Burning a DVD5 size DVD to DVD9 media.

Damned

Yes, I realize I don't need a disc of that size for a DVD5, but all I have on me are DVD9s because it is what I need 99% of the time.

Anyways, when I go to burn a DVD5 disc with DVD9 media, for some reason, IMGburn still presents to me layer break options, both when I calculate the size and when I go to start a burn (Usually, only one option for the layer break is available). Why is this the case? I remember the program just skipping any layer break stuff the first couple of times I did this, because the size of the file wouldn't require another data layer to be burned to. IMGburn even warned me about the file not being burned using the proper standards of the DVD spec or something of those lines (No, I can't produce a log of this because it has been overwritten since I made that burn.), yet the DVD played fine in my DVD drive at least (Didn't test in my DVD player yet).

Should I be picking the "Ignore Layer Break" option in this situation? Would there even be any noticeable difference in choosing a "layer break" on a DVD5 size VIDEO_TS / ISO when burning to DVD9 media? 

Edited by Damned

If it's prompting you to pick a layer break position, it's because whatever you're burning won't fit on layer 0 alone.

Don't forget, layers on a DL disc are smaller than the layer on a SL disc.

2 x SL disc does not equal 1 x DL disc. The DL disc holds less.

You're burning in build mode aren't you? Therefore you'd never have an MDS file to burn from (and it doesn't apply).

As for the amount on each layer, that's whatever it lists as the free capacity on the blank DL disc and then divide it by 2. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.