Maximum number of secrets

dbminter

About the message that sometimes comes up, something like Maximum number of secrets has been reached.  I've gotten it before, but what exactly does it mean?  What is a "secret?"  Why does Windows allow them and why are there only a finite number of them allowed?

Mine was the result of a root kit.  I had just installed ImgBurn on a new PC I was setting up in 2011 and got that message.  I had just started the application, nothing inserted in the drive, and ImgBurn couldn't detect any drives because the maximum number of secrets had been reached.  So, I posted about it and you recommended I do a scan for root kits, which I had one pre-installed with the PC.  After removing it, ImgBurn detected drives fine.

Microsoft's definition of a secret is "A secret is an encrypted piece of information, such as a password or user name."  It says if you receive that error message to contact the supplier of the application returning it.  So, there is no real general definition of a secret.  Secrets vary depending on the application.

A little further digging says the reason there is a finite cap on secrets is something imposed by the US government.  It's a standard Windows error message.  However, why this message would pop up on systems outside of America would be beyond me.  So, I'm inclined to slightly doubt the statement they're imposed by the US government as a possible conspiracy theory.

Edited by dbminter

Mine was the result of a root kit.  I had just installed ImgBurn on a new PC I was setting up in 2011 and got that message.  I had just started the application, nothing inserted in the drive, and ImgBurn couldn't detect any drives because the maximum number of secrets had been reached.  So, I posted about it and you recommended I do a scan for root kits, which I had one pre-installed with the PC.  After removing it, ImgBurn detected drives fine.

Microsoft's definition of a secret is "A secret is an encrypted piece of information, such as a password or user name."  It says if you receive that error message to contact the supplier of the application returning it.  So, there is no real general definition of a secret.  Secrets vary depending on the application.

A little further digging says the reason there is a finite cap on secrets is something imposed by the US government.  It's a standard Windows error message.  However, why this message would pop up on systems outside of America would be beyond me.  So, I'm inclined to slightly doubt the statement they're imposed by the US government as a possible conspiracy theory.

hi

may i know from where does it come this warning ?

i mean have you a screenshot or can you post from where does it come /appear?

something like Maximum number of secrets has been reached

and may i ask you about

and ImgBurn couldn't detect any drives because the maximum number of secrets had been reached.  So, I posted about it and you recommended I do a scan for root kits

what rookkit have you used?

well it's off topic but avast does consider this forum "pishing"

i wanted to report here and i have reported to avast ,just because it's a false alarm

thanks

0m2GlG3.png

Edited by rosanna

I didn't use a root kit.  It was pre-installed without my knowledge on the PC.  I don't remember what root kit it was that was removed.  I THINK what I used to scan for root kits and remove it was Rootkit Revealer, but that was almost 7 years ago.  So, I can't be sure.

If you're experiencing this message, it could be the fault of a root kit.  It was in my case.  However, LUK says you can also get this trying to read CSS encrypted discs.  Although I would think ImgBurn wouldn't return such a message in that case since it can't read encrypted discs.  :unsure:

If you need a root kit remover, just do a Google for root kit remover.  There are plenty of options available.  I looked up Rootkit Revealer, but it hasn't been updated in 10 years, so it may not be right for you.  However, even at 5 years old, it solved my problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.