Synchronizing cache failure on second burn

coolsti

I don't know if this is a problem related to ImgBurn, or my computer or my burner, but perhaps someone could explain to me what is happening.

I have an Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz PC with 1GB RAM. OS is Windows2000. Am using an internal Pioneer 109 burner with the latest firmware installed.

I can burn one image to a DVD with ImageBurn with no problems. But if I try to burn a second image (I close and restart the program inbetween), the computer hangs up after 100% of the image has been burned, and the ImgBurn GUI says it is "synchronizing the cache". In this case the status of cache synchronization remains at 0%, and the DVD burner makes a cyclic sound as if it is trying again and again to read something.

At this point I have to hard reboot my PC. A normal shutdown does not work (hangup).

Can anyone tell me if this is an ImgBurn related problem? Or what the problem might be?

Thanks!

I don't know if this is a problem related to ImgBurn, or my computer or my burner, but perhaps someone could explain to me what is happening.

I have an Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz PC with 1GB RAM. OS is Windows2000. Am using an internal Pioneer 109 burner with the latest firmware installed.

I can burn one image to a DVD with ImageBurn with no problems.

since you can burn OK its not a problem with IMGburn ,this version has been well tested . You dont need to close and reopen the program between burns thats totally unnecessary so why dont you just leave the program open and burn one after another and see what happens.It may be something you're causing by opening and closing the program

since you can burn OK its not a problem with IMGburn ,this version has been well tested . You dont need to close and reopen the program between burns thats totally unnecessary so why dont you just leave the program open and burn one after another and see what happens.It may be something you're causing by opening and closing the program

Well, that doesn't convince me entirely that the problem is not due to Imgburn. But yes, it could be elsewhere, either in my DVD media, or my burner or my operating system or computer. Can anyone enlighten me as to what might be the source of this problem? Does anyone else have it? Can someone explain what this "synchronization" step is for? I mean, the burn is finished, isn't it? When it goes wrong, the synchronization starts (according to the Imgburn GUI) but stays on 0% complete, and the DVD burner starts cycling as if repeatedly trying to read or write something but can't.

I am using, by the way, Verbatim single layer -R media, so the media should be good enough.

Reason why I close the program is because I am not always burning one DVD right after the other, as in making multiple copies of the same image. I am usually doing other things, but then trying to burn a second DVD before restarting the computer.

I have just upgraded my Imgburn, so hopefully the problem will go away, if it was a compatibility problem between the hard and software.

Thanks for any help!

I use win2k as well without any such problem, so polo is right, it's not an ImgBurn problem.

Usualy, this kind of thing is down to media / drive problems, can you please post a log so we can see what's going on?

"I have just upgraded my Imgburn,"

support for IMGburn is always for the newest version , if you posted a log that would have let us know what version you were using ,it could have been a bug in an older version ,its why I said the the version has been well tested .The newest version is night and day compared to 2.0 theres a lot of new features in 2.1.Get back to us now that you're using the newest but hopefully updating has cured your problem

"I can burn one image to a DVD with ImageBurn with no problems. But if I try to burn a second image (I close and restart the program inbetween),"

this is what got me to believe you were burning one after another ,didn't know that you were burning days apart or hours or whatever

"I have just upgraded my Imgburn,"

support for IMGburn is always for the newest version , if you posted a log that would have let us know what version you were using ,it could have been a bug in an older version ,its why I said the the version has been well tested .The newest version is night and day compared to 2.0 theres a lot of new features in 2.1.Get back to us now that you're using the newest but hopefully updating has cured your problem

"I can burn one image to a DVD with ImageBurn with no problems. But if I try to burn a second image (I close and restart the program inbetween),"

this is what got me to believe you were burning one after another ,didn't know that you were burning days apart or hours or whatever

Yes I should have posted a log, everyone is correct here. And now I will indeed wait until the problem happens again, now that I upgraded my imgburn.

But: does anyone out there understand the burn process well enough to explain to me what the "synchronizing cache" step means and is trying to do? Maybe if I understood this I could begin to search for problems in my OS or my DVD burner.

I assume by logs you people mean a log created by imgburn. I haven't looked for where I might find this, I assume something in the imgburn interface will lead me to it. But does anyone know how I find a log that might be produced by my DVD burner? Do they normally create logs? Or do I need to look in some Windows log to see what might be happening? Any tip here would be appreciated, I can then do a thorough log search next time the problem occurs.

