Strange behavior with ISO intended for UEFI boot.

Johnhc

I have an ASRock X399 board with NVMe RAID support, but it requires pure UEFI support.  I have gone into the UEFI (BIOS) and set CSM (Compatibility Service Module) to Disabled (UEFI only).  When I boot into the Boot Menu (F11) I am shown only UEFI devices.  I have used ImgBurn to create an ISO for many years and tried for a UEFI bootable ISO.  I use Rufus to write the ISO to a USB stick and it boots fine.  The strangeness occurs when I get to the W10 "Install Where" menu.  I have to use "Load Driver" to be able to see the RAID drive properly.  The loading of the drivers (3) seems to go fine, but Setup never displays the RAID device properly.  I used an ISO DLed from MS and written to a USB by Rufus and it works fine.  I do not know what additional information may be needed, but please let me - will keep an eye on the thread.  I searched for information on settings for making a UEFI ISO and found none.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Edited by Johnhc

Thanks for your reply, LIGHTNING UK!  Here is a screenshot of that tab.  

Bootable_Disc.jpg

When I found that ImgBurn did not work for me I started trying to understand oscdimg.exe.  I have not accomplished that yet, but found that it said: "For images larger than 4.5 GB, you must create a boot order file to make sure that boot files are located at the beginning of the image."  I had tried to use oscdimg.exe without the BootOrder file and that did not work.  I tried with the file presented here and had a error saying boot\memtest.efi could not be found and was being skipped.  I have a thread open in the TechNet forum to see if I can get a up to data W10 BootOrder file.  My image is greater than 10 GB.  Does ImgBurn use a BootOrder file and if so can you please tell me where to find it?  I put Strange in the title because I certainly do not understand.  I have tried many things with no luck.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

LIGHTNING UK! My problem has nothing to do with ImgBurn or how I create my ISO.  There is something in the AMD RAID Option ROM or Windows, that is causing the failure because I am using a 16 GB USB stick.  No matter how I try to install the RAID drivers once I boot my 16 GB USB stick, it fails.  So sorry to bug you.  I do have a question.  At several times I have lost the Log file and I did NOT close it.  Also I cannot figure out how to get it open again.  View-Log is checked and checking it again just gets me the "head in the sand" response.  How do I get the log back?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Thanks, dbminter.  No, I mean the second window that normally opens when I open ImgBurn.  View-Log is checked and checking it again just gets me the "head in the sand" response.  The log file is found under Help.  Enjoy, John. 

EDIT:  OK, I found it.  It must have been Minimized.  So now when I click View-Log, I see a very small window flash in my lower left screen but it does not stay.

Edited by Johnhc

Thanks, LIGHTNING UK! I see the same thing.  The first time, I restored it and all was OK.  Somehow it got minimized again and when I set View-Log, it flashes in the lower left corner, but I cannot find it.  I use 3840x2160 resolution (on Display Port), so I tried various resolutions and scales and still could not restore it.  Doing an Uninstall/Install does correct the problem, but the window keeps disappearing (I swear I did not do it) and I cannot find it.  I'll keep messing with it.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I did some experiments and with an HDMI connection, the Log window still gets lost, but by changing the scale to 100% (instead of 150%), the window appears in the lower left.  This is not so certain with DP connection.  Sometime 100% works and sometime not.  Why do I not see a second icon on the Taskbar for the Log?  If there is a Registry key with the Log window position, please post it so I can muck with it when my Log window gets minimized and lost.

Edited by Johnhc

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.