Vegemite?

Shamus_McFartfinger

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20623973-2,00.html

There's no accounting for taste

October 21, 2006 12:00am

THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching Australians for jars of the spread when they enter the country.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed illegal under US food laws.

The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a technicality, America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.

Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

The US was "a minor market'' for Vegemite, she said.

Checked Wikipedia. It seems to be:

a dark brown, salty food paste made from yeast extract, mainly used as a spread on sandwiches and toast, though occasionally used in cooking

Okay. ;) That's about as far as I need to know. :) It's just some kind of weird food paste. Okay. :lol:

Totally un fuckin believable.

I hate the stuff actually, can't stand the smell of it. But really! Millions of Aussies can't be wrong.

We should retaliate by banning Microsoft products!! Now, that would really be helping Australia. :D

Regards

Sorry db - I missed that part of your post ! :) Yeah they are both yeast/veggie extract spreads. I enjoyed Vegemite when I went to Oz and it has a slighly milder taste than Marmite which, as per the adverts recently "you either love it or hate it"

Marmite is made by adding salt to the waste-product produced by the yeast in the brewing process, thus rupturing the yeast cells by osmotic pressure?and then concentrating the resulting sludge.

EEEEEEWWWWWWEEEEWWWW.....what the hell would you eat that for????? :&

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20623973-2,00.html

There's no accounting for taste

October 21, 2006 12:00am

THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching Australians for jars of the spread when they enter the country.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed illegal under US food laws.

The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a technicality, America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.

Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

The US was "a minor market'' for Vegemite, she said.

I think it was linked to all the strange looking animals that are found nowhere else but OZ

Vegemite is now also banned on this forum also with marmite. The thought of the stuff makes me feel ill.

The day I tasted marmite was one of the worst days of my life, infact its up there with the day I found out Santa wasn't real >_<

I was actually fairly traumatized when I learned the Easter Bunny wasn't real. I was hunting for Easter Eggs when I found myself alone and Christ himself appeared to me. He shrieked like a mad god, "Don't you believe I died for you, young man?! Here, put your fingers in the holes in my hands! In my side!" And he seized me and forced to me know him like few had, by the prints of the nails in his hands! Then, to add injury to insult, he beat me with a cross and stole the few eggs I had found for himself! So much for the 8th/7th Commandment! :&#39;(

Now, in all seriousness :D I was fairly traumatized by how I learned :santa: wasn't real. I forget how young I was, fairly young. And, one Christmas, I was thinking of all these gifts I'd gotten, and that Santa brought them, and, I started crying. And, my mother asked me what the problem was. I told her that I was sad that Santa had gotten me all these things... but... my own parents didn't get me anything. :&#39;( Some beadred weirdie potentially pedophile creep left me all these fabulous things on the door steps and ran like a madman... and my parents, who I thought loved me, didn't get me a single gift! Yeah, I was dumb. :lol: Of course, then, they told me... I felt better... and so bad, guilty, and stupid for having believed them in the first place when they told me those damn lies of a diabetic old :fart: flying around with flea infested deer to deliver gifts all over the world in one night! :wink:

Which brings me to a point I've made a few times in other venues, so, might as well say it here. ;) People wonder why kids grow up to be rebellious against their parents, have no respect for edlers, etc. I say the answer is easy. We lie to them. Thus, they can't ever have any respect for those older than they are. Seeds of distrust are sewn early on. Parents tell us they love us, yet, tell us of the Easter Bunny. Parents tell us that Jesus loves us, and then tell us of Santa Claus. They tell us of the tooth fairy... and then tell us when we're too old for such shit that the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa never existed... but, we do still love you and Jesus is real!

Well, fuck, WHAT is a child SUPPOSED to believe?! :doh: How can anyone just pick and choose what they're told is real when who they believed everything they said suddenly comes clean. THEN, STILL wants you to believe something like a guy split into 3 beings, part of who came down here to kill himself for us because he loves us, too? :frustrated:

Well at least the Great Pumpkin is real, He rises out of the pumpkin patch on hallows eve and scares the s--t out of people. Then he hands out candy......... she's a wonderful treat all coated in chocolate and very sweeeetttt...... :w00t::P

Checked Wikipedia. It seems to be:

a dark brown, salty food paste made from yeast extract, mainly used as a spread on sandwiches and toast, though occasionally used in cooking

Okay. ;) That's about as far as I need to know. :) It's just some kind of weird food paste. Okay. :lol:

It?s basically the by-product slop produced during the fermentation of beer. The impurities, I suppose you?d call it. People either love it or hate it. I grew up on the stuff and still love it.

I think db needs to check his medication :doctor: again - all that cobblers about putting his fingers in some blokes holes sounds bad to me :&

=))

Cobblers? Last I checked cobblers were both shoemakers and the desserts they ate.

As for medication, I am on one real doozy right now. Gabapentin. Let me copy and paste how I described it somewhere else:

Go, go, go! Gaba, gaba-pentin!

Wow... now that I've had a month for my system to become saturated by gabapentin (aka Neurontin) it's amazing what one's definition of "dizziness" and "disorientation" is.

Both were listed as possible side effects. Let me define what these words mean to me under the effects of this stuff. My right hand feels like it's floating on top of the water, like a drowned person's would. e.g. like my father's was. My left hand is surprisingly somewhat normal. There's a weight on my shoulders feeling like I'm being forced forward. And, it's not the world or my own crushing emotional losses and defeat doing that. My head, in order to feel this way, must have been removed, turned upside down, and my receding hair line attached to the gaping hole in my neck, with my face towards my back. "Why didn't anyone tell me my ass was so big?!"

Oh, and let's not even discuss trying to walk like a normal person anymore. I will just leave it as an exercise for the reader to imagine a Return Of The Living Dead zombie except he moves like a standard Romero zombie. He can talk, reason, etc. but moves as if he's fighting off rigor mortis.

And, the sheer number of typoes already corrected... those that pass my notice lately aren't even possible to count.

It?s basically the by-product slop produced during the fermentation of beer. The impurities, I suppose you?d call it. People either love it or hate it. I grew up on the stuff and still love it.

Here in this country, we call it shit. =))

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.