Posting log files, four cosasters

random

I made four bran new coasters yesterday (ought to keep the wife happy) 2 were made with imgburn and two were made with Nero. The logs from Nero I think are more telling and that is because both burns were failed at the exact same spot. However the burns were two different burns ie, the first one was from vob files and the second from an iso image and both files were different sizes.

11:50:54 PM #30 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 5839

Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S

Book Type request [LO], rev 3: DVD+R

Changing the Book Type was finished successfully, return code 0

11:50:54 PM #31 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832

Burn process failed at 16x (22,160 KB/s)

Both Nero burns failed at the exact same spot in bold above.

The imgburn fails happened for different reasons. The first fail I got a js error that said it was due to crc (cyclic redundancy check) I checked the file with cdcheck and there was the one error so I ripped again the file and checked it with cdcheck and it came up clean so I went to burn again but it had a js message regarding CR protection.

Here are my two imgburn logs

http://code.pastebin.ca/210011

I did search last night on the Nero error and it would seem that it is either a firmware update needed or has to do with incd.

How do you either flash a drive or update the firmware?

TIA

Welcome aboard and all that. :) Get rid of InCD for a start. All packet writers like InCD cause havoc with your drive. More specifically, they cause havoc with other programs trying to access them. Secondly, get some decent media as OPTODISC media is garbage. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are what we recommend around these parts. Lastly, the newest firmware for your drive is v.HS0D which you can find here:

http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/ODD/SHM-...re/DR16HS0D.zip

Thanks Shamus for the quick reply, I did try that link you posted for firmware and the link is no longer valid. Last night I download the correct firmware for my drive but am unsure how to add it. I checked in the device manager and could not find anything.

I

also DL a flash.exe for flashing my drive but wanted to make sure that it is necessary.

And I also got an Incd clean tool, how can I check that it actually was removed?

Before I sound too stupid, I did search for incd and can not find any trace on my PC, I never did install it but Nero likes to add it in and does not add it to the Nero folders.

I just checked the registry editor and the clean tool is in almost every folder for nero, I am not sure if this is by default or since I downloaded it last night?

Sorry for being longwinded, two things, 1.) how to add firmware? and second to make sure incd is gone.

Thanks

And trying to write at 16x on junk media - seems like you wanted to make coasters for the missus!!

Read and implement the Golden Rules of Burning.

Plus, you are running low on hard disk space and this could affect buffers. Buy a bigger hard drive or clean the other one out.

Regards

Lite on is real easy to flash I have one of their ROMs.Open IMGburn right click on the burner in the destination box ,last line in the menu is update firmware click on it and you will see a window that will tell you what firmware you have click OK and it will take you to the firmware site, find the newest FW for your drive download it and save it, then open the folder Lite On has a firmware flasher which will be in the folder click on that and follow the prompts .Make sure all other programs are closed whie you flash the FW then when its done reboot :thumbup:

Thanks Shamus for the quick reply, I did try that link you posted for firmware and the link is no longer valid. Last night I download the correct firmware for my drive but am unsure how to add it. I checked in the device manager and could not find anything.

My apologies. I didn't check the validity of the link. After quite a bit of searching I finally found the damned thing. Grab it from my webspace @ http://users.tpg.com.au/adsldxhe/dr16hs0d.zip

I also DL a flash.exe for flashing my drive but wanted to make sure that it is necessary.
Depends. Every hardware vendor is different. Try the link above to see if you need it.
And I also got an Incd clean tool, how can I check that it actually was removed?

InCD (technically) doesn't have to be removed/uninstalled. It just needs to be prevented from starting. A decent registry cleaner like RegCleaner (my favourite) can do this job easily.

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/...-cleaner4.3.htm

Before I sound too stupid, I did search for incd and can not find any trace on my PC, I never did install it but Nero likes to add it in and does not add it to the Nero folders.
You're not stupid. A stupid question would be one that is easily answered by reading the FAQ or asking a question that has been asked 50,000 times previously. We're here to help. We're not here to ridicule.
I just checked the registry editor and the clean tool is in almost every folder for nero, I am not sure if this is by default or since I downloaded it last night?

As long as InCD isn't being loaded at startup or by opening Ner0, everything will be groovy.

Sorry for being longwinded, two things, 1.) how to add firmware? and second to make sure incd is gone.

Apologies aren't needed here. As I said, we're here to help you.

