File Sys: UDF XBOX compatibility mode ?

CD_lova^^

First the important thing THANK YOU LIGHTING UK! for your nice program ImgBurn :cat:

UDF XBOX compatibility mode in ImgBurn's Build Mode, Is this doable ?

I use my xbox media center to watch home videos but it works only if the cd has a xbox udf file format.

Grtz

Nero XBOX compatibility mode

th.b360cf066b.jpg

• 1 year later...
Ner0's XBox mode is (or at least was) normal DVD Video mode.

I have the same problem - I use several first-generation Xboxes as media centres, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to burn a UDF format disc with ImgBurn the way I could with Nero's "Force DVD-Video compatibility mode". I can't figure out if the problem is that I'm just not using the right settings for ImgBurn or if ImgBurn doesn't have this capability. As far as I can tell, the result from Nero is a UDF 1.02 (only) Disc Image. No VIDEO_TS folder appears in the disc's filesystem when it is mounted on a PC or Xbox, and the disc does not appear to have an ISO9660 filesystem, just UDF 1.02. But if I burn a UDF 1.02 data disc with IMGBurn, the Xbox doesn't recognize it.

What exactly are you trying to burn for playback on the xbox?

I don't have an xbox so it's impossible for me to really look into it, you need to tell me exactly what's different between the images created (equally) by both programs.

Something like IsoBuster might be of some use here.

If you have a Samsung ROM drive in your old xbox and are using +R disc's you have to set them to DVD-ROM.

Other than that xbox with XBMC or whatever they changed name to will read stuff just fine, been about 1-2 years since I switched any of my xbox's on but I never had any problem with anything burnt with ImgBurn.

I am also looking for a fix to this since Nero bogs my system down and ImgBurn is the reason I dropped Nero. I would be happy to make a image up with Nero and a image up with Imgburn and attach them or upload them somewhere to be checked. I am guessing it is some patch to the UDF 1.02 file system.

I'm sure my mate has tested this for me before and he said the ImgBurn stuff worked fine.

What exactly does the xbox do with ImgBurn burnt discs? Can't it see the content at all?

I'm sorry I haven't replied, I got called out of town. I'll gladly help with any troubleshooting I can with this issue. Over this weekend I'll burn a couple of images with Nero and the same content/settings with ImgBurn 2.4.0.0 and provide ISOs. Oh, and before I forget, thanks again LUK for the fantastic program in the first place.

Files built with ImgBurn play fine on 1 of my xbox's

post-26-1206989102_thumb.png

the screenshot from some divx built with ImgBurn play fine from XBMP which is older version of XBMC I think you have to select ISO 9660 from XBMP for the files to be listed to click on play etc ( I should image from XBMC same thing) and from dvd playback without dongle on Chipped xbox dvd region X free player or whatever its called plays iso 9660 udf 1.02 fine

DVD wrote with ImgBurn ISO 9660 (UDF1.02) plays fine from Ms (original dash) non chipped xbox with the DVD dongle installed

Will now try and build one with released 2.4.0.0 and report back

I 19:57:58 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 19:57:58 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 19:57:58 Total Physical Memory: 3,406,252 KB - Available: 2,928,804 KB

W 19:57:58 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 19:57:58 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:57:58 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:57:58 Found 5 DVD-ROMs, 1 DVD

post-26-1206991028_thumb.png

I 20:22:23 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 20:22:23 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 20:22:23 Total Physical Memory: 3,406,252 KB - Available: 2,922,860 KB

W 20:22:23 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 20:22:23 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:22:23 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:22:23 Found 5 DVD-ROMs, 1 DVD

post-26-1206992274_thumb.png

First of all, I do realize that I can get discs that will mount properly in XBMC if I use ISO9660 + Joliet format; the thing is, I don't want to use that format, because it's old and I occasionally need more than 64 characters for things. I'm being a standards prick, I know, but I prefer to be able to burn all my DVDs in one format and know that they will work in any device I drop them in - set-top, Mac, PC, softmodded XBox, whatever.

Anyways, my results.

I created two ISO images of the same single file.

Image 1 was created with Nero 6.6.1.8, using UDF default settings and the "Force DVD-Video compatibility mode" box checked.

Image 2 was created with ImgBurn, using UDF as the filesystem and all default settings.

ISObuster does not seem to see any differences between the two ISO images. I burned both ISO images with ImgBurn to eliminate the possibility of Nero's ASPI layer having anything to do with it. The discs were consecutive media from the same spindle. The disc created with Nero mounts and plays just fine, the disc created with ImgBurn does not. XBMC (latest T3CH release) throws a "Path not found" error, which is what XBMC does when it can't mount a filesystem. So I think it's something in the way Nero is constructing the filesystem that makes it work.

I'm PMed Lightning UK with the download URLs for the images for his perusal.

Thanks again everyone for all your interest and assistance. If the answer ends up being "it works with ISO9660 + Joliet, suck it up", well, I'll be disappointed but that's fair. I would just really like to ditch Nero entirely in favour of ImgBurn and this is the last sticking point.

This setting 'Force DVD-Video compatibility mode' was removed in Nero 7 in the settings for UDF, but it's still there in the Express version. According to the Nero guide this setting will burn 'at least 1GB' to the disc. So it shouldn't have any impact on the created ISO from Nero.

I think it's the same setting as you find in ImgBurn as 'DVD+R Finalise Disc (Min. Radius)'.

:)

Ok, so the fix for this (as now confirmed by the OP) is to disable Unicode support for the UDF file system.

You do that via the 'Disable Unicode Support' checkbox on the 'Advanced' -> 'Restrictions' -> 'UDF' tab in the main window when you're in Build mode.

SOLUTION FOUND

Man, I feel dumb.

The fix to burning UDF format discs and having them mount on XBMC is to disable Unicode support (Advanced > Restrictions > UDF tab in Build mode). Lightning UK! his royal self spotted this, and I am suitably chastened.

Thank you again to everyone who helped with this. <goes to hit the tip jar>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.