Thanks!

the log is generated when you burn something it appears in the box below the IMGburns main window starts like this and if you look it says IMGburn log at the top of the box go to view at the top of IB and put a check next to log it should be there unless you changed settings ,if you have been playing with the settings then TOOLS ,SETTINGS,DEFAULTS it works perfect as downloaded

I 07:20:38 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!

I 07:20:38 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)

I 07:20:38 Initialising SPTI...

I 07:20:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 07:20:38 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD?RW!

Please burn something we really need a log it will show what drive you have the media you're using your current firmware all very necessary when trying to find what the problem is

Write Caching

Many disk drive manufacturers now include a write cache on the drive hardware. This cache is usually an area of temporary volatile storage (RAM) that has a faster access time than the actual drive media. Its purpose is to increase throughput.

These devices use an algorithm to write back the cache. When the write back cache mode is enabled, the disk controller uses the cache to temporarily store data that is promised to be written to the medium at a later time. This allows the disk controller to indicate to the computer that a write command has completed prior to the blocks of data actually being transferred to the medium. The process of transferring the cached data to the drive medium is known as cache-synchronization

USE GOOGLE on a quick search I found a few people with this problem who were using a Pioneer 109 drive and it was compatibility problems with media /firmware

Press F8 when you think it's stuck on the sync cache bit.

The program simply issues the command to the drive and then polls it every second to see if it has finished.

If it's polling ok, you'll see loads of entries going into the log - along with status / error codes.

That also then means your drive still thinks it's busy and of course that's certainly not ImgBurn's problem and you only have your drive/firmware/media to blame.

I use win2k as well without any such problem, so polo is right, it's not an ImgBurn problem.

Usualy, this kind of thing is down to media / drive problems, can you please post a log so we can see what's going on?

:P:D

• 2 weeks later...
How about a log ? =))

Wow, I have been away from my thread for a while. Thanks for all the posts, guys! All very helpful.

After upgrading ImgBurn I had no further problems until today. I don't think it was the upgrade that made any difference.

I would like to post a log of a failed session, but the problem is that when I have a failure while "synchronizing cache", the DVD burner no longer responds to my wishes (have to hard-reboot the computer) and I cannot shut down ImgBurn. And it doesn't seem as if the ImgBurn log becomes updated when this happens. I have no logging of the sessions that have failed.

I didn't try the F8 key though, and I will try that next time I have a failure.

The person who mentioned a Google search showed compatibility problems with the Pioneer 109 has probably found the answer to my problems. There must be a hard/software incompatibility with my system and my burner. I'll also see if I can find some answers in such a search.

Thanks for the explanations about the synchronize caching!

Regards,

Steve, Denmark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

I reduced the burn rate settings from 8x to 6x and so far I have had no more failures with when synchronizing cache. According to a Google search, apparently there are some compatibility issues with the Pioneer 109 burner and its latest firmware versions. Although I am using Verbatim -R DVD's rated to 16x, and my Pioneer 109 says (with original firmware) that it can handle 8x, it seems that on my PC, burning at 8x is unstable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't because of this syncronizing cache stage error.

So it seems that my problem is solved for now (I hope, I hope). I just burn at a slightly slower rate. For my purposes, it is good enough.

Thanks all!

Steve, Denmark

• 1 year later...

I can burn one image to a DVD with ImageBurn with no problems. But if I try to burn a second image (I close and restart the program inbetween), the computer hangs up after 100% of the image has been burned, and the ImgBurn GUI says it is "synchronizing the cache". In this case the status of cache synchronization remains at 0%, and the DVD burner makes a cyclic sound as if it is trying again and again to read something.

At this point I have to hard reboot my PC. A normal shutdown does not work (hangup).

Can anyone tell me if this is an ImgBurn related problem? Or what the problem might be?

Thanks!

I too encounter the same problem... It is Win XP. For some reason after the first burn, it thinks the drive is a CD Drive (My Computer). Go to My Computer and Properties of the Drive, Then disable and enable in Hardware and it changes back to DVD-RW Drive... Then burning will not encounter the synchronizing cache "loop" wil not occur.

I too encounter the same problem... It is Win XP. For some reason after the first burn, it thinks the drive is a CD Drive (My Computer). Go to My Computer and Properties of the Drive, Then disable and enable in Hardware and it changes back to DVD-RW Drive... Then burning will not encounter the synchronizing cache "loop". This disable/enable needs to be done after each burn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.