YAMAHA CRW2100E CD-TEXT support problem

LAURENTIU CULEA

Hello!

Nice to meet you all! This is my first post here, so please excuse me as I might make some mistakes.

I'm sorry if my problem has been faced by other members with their drives, but here's my problem.

I recently purchased a cheap old YAMAHA CRW2100E cd-rw drive in mint condition. I know that others may laugh, but I'm a fan of old drives. Before buying this drive, I've been using a TEAC CD-W54E for quite some years together with IMGBURN. The TEAC drive always managed to write and read CD-TEXT info flawless in IMGBURN. The YAMAHA drive doesn't seem to have support for CD-TEXT, as reported by IMGBURN (please see attachment). I have updated the firmare to the latest version 1.0N.Other progs (e.g. EAC, Nero or Sony CD Architect, that I have used in the past) read/write CD-TEXT without problem on the YAMAHA drive. I must confess that I've used IMGBURN for quite a while but only as a beginner, writing only Audio CD's. Is there a setting in IMGBURN that I'm not aware of?

Please, any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

post-54481-0-91199600-1426704848_thumb.png

I don't recall the program actually caring about the drive saying CD-TEXT is supported or not. Seeing as that drive is so old, it may not be fully MMC compliant and actually report its full capabilities.

What happens when it burns? Does it not attempt to write CD-TEXT? Post the log of you burning + verifying a CD (with CD-TEXT) please.

Hello!

First of all I would like to thank you LIGHTNING UK! for your quick reply.

Well, today I came home earlier (than usual) from work and started burning an audio cd with the YAMAHA drive. No CD TEXT has been burned on the disc. Then I have replaced the YAMAHA drive with the old TEAC CD-W54E and burned the same image. This time the CD TEXT has been written, as expected. What I find a bit strange is the fact that the MCN code has been burned by the YAMAHA drive as well.

I have attached the logs for each burn+verify and also media info in each case. I thought that it would help to attach nero info on each drive, hope you don't mind.

I also find it peculiar that the TEAC drive (mfg. date October 2000) with lesser capabilities than the YAMAHA drive (mfg. date January 2001) is able to burn CD TEXT. This fact is stated by IMGBURN drive capabilities window as well.

In the attachments you can find the logs and screen captures for info.

Thank you for your time,

Greetings,

Laurentiu.

2015-03-19_YAMAHA_CRW2100E_Burn_Log.log

post-54481-0-33567800-1426785409_thumb.png

post-54481-0-05473600-1426785439_thumb.png

2015-03-19_TEAC_CD-W54E_Burn_Log.log

post-54481-0-13364700-1426785457_thumb.png

post-54481-0-85372000-1426785463_thumb.png

post-54481-0-51116900-1426785471_thumb.png

Ah ok, it isn't attempting to write the LeadIn with CD-TEXT on the Samsung drive - it turns out that it does want the drive to report it either supports reading or writing CD-TEXT before it'll try to burn a CD-TEXT leadin.

Can you do me a favour please... load ImgBurn (make sure it just goes to the Ez-Mode Picker screen), press the F8 key to enable I/O debug mode and then click 'Tools' -> 'Search for SCSI / ATAPI devices'.

You should see loads of entries being written to the log. Once the scan has finished and things quieten down / stop, use the File -> Save option in the log window to make a new log and then upload that for me to look at.

Sorry, I do actually need the log from when the Yamaha drive is in the machine. I'm just wondering why it's not reporting cdtext capabilities in the way it's supposed to.

I can see Nero info tool says it supports cdtext but they could just be going from a database for the less MMC compliant drives.

If you don't want to swap the drive back out, don't worry, I just can't then get to the bottom of the issue. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.