Virtual CloneDrive will most likely cease development

dbminter

With the closing of Slysoft as a business, it seems that Virtual CloneDrive will also cease development.  And the only way to get it now is to find some software repository that keeps copies of installers and not just offer links to the company's download location.  Slysoft's download page is already disabled, so you can't get it from them.

Actually, looks like I may have spoken too soon.  Seems Virtual CloneDrive is developed by Elaborate Bytes and that Slysoft was just offering it on their behalf.  EB is still offering the software on its site, so it looks like Virtual CloneDrive may not cease development after all.

• 2 weeks later...

VCD is not a bad program but in its current state it's just useless. It can open only a few formats but BIN, B6T, B6I and B00 are not among them which makes VCD rather useless program. It also can't open some images created with the Alcohol software. Not to mention it takes a rather long time to open a regular ISO (for example - ISO created with ImgBurn from a DVD disc) while Daemon Tools Lite opens all formats instantaneously.

In short - I wouldn't regret it if the development of VCD ceases.

It's not useless.  I use it over all the other options.  I've never come across any of those formats you mentioned except BIN, but VCD can support CUE files to load BIN.  You do have to manually set it, though.

I don't use Alcohol or Daemon Tools because I've found it can be rendered useless by some firewall software, like ZoneAlarm.  It's various pass through supports don't load when the firewalls are running.  Or maybe it was the other way around, I forget.  Maybe it was the firewalls didn't work when when the virtual drives were installed.  I think it was as I originally said, though.

VCD probably can't open Alcohol image files because they are a proprietary format and have to be licensed.  I don't think ImgBurn ever supported them for that reason.

That's the problem - even with a CUE file VCD refused to open a BIN and returned errors. That's why I switched back to Daemon Tools. Before DT I used VCD for over a year.

As for the other formats, I've seen them in several torrents one of which is NFS Carbon.

ScreenShot13.png

The only way I could play that game was to open these files with DTLite. No other program could open them, not even VCD.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.