Using BD-RE as 'Flash Drive' any downsides?

FuckThisShit

So windows gave me the option to use my freshly formatted 25GB BD-RE as 'flash drive'. So I can write/delete/rewrite files onto the disc. As far as I understand Imgburn does not offer this capability. Because Imgburn is all about Images. Writing a few files to a BD-RE would mean, I have to quick-format and then re-write the whole disc at once (If I understand wrong please tell me what is right).

Back to using the BD-RE as a 'flash drive' within Windows explorer. re there any downsides?

I've been using formatted BD-RE DL's for about a year now to store monthly file backups to.  The backup verifies (Not ImgBurn.) have been fine for the year.  So, I haven't had any problems doing so for a year.

There is always the inherent problem with rewritable discs not being as reliable.  Plus they won't last as long as a write once read many disc.  And a rewritable does have a finite number of rewrites built into it.

A USB flash drive is probably the better choice, though.  They'll definitely be faster than using a 2x maximum rated RE disc.  You can use R BD discs but you can't reuse the space once it's filled.  And they're smaller in terms of storage space versus the size of a BD disc.  Plus, you can get capacities that exceed even the largest BD XL which I think is 125 GB.  They make 128 and 256 GB flash drives.

Fast flashdrives arent too reliable either. On my mobile device transfers go from 190mb/s to a sudden 700kb/s per transfer. Why I don't know. It's for another forum. Plus quick flashdrives are more expensive than 1 25GB disc. For storing tv shows. And in the event of having to add more to fill up the disc. Because Im forest like that. Its more convenient for me. But flashdrive is taken to consideration!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.