MPEG-2 7.09gig file to DL

johnnie2

I have edited and rendered in roxio nxt 5 to MPEG-2 but I cannot convert to VIDEO TS without the file being halved due to compression in roxio. I always burn in ImgBurn

My question is:-

can I burn this large file to a DL disk if not how can I get it into a VIDEO TS so that I can because I can't in roxio copy & paste and to do it in Mydvd I cant without menu in NXT5 they have disabled this  option, I definately dont want a menu.

So Basically I need  a 7.09 gig 106 minute MPEG-2 file onto a DL disk.

Or can somebody direct me to a tutorial that will show me how.

Freemake Video Converter is a free application that will take most container files and convert them to VIDEO_TS.  It will only create chapters every 15 minutes, though, and the free version will leave an about 3 second watermark against a black screen right after the video, at the end.  I guess the paid version removes this, but I don't know.  You might be able to edit it later to remove this watermark.

I use ConvertXToDVD, but it's paid software.  Still, it's done the trick for me for the past 6 years.  It creates menus, but you can always use DVDShrink to just copy over the main movie VIDEO_TS it creates to make a DVD without a menu.

Freemake Video Converter is a free application that will take most container files and convert them to VIDEO_TS.  It will only create chapters every 15 minutes, though, and the free version will leave an about 3 second watermark against a black screen right after the video, at the end.  I guess the paid version removes this, but I don't know.  You might be able to edit it later to remove this watermark.

I use ConvertXToDVD, but it's paid software.  Still, it's done the trick for me for the past 6 years.  It creates menus, but you can always use DVDShrink to just copy over the main movie VIDEO_TS it creates to make a DVD without a menu.

Thank you Lightning for your suggestions and help

Thank you also to DB Minter. To be honest I have VSO 5 but I have never used it because I have always coped with editing/render in roxio and burnt in ImgBurn that I have never needed too but now things have changed for the worse in roxio NXT 5 pro that I cannot get a large file to VIDEO TS folder for burning i.e. without a menu.

I see in my VSO there is an option for no menu so that is a good start. I now need to convert my 106 minute 7.5 gig MPEG 2 file to a VIDEO TS....... Can I select this option if so where?? thank you

I also should say I want to get this 106 minute video onto a DL disc uncompressed

Edited by johnnie2

Are you talking about how to do it in ConvertXToDVD?  It's been a while since I used version 5 as I'm now using version 7, but there should be a Plus button on the left side of the main interface when you open ConvertXToDVD.  That will let you load the file, as long as it's a supported container file.  What's the file extension?  You say MPEG 2, but is it an .MPG file?  Depending on the age of the codec, version 5 may not import it or convert it incorrectly.

As for converting to VIDEO_TS, I think all conversion of container files uses some kind of compression to get it down to MPEG 2 VIDEO_TS.  Though I generally see no artifacts when converting so it shouldn't be noticeable.

Are you talking about how to do it in ConvertXToDVD?  It's been a while since I used version 5 as I'm now using version 7, but there should be a Plus button on the left side of the main interface when you open ConvertXToDVD.  That will let you load the file, as long as it's a supported container file.  What's the file extension?  You say MPEG 2, but is it an .MPG file?  Depending on the age of the codec, version 5 may not import it or convert it incorrectly.

As for converting to VIDEO_TS, I think all conversion of container files uses some kind of compression to get it down to MPEG 2 VIDEO_TS.  Though I generally see no artifacts when converting so it shouldn't be noticeable.

Yes to your first question and yes to MPEG-2 = .mpg OK my problem

I have a file that is 106 minutes 7.09 gig long and I need to convert this file to file folder VIDEO TS or ISO so that it stays the same size for burning i.e. without compression to maintain quality whichever is the easiest. As a disk is 4.7 gig or 60 minutes I will need to put this onto a Dual Layer disk 8.5 gig 120 minutes.

