Proof to avoid Ritek DVD+R DL

dbminter

If anyone needed proof to avoid Ritek DVD+R DL's and use only Verbatim, I have empirical evidence.

Before I knew that Verbatim DVD+R DL's were the only way to go, I got some Office Depot Ritek DVD+R DL's in 2008.  I went back to read 3 of them today.  Of the 3, only 1 was readable to an image file.  One of the others was recognized as a disc in File Explorer, but couldn't read all of the contents off of it.  The other one was complete unrecognizable as a disc in File Explorer.  The drive light kept flashing for 5 minutes before the drive timed out trying to read it.  File Explorer simply returned that it was a DVD and did not recognize any contents.

So, stop using those Memorex CMC and other companies' Ritek DVD+R DL's!  They may complete a burn and verify, but 7 years later, they will most likely not be readable!

But, you want to know the weird thing?  Shortly after I got the Office Depot Ritek DVD+R DL's, I got some TDK Ritek DVD+R DL's before I realized Verbatims were the only way to go.  I've been copying those TDK's made shortly after the Office Depot discs to BD-R's to save what I could and all 8 of the TDK's I've copied so far read to image files!  :unsure:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.