I can't burn Primeon BD DL after updating burner firmware (Pioneer BDR-209DBK)

zurst

Hi all,

Early this week I bought one spindle of Primeon double layer blu-ray, I read good things about them, even people burning it with same burner that I have without problems.

DISCS REFERENCE: 2761311

MEDIACODE: RITEK-DR3-000

As soon as I received it tried to burn one disc, no problem at all, it seems to be a quality media. Then I was just curious if maybe there was a new firmware for my burner, several months without checking for a new one, and I guess it, there were new firmwares for latest Pioneer burners (I think), these models: BDR-211EBK, BDR-211UBK, BDR-209EBK, BDR-209UBK (BDR-2209), BDR-209DBK, BDR-S09XLB y BDR-S09XLT

My burner is the Pioneer BDR-209DBK, and my previous firmware 1.34, and the new one is 1.50 (updated Mar 2, 2018)

As you can suppose, I could not resist and updated my burner with the new firmware, and now I can't burn Primeon blu-ray discs, I'm very dissapointed.

As you can see in the image, the burn process never starts. Time elapsed does not appear in the screenshot but I waited more than 8 minutes, at least I dont' get a coaster.

oXnMUS4.jpg

Here you have the log, but I think it does not matter because the burn process does not start at all:

I 17:39:24 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 17:39:24 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
I 17:39:24 Total Physical Memory: 16.716.280 KiB  -  Available: 14.941.444 KiB
I 17:39:24 Initialising SPTI...
I 17:39:24 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 17:39:25 -> Drive 1 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 LN00-78 (J:) (SATA)
I 17:39:25 -> Drive 2 - Info: PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-209D 1.50-ID61 (Q:) (SATA)