It seems to me that whatever programme I use to get it to a file ready to burn they reduce the size of the file to fit a 4.7 gig.

so I need a conversion that maintains the original size.

Yes, there's a setting in ConvertXToDVD where you can choose to use a DVD-9, but it will only prompt you if you need it.  Otherwise, it will make the biggest file sizes it needs.  It often fits DVD-9 material to DVD-5 with conversion to MPEG DVD Video.  Even if you choose DVD-9 as a target size, it will only affect the size of the output if you want it to fit without compression to DVD-5.  The best bet is to just import the file and choose DVD-9 if you're prompted.  Otherwise, ConvertXToDVD will use only the maximum file size it needs.

Freemake Video Converter lets you choose DVD-9 or DVD-5 from its conversion menu.  So, you could just choose DVD-9 from there.  However, if the contents will fit on a DVD-5, the target size won't matter.

Thank you for all the info. LOL! this is like a merry go round but I guess I will get there in the end.

Freemake looks interesting and probably the easiest to use and will suffice as long as I can get a full good quality un compressed file. I like ImgBurn and it is my preference to use to burn so just as soon as I can get a conversion of the full value 7.09 gig onto a ISO for DL disk that is where I shall burn. Of course with such a big file the penalty is the time it takes to try all the options but as long as I get there it's not a problem. It looks to me that the only use Roxio has for me now is to edit my videos and render to MPEG-2.

At least I now have options.

Latest update::

just done an iso of my file

selected PAL.... DL disk....good quality then converted

went to imgburn selected the file in write image file to disk. looked for break put dual layer into drive and

ImgBurn tells me that I dont need a DL it will fit on a DVD+R/RW just fine which means my file has been compressed nightmare

Can you open the mpeg2 file in MediaInfo and give us some more details about it? Maybe it's not compliant with DVD Video specs and therefore *needs* to be reencoded.

I don't know if ConvertXtoDVD actually supports a 'passthrough' / 'stream copy' type feature whereby no encoding takes place, but configuring the Encoding options to 'Short project', Target size to DVD-9 and enabling two pass encoding is probably all you can do.

A quick google search suggests DVDStyler can do what you're after (use mpeg without reencoding) - http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/

Please check the FAQ on their website though - http://sourceforge.net/p/dvdstyler/wiki/FAQVob/

Can you open the mpeg2 file in MediaInfo and give us some more details about it? Maybe it's not compliant with DVD Video specs and therefore *needs* to be reencoded.

I don't know if ConvertXtoDVD actually supports a 'passthrough' / 'stream copy' type feature whereby no encoding takes place, but configuring the Encoding options to 'Short project', Target size to DVD-9 and enabling two pass encoding is probably all you can do.

A quick google search suggests DVDStyler can do what you're after (use mpeg without reencoding) - http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/

Please check the FAQ on their website though - http://sourceforge.net/p/dvdstyler/wiki/FAQVob/

I very much appreciate your help here. What view/details page would you like to look at please.

I use the plain text one myself.

Just copy and paste all of it.

General

Complete name                            : C:\Users\Johnnie\3 musers\The Three Mus final 2.mpg

Format                                   : MPEG-PS

File size                                : 7.09 GiB

Duration                                 : 1 h 46 min

Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant

Overall bit rate                         : 9 495 kb/s

Video

ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)

Format                                   : MPEG Video

Format version                           : Version 2

Format profile                           : Main@Main

Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes

Format settings, Matrix                  : Default

Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15

Format settings, picture structure       : Frame

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 9 000 kb/s

Width                                    : 720 pixels

Height                                   : 576 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3

Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS

Standard                                 : PAL

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Interlaced

Scan order                               : Bottom Field First

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.868

Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00

Time code source                         : Group of pictures header

GOP, Open/Closed                         : Open

GOP, Open/Closed of first frame          : Closed

Stream size                              : 6.66 GiB (94%)

Audio

ID                                       : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)

Format                                   : AC-3

Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3

Format settings, Endianness              : Big

Muxing mode                              : DVD-Video

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 384 kb/s

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L R

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz

Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 spf)

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Delay relative to video                  : -6 ms

Stream size                              : 294 MiB (4%)

Service kind                             : Complete Main

Not being a very technical person and someone who only makes a few films a year I have been educated somewhat of the last few days.

