Today I learned about cheap media

CainStar

I bought some MediaRange BD-R DL disc from Nierle.de, actually I have bought most of my discs from them. I was trying to burning a BD-R DL and the 5TH ONE finally actually finished the burning process. Honestly I am not that familiar with Bluray discs, and their quality, and most of my burning exprience comes from CD/DVD "department". Actually I do even now have some DVD+R DLs, and I've had some problems with them too. So is the quality these days that paramount, especially with DL media? I mean I had some DVD+R DLs which were from Verbatim and they always worked like a charm.

I guess I just didn't make the connection between bad quality media since I had some "technical problems" with my drive, or maybe it has actually worked all along, I just had really bad quality discs. I mean for crying out loud, in the good old times, when CDs were "IT" media, as long as it was round and you threw it in there IT WORKED. I have had ZERO coasters when I used to use normal CDs.

I am actually BAFFLED on how important the quality has become.

Sorry for the rant.

Well, burning more than 1 layer is just problematic to begin with.  While if you use the higher quality media, you will definitely have better results than the cheap media DL, it's just an inherent problem when switching layers.

I've never burned any BD-R DL, only Verbatim and TDK/Panasonic BD-RE DL, but it seems BD-R DL, even the Verbatims, depends on the drive you're using.  For instance, I have two BD drives, a Pioneer and an LG.  The LG is absolutely rotten at writing to BD-RE DL.  Fails more often than it succeeds and when it does succeed, the data is corrupt on the disc.  So, I can't imagine the LG being better at writing BD-R DL.  The Pioneer is a different story.  I use it exclusively for writing my BD-RE DL media because it's the only drive that writes properly to Verbatim/TDK/Panasonic BD-RE DL.

As for BD-R DL, I've seen some increasing posts here that maybe even the quality Verbatim blanks might not be the quality they should be.

Well, burning more than 1 layer is just problematic to begin with.  While if you use the higher quality media, you will definitely have better results than the cheap media DL, it's just an inherent problem when switching layers.

I've never burned any BD-R DL, only Verbatim and TDK/Panasonic BD-RE DL, but it seems BD-R DL, even the Verbatims, depends on the drive you're using.  For instance, I have two BD drives, a Pioneer and an LG.  The LG is absolutely rotten at writing to BD-RE DL.  Fails more often than it succeeds and when it does succeed, the data is corrupt on the disc.  So, I can't imagine the LG being better at writing BD-R DL.  The Pioneer is a different story.  I use it exclusively for writing my BD-RE DL media because it's the only drive that writes properly to Verbatim/TDK/Panasonic BD-RE DL.

As for BD-R DL, I've seen some increasing posts here that maybe even the quality Verbatim blanks might not be the quality they should be.

Thanks for this as I am thinking of buying a new BD drive. I am open to suggestions on what manufacturer has the best quality products.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.