Symantec Security Detects virus in download

Joe Auerbach

I've heard good things about Imgburn, wanted to try it. I downloaded from the Imgburn site as well as 4 mirrors. Each time my Symantec Security pops up with having found a virus and removes the file. Is everything infected ? Doesn't seem likely (let's leave the 'junkware' issue aside for the moment). Any thoughts ? The supposed virus is the same in whichever mirror I load from, but if I try it from a different machine it shows a different virus. If nobody has any thoughts here I'll try Symantec support.

Thanx

Let me guess.  Symantec is flagging OpenCandy as a virus.  It's not a virus.  Many AV software vendors flag it as a virus.  It's unnecessaryware but relatively harmless as long as you don't get click happy during what it tries to install for you.  I just disconnect from the Internet whenever I run an OC wrapped installer like ImgBurn's or Freemake software.  That way, OC can't download or run anything.  Doesn't help in your case as your AV is deleting the file before you can even run it.

Hi Joe

Use 7zip to extract the ImgBurn exe from the installer pack and avoid OpenCandy.

One thing I should say with this, if you like ImgBurn, please make a donation to offset the loss of any revenue Lightning UK may receive from bundling targeted ad programs like OpenCandy.

I'm a firm believer in users having the right to reject any unwanted installs but developers like Lightning UK spend a lot of effort & time with these projects and they deserve our help if we use their product. 

Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.