My past knowledge was that anything over 60 minutes needs to go onto a DL disk but if what I have found out is true then that is not necessary the case or at least that is what it seems.

It was suggested on here that a choice could be Freemake which I downloaded and used to burn a 146minute 7.09 GIB file so I did with a DL disk and that seemed to work fine acceptable at least but I was amazed that file on disk was only 2.9 GIB so I thought Mmm  still in trouble BUT I thought ok I will see what SL disk looks like and it seems exactly the same. I am really missing something here? does this programme actually convert the file down with no loss of quality because where I have been thinking I need DL I am now thinking do I??? Is this why ImgBurn was telling me DL not required fit easy onto a SL disk being a result of MPEG 2

Actually, with ConvertXToDVD it varies, depending on the codec and compression used in the source file.  Sometimes, you get a DVD when converted that won't fit on a DVD-5 even though the contents are under an hour.  And sometimes you can get over 2 hours of footage on a DVD-5.  Just had one recently where I got 2 hours and 19 minutes of footage on a DVD-5.  However, that video was mostly just an audio stream and 2 hours and 19 minutes of a still image in the video.  So, that wouldn't take too much space to begin with.

It's not the time length that matters, it's the video compression that matters.  For instance, I have a zombie movie collection where they put 4 movies on each DVD-9.  They compressed the hell out of them but managed to get just under 8 hours of footage on the disc.

Unless you are really that concerned about the video quality, I wouldn't worry that your source file converted contents fit on a DVD-5.  MPEG 2 DVD Video is generally compressed anyway.  However, you rarely see the results of the compression.  And if you have an upscaling DVD player, you won't notice it at all, generally.

You can do what I do.  I often times get a VIDEO_TS that fits on a DVD-5 but I put the source file in the root directory of the DVD as a backup.  This can result in a DVD-9, but not always.  I like to have a backup of the file on the disc, just in case.

Thank

Actually, with ConvertXToDVD it varies, depending on the codec and compression used in the source file.  Sometimes, you get a DVD when converted that won't fit on a DVD-5 even though the contents are under an hour.  And sometimes you can get over 2 hours of footage on a DVD-5.  Just had one recently where I got 2 hours and 19 minutes of footage on a DVD-5.  However, that video was mostly just an audio stream and 2 hours and 19 minutes of a still image in the video.  So, that wouldn't take too much space to begin with.

It's not the time length that matters, it's the video compression that matters.  For instance, I have a zombie movie collection where they put 4 movies on each DVD-9.  They compressed the hell out of them but managed to get just under 8 hours of footage on the disc.

Unless you are really that concerned about the video quality, I wouldn't worry that your source file converted contents fit on a DVD-5.  MPEG 2 DVD Video is generally compressed anyway.  However, you rarely see the results of the compression.  And if you have an upscaling DVD player, you won't notice it at all, generally.

You can do what I do.  I often times get a VIDEO_TS that fits on a DVD-5 but I put the source file in the root directory of the DVD as a backup.  This can result in a DVD-9, but not always.  I like to have a backup of the file on the disc, just in case.

Thank's a lot for your input on this thread. I think I get the gist of it ALMOST at least enough to proceed but it leaves me with one question. Having a file rendered in roxio the MPEG-2 .... can I get this .mpg file into ImgBurn as it is to either make an ISO or a disk?

I am grateful to you two guys for your help

Yes, use Build mode.

