Load settings with file is volatile

Dogway

I have a fallback template settings file that I can revert to after I touched too much or simply to use after a reformat.

As per documentation I use this line:

imgburn.exe /SETTINGS SettingsImgBurn.ini

This is both to dump settings to file, or if the file is present, to load them.

Problem is, after I close ImgBurn, these settings are lost, so in the end I have to do everything by hand. Am I missing something?

Also a bit offtopic but do you recommend turning on OPC for blurays? I use a Pioneer BDR207 writer with Panasonic discs.

Edited by Dogway

Settings aren't lost, they're always written somewhere unless the program has been told not to save them.

Are you trying to load them from a file but save to the registry? I don't suppose that's supported. Export the registry key instead and import it if you mess things up too much.

I don't know about OPC. You'd have to burn and scan discs with it configured each way and see which produces the better burns.

Open Microsoft Registry Editor and find the following key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ImgBurn

Export this key to a .REG file.  Now all you need to do is double click the .REG file each time you want to import the settings back into ImgBurn.

Keep in mind that every time you change a setting from something other than what you saved in the .REG file, you'll have to make a new .REG file after you change the setting in ImgBurn.

You'd also probably save some time by adding this key to your Favorites in Registry Editor.

Thank you.

I was worried that would also save ImgBurn install specific settings not related over a format.

Thanks for help.

btw, is it possible to convert a settings.ini file to reg? I tried to capture reg while loading the settings but that didn't do the trick.

Edited by Dogway

I'm afriad I don't know anything about install specific settings.  I just know I have to import the .REG file after installing ImgBurn on a new PC to restore my settings.

I also don't know if there's a way to convert an .INI to a .REG file.  I'd have to say no.  It could probably be done by manually editing the settings.  However, you're probably going to save more time by just manually changing the settings in ImgBurn and exporting the .REG file.

Also, be sure that you've closed ImgBurn before exporting the .REG file.  I forgot to mention that.  That way, you're ensured that ImgBurn wrote all the settings to the Registry.

Yeah, I've never even heard of that INI importing install switch before so I can't say anything about how that works.

Has it worked for you before in the past to import settings from an .INI file?

I've always used .REG files ever since, er, a certain program before ImgBurn, and definitely after the release of ImgBurn.  I've never had any problems with importing .REG settings to restore ImgBurn settings.

Are you saying that this ini switch imports the ImgBurn settings so that the settings are active while ImgBurn is open but that when you close ImgBurn, the settings are not saved?  If so, I guess this INI switch doesn't allow for saving the settings to the Registry.

You may have a workaround by creating a shortcut with the INI switch in it and running ImgBurn from that shortcut.  That way, you're always running ImgBurn with the INI settings imported each time you run the shortuct with the swtich.

I'm not one to question how program works, many programs use a ini file for reading settings, instead of using registry. I though this was one half-way there approach to that.

Yes that's what happens, I load the ini and after close ImgBurns settings are not saved. Which leads me to think on the meaning of this load/dump setting files thing, I wondered if I was doing something wrong since it's a ver strange behavior.

/SETTINGS "<File Name>"
    Used to override loading the settings from the registry, and instead load from / save to the specified file.
    If the file does not exist, default settings will be used and the program will attempt to save to the specified file when it's closed.

Even if this switch is not specified, the program will attempt to load from 'ImgBurn.ini' in the application exe's directory BEFORE it loads from the registry.

I'm gonna try to rename it to ImgBurn.ini to see if it works. edit: yes that worked.

Edited by Dogway

That switch is for when you need to use the program as portable to prevent the write in the registry.

Yes, if you put the file beside the exe you don't need the switch. Every change you will make from now on in the Settings will be saved in the ini not in registry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.