1. Updating firmware these days is simple as most come with an .exe file of some sort. (Having just checked this one, it does as well).

2. Just kill it at startup. :)

Thanks for all the help, I did upgrade the firmware and tried to burn again, logs below.

http://code.pastebin.ca/210256

As for the crappy DVD's, I am almost done with the 30 discs I bought at Wal*Mart. I have another stack of 50 TDK's, I hope they will be better, from here on out I will make sure that I am using better discs.

The discs have done well before though so I am not sure I can blame these fails on the media. Since I have a few discs left to be used up I may give it a try in Nero just to see what happens... another coaster for the wife!

As for my HD, yeah it is pretty used up, I have a thirty gig HD that I can add but that is not much so I do need to get more gigs.

I really thought the firmware would fix it.

Do those logs give any indication?

TIA

It still can't burn to those disc. Try some others (with a decent dye) and if you get the same problem, your drive is probably broken.

Do TDK's have a decent dye?

The drive is new, used very little, I have had it only a couple of months.

I doubt the drive is broken, I can view DVD's on it and have recorded them also

Thanks.

It all depends on the mid and country of manufacture. Stick with Verbatim DataLifePlus or Taiyo Yuden abd you won't go wrong with the media.

Then, if the firmware is the newest the odds are in your favor. However scrap drives do come in new boxes as well...

Then you answered your own question from above... ;) ... but I'd still get good media and see what happens next. 50 or 500 discs that are crap are just that, the only difference is the frustration you are willing to accept by having 50-60-70-80% failures.

It all depends on the mid and country of manufacture. Stick with Verbatim DataLifePlus or Taiyo Yuden abd you won't go wrong with the media.

Then, if the firmware is the newest the odds are in your favor. However scrap drives do come in new boxes as well...

Then you answered your own question from above... ;) ... but I'd still get good media and see what happens next. 50 or 500 discs that are crap are just that, the only difference is the frustration you are willing to accept by having 50-60-70-80% failures.

Popped in the TDK and viola, successful burn!!!!

What a difference a disc makes!

I did check it on one DVD burner and it showed up no disc, I said I was not giving up hope on it and I went to the bedroom and it works on that DVD player.

Now I am thinking, I now I have heard the happy tune before on some discs, where are these discs? I am assuming I broke them, should have checked the other DVD player first!.

The TDK burned successfully first time!

Thanks again,

PS Now my son will be happy! He has Curious George!

some drives come out with new firmware pretty often others like NEC drives don't update their firmwares that much .If there's a bunch of new media ,different speeds ,Id's then the manufacturers update or if they find a bug in something they wrote you get an update theres no set rule

I was the one that used the wrong firmware term, that is the correct firmware at rpc1.org but they have not updated since the first of the year, this last firmware was issued in Sept. 06

For the record I have three successful burns with the hsod, I have not tried the hsoe yet although I did flash the drive, if I have problems with the new one, I will just roll back.

random, If everything is good with your current firmware, stay with it. Don't fix it if it ain't broke............ :)

Too late for that now, I updated last night with the new firmware, maybe i was a little too impulsive.

I guess it is not that easy to just roll back on the firmware update, I tried to see what the flash hsod would show, it did not detect the drive since flashing with hsoe, although it did show it detected the same model #

Hope hsoe works good.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke..... I am a firm believer of this but I did re-flash

Edited by random

no worries random, Done it before too......... good luck with the current firmware.......... :thumbup: Let us know what happens...... :)

Current firmware works just fine (hsoe)

I even got gutsy backing up an old DVD and I used the cheap discs that caused me burn errors before and it worked....no coaster. Maybe because it did not require to be compressed is why the burn was successful.

As far as your drive and media is concerned, they don't care what's being written as it's all just data. A 4gig movie ISO is no different to a 4gig ISO comprised of .doc files or jpegs in that respect. Compression or the lack of it doesn't have anything to do with it.

As far as your drive and media is concerned, they don't care what's being written as it's all just data. A 4gig movie ISO is no different to a 4gig ISO comprised of .doc files or jpegs in that respect. Compression or the lack of it doesn't have anything to do with it.

I was looking through the guides yesterday, how does one compile an iso of pure jpegs?

Ok I think I answered my own question, it is there in guides, you use build mode. How should you handle folders? Leave them in the root directory? Nevere tried it this method by I see already that I prefer it! :D

TIA

PS. I did not know that compression had nothing to do with it. Thanks

Edited by random

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.