AKA - 'Write files / folders to disc' or 'Create image file from files / folders'

Have you tried DVDStyler as I mentioned previously? It claims to allow you to use files that are already in the correct format 'as-is' without re-encoding them. I'm curious to see if it works. :)

What you do is in Build mode, drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder, if you created one.  You can add AUDIO_TS if you want, but it will generally be an empty folder.  Then, drag and drop the .MPG file into the root directory of the project.  You can create a folder and subfolder like I do to name the contents, but you can always rename the MPG file to something descriptive, too.  As long as it says the target fits on a DVD+-R/W or DVD+-R DL, you can play the DVD as a movie disc with the MPG contained on the disc.  If it says BD-R/E or anything with BD, what you will have is an archive of the MPG and VIDEO_TS on a Blu-Ray.  It will only be a data disc as no player will recognize VIDEO_TS contents (That I am aware of.) when placed on a BD.

Yes, use Build mode.

AKA - 'Write files / folders to disc' or 'Create image file from files / folders'

Have you tried DVDStyler as I mentioned previously? It claims to allow you to use files that are already in the correct format 'as-is' without re-encoding them. I'm curious to see if it works. :)

Thanks for the advice. I will have a go at DVDstyler with my file and I will let you know the results or at least how I get on... as an edit to this-: I have to read the help files first not to sure on a couple of the items to select so it might take a little while but with a quick look it seems it does the same i.e. file selected shows 106/132

and it says good quality for uo to126 ,mins as I say I will be back

Edited by johnnie2

Now I am fearful that something is not quite right 2.5 hours in and no movement. Nothing to say whether its working or not just a screen that says

header.... generate DVD

Summery

prepare

Generating menu 1 of 1...... (I selected no template) ... is there a menu ????

Transcode video 1 of 1 Encoding Mode Copy

progress bar has not moved from its starting point (about 2.5 inches in)

hold fire there is movement in the details frame marker counter is moving up so there may be life AKA maybe Friday morning :-)

Edited by johnnie2

well that was a wasted 6hrs the result it won't play on my DVD but will on my PC

I rendered this file to play on ALL devices to MPEG-2 in roxio and used that file to burn in DVDstyler SO have I missed something like can DVDstyler change where this file is compatible? Iwill try again but I need to know what has happened because its a long time to waste.

I read and followed the guides but I cant see what I must have missed

One of the reason I never used I think it was DVDFlicker.  It said it would take hours to do what ConvertXToDVD can do in 30 minutes.

When you said the disc doesn't play on a DVD player, what exactly happens?  You put the disc in and the player doesn't recognize anything to play?  Make sure that VIDEO_TS is in the root directory.  Check the contents of VIDEO_TS.  Make sure there's a file called VIDEO_TS.IFO.  When you dragged and dropped VIDEO_TS into the root directory and exited the Build mode interface for actual building, did ImgBurn tell you about changing some of the settings to default for DVD?  It should have.  If it didn't, then there's probably something wrong with the contents in VIDEO_TS.

Actually, I just got to thinking, you probably know a lot of that already, having made DVD's before.

One of the reason I never used I think it was DVDFlicker.  It said it would take hours to do what ConvertXToDVD can do in 30 minutes.

When you said the disc doesn't play on a DVD player, what exactly happens?  You put the disc in and the player doesn't recognize anything to play?  Make sure that VIDEO_TS is in the root directory.  Check the contents of VIDEO_TS.  Make sure there's a file called VIDEO_TS.IFO.  When you dragged and dropped VIDEO_TS into the root directory and exited the Build mode interface for actual building, did ImgBurn tell you about changing some of the settings to default for DVD?  It should have.  If it didn't, then there's probably something wrong with the contents in VIDEO_TS.

Actually, I just got to thinking, you probably know a lot of that already, having made DVD's before.

It is a little bit difficult to think what might be the problem. The dvd played ok on my PC but was blank  to my DVD player. I am thinking it might be easier for me if I start at the beginning and re-render the whole thing right from roxio and author it somewhere else and burn somewhere different again

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.