Track 02 (LTSA: 34976, LTS: 3382656, LRA: 0)

Disc Control Blocks Information:
MATSHITA 852

Physical Format Information (ADIP - L0):
Disc ID: MKM-001-00
Disc Size: 120 mm

Physical Format Information (ADIP - L1):

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L0):

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L1):

Layer Information:
Layer 0 Sectors: 2,086,912 (61.06%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 1,330,720 (38.94%)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.