burning mpeg to dvd

mike pauw

I'm sorry to sound like such a dope, but I've tried looking through the guides and I've been overwhelmed. I've started digitizing VHS tapes, and my program has saved them to my hard drive as mpeg-files (the program says they're saved as mpeg-2 files, but I don't know what that means). So, my next step was to burn the videos to DVD-Rs, and I actually successfully burned one already using imgBurn. I simply chose "Write files/folders to disc", selected the file I wanted and clicked the icon to begin the burn. And it worked fine. However, evertime I try to burn a disc after that first time, It get the message of "Synchronise cache failed! Reason: Program Memory area update failure". Something has been written to the disc, so I can't use it, but there's no working video. What is going on here?????post-54715-0-79684900-1432442486_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike pauw

You're using bad discs because of the Disc ID field in the image you posted.  It says CMC MAG.  CMC MAG is CMC Magnetics, the worst optical disc manufacturer out there.  Just because Philips put their name on it doesn't mean they made it.  They farmed it out to CMC like Memorex and Verbatim do.  Anything you buy in a brick and mortar store will be CMC.  You will have to get media online and even then you'll need to read the reviews and see what they list as the DID/MID/Disc ID/Manufacturer ID.  You'll want Verbatim but only DataLife Plus NOT Life series or you'll want Taiyo Yuden DVD-R.  Verbatim does farm out to CMC but they also farm out to Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, one of the best optical media manufacturers out there.

Most of the errors people report here are caused by cheap media, CMC being the primary culprit.  With CMC, you're lucky if they start burning.  If they do start, you're lucky if they finish.  If they do finish, you're lucky if they finish Verify.  And if they finish Verify, you're lucky if your DVD player will actually play them.

Philips is known to vomit CMC DVD-R's.  I've experienced it personally.  I found 2 of them for a dollar at Dollar Tree.  I knew they were CMC's at that price but I was curious and it would only cost me a buck to see.  Sure enough, as I knew, they were CMC's.  :angry:  So, they were immediately shredded.

• 2 weeks later...

Believe me, I know the evils of CMC.  :)  Before I learned of CMC, I wasted about $1,000 in more copies of CMC media and new DVD recorders.  I had been using Optodisc DVD-R, which used to be a good brand.  Then, they started crapping out, not finishing burns, not finishing Verifies, etc.  Then, I randomly came across a post somewhere else about CMC and decided to see if these Optodiscs were now CMC's.  That they had changed manufacturers.  Sure enough, these failing discs were CMC's.  Ever since then, I've ragged on CMC because they are the scum of the Earth when it comes to optical media.

Just one guess: CMC is made up in Tchaiwan or Indonesia? That would give some information why CMC are so bad, everything from Indonesia will be really bad quality. I never looked to disk ID, now I will. Anyway, I never had any troubles with burning, everything finished successfuly. Maybe I was lucky to avoid CMC :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.