Problem burning/verifying DVD+R DL games

McNiffu

I'm trying to burn some Wii games so I can have a (sort of) physical copy, but I'm having problems with dual layer games. Single layer games all work fine.

Burner: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632N 0503

Media: 8x Verbatim (MKM-003-00) DVD+R Dual Layer

Burner speeds: 3x, 4x, 6x (tried 3x and 6x

Wii: The Wii has a RVL-001 (EUR) model number and is produced for the European market. The copyright year is 2006. There is a 75% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C2 (v2) and the drive has the new metal clip. And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-DMS.

ImgBurn: Latest version, downloaded a few days ago from the official website

Mod: My Wii is softmodded using ModMii for sysmenu 4.3E, no disc mod.

All my single layer games are burnt using 3x speed and booktyped to DVD-ROM using the Samsung tab (says "Success!"). The games show up under the regular disc channel but obviously I need to play them through NeoGamma, which also works.

When I do the same for dual layer, however, ImgBurn can't seem to verify the disc (dies around 49%). Also when popping it in the Wii the disc doesn't even seem to spin up. I set the layerbreak to 2084960, as I found out through searching that's pretty much a requirement.

If I use 6x speed instead the verification process will exit around 55%. Disc also doesn't seem to spin up in the Wii. I've tried a few different ISOs (trying to burn Xenoblade in particular at the moment), same shit for all of them.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I've wasted about 6 DVDs on this already.

Logs:

ImgBurn

ImgBurn Disc Info window

Edited by McNiffu

I already read that page, but it's not really helpful. I'm already using Verbatims, my burner works fine on single layer DVDs (it's the same process for DL afaik), the drive is already clean and the firmware is the latest official FW I could find. I can't seem to find 2.4x discs, but my burner doesn't even go that low anyways (3x is minimum).

Other than that, I found another burner (HP DH-16A3L-CT2) which is a bit newer so I suppose it might work a bit better. I also have a Matshita UJ-8A8 HB14 but I heard/read those are pure garbage for this purpose.

I just cba to keep creating nice shiny coasters, I'd like some sort of confirmation.

Using Verbatim will not solve the problem in your particular case, I'm affraid.

Your drive report that can burn only 3x, 4x, 6x while the media is 8x rated so you fall into the category that point 4 and 5 from that link applies to you.

So I tried the other burner, which supported 4x, 6x and 8x speeds. I supposed it's more compatible with these discs so I tried it anyways at 4x, it's also not a slimline. I always see people recommending to burn at the slowest possible speed, also this page shows a similar drive (second one in the table) which seems to have the highest burn quality at 4x. But alas, although it now verifies successfully it still won't be read by my Wii.

Instead of creating dual layer coasters (wasted 8 already), I tried to find a DVD5 version of the ISO with English audio and subs only. I burnt this on 16x Verbatims using 3x speed and the TSSTCorp (slimline) burner and it works instantly.

I used the exact same settings for the DL as I did for the SL, with the addition of the layer break. Not sure why it just won't take, maybe my Wii is fucked up? Although original SSBB, Other M and Xenoblade work just fine, and those are also dual layers. O.o

Do not think that DL is the same as SL burn.  In case of the failure most of the problems are related to second layer burn. DL burn seams to require more accuracy from the drive even if you use the top media.

Maybe your drive is on the way out and you need a modern one that can deal with the new media.

You should visit other forums that deals with wii stuffs to find what you need to buy for what you want to achieve.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.