How do I burn an ISO file to DVD?

JohnthePilot

Try to get away from budget brands.

If you see the bit I quoted in my previous post, it is pretty easy to see they are TDKs.

LFC is right though - we say it 100 times a day. Use Verbatims (MCC dye) or Taiyo Yudens only.

Regards

Thanks to you both.

I'll try and stick with Verbatim (never seen Taiyo) for +R discs, but if what ifcrule says is true, then it's worth perservering with Tesco's +RW discs. At least if something goes wrong I don't end up with a coaster. I can simply reformat it :)

Cheers,

Pilot.

PS Nobody has explained why ImgBurn has increased the size of the image file from that created by DVD Shrink.

If you're referring to this as the increased size...

I 03:09:52 Source File Size: 4,681,465,856 bytes

... that value is in bytes, not MB. You can't just move the decimal point and call it 4.68GB, it's not.

You have to divide by 1024 each time, not 1000.

So it's actually 4.36 GB

If you're referring to this as the increased size...

I 03:09:52 Source File Size: 4,681,465,856 bytes

... that value is in bytes, not MB. You can't just move the decimal point and call it 4.68GB, it's not.

You have to divide by 1024 each time, not 1000.

So it's actually 4.36 GB

Doh! I've been up all night and my brain isn't working :sleeping:

How can you tell the dye manufacturer from that log?

when IMGburn opens put a isc in the drive and look at the disc ID like this, manufacturers ID, this is Verbatim with MCC dye

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 1,743,382

Size: 3,570,446,336 bytes

Time: 387:27:07 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20

or from your log

03:09:52 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: TDK-003-00) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

Its a little window below Imgburn, that is called a "log" copy everything in that window so we can see whats going on.

Wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :/

In case you hadn't noticed I had already posted my log and it wasn't where you said.

Regards,

Pilot.

If I were you, I would only be looking for Verbatim media or Taiyo Yuden with ID of either TYG02 or TYG03. :)

Hi ifcrule,

I've taken your advice and got some Verbatim discs. Incidentally, the manufacturer is given as YUDEN000-T03-00. Are Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden the same?

Further to my earlier posts, is the dye manufacturer the same as the disc manufacturer? This is what what was confusing me when I asked how you knew who the dye manufacturer was, cos you seemed to suggest my TDK discs were fakes cos of the dye manufacturer, but there is no information in my log (or the ImgBurn information) other than disc manufacturer.

Regards,

Pilot.

Ignore the names the program gives the info, those names are taken from the MMC specs.

The manufacturer id (on minus format media) and disc id (on plus format media) ARE the dye manufacturer/type.

Thanks Lightning. That's all I wanted to know. It seemed such a simple question yet caused so much confusion.

Regards,

Pilot.

Hi Cornholio,

With Nero BurningRom I simply burn the VOB and IFO files to the DVD. Am I right in assuming that with ImgBurn I first have to create an ISO file on my hard drive using the Build Mode then burn this to the DVD using the Write Mode, cos all the guides seem to be about create ISO files or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Pilot.

JohnthePilot, Your above statement is correct. Burn the image from your harddrive to media and you should not have any problems. Let us know what happens :)

Hi Kev,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply to this particular post (and to da Clown's suggestion) but have been having problems with my machine.

I've tried both methods and they both work fine. Also find no problems with Verbatim and, strangely enough Tesco's own brand +RW, so I'll stick with those.

Many thanks,

Cheers,

Pilot.

• 2 weeks later...
JohnthePilot, Thanks for getting back to us....... happy burning :)

Hi Kev (and others who have contributed to this thread),

Have been using Verbatim +R discs for last two weeks and no problems. It may be of interest to UK users that Maplins are selling 100 packs for ?40. Good value.

Regards,

Pilot.

Im not sure where to else to look for info, so Im going to try my luck here. Im trying to burn a Ubuntu (Linux OS) .iso image file onto a blank MAXELL DVD-R with 4.7GB of space on it and is writable up to 16x speed. The recording drive I am using is a Lite-On LTR-48246S drive, and when I try to burn the disc using ImgBurn, at the very bottom left-hand corner (info-screen) it says "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)". Can anyone help me from the infromation I have provided? If you need more description please say so, I will make it available. Thanks for any help in advance.

Edited by Lite_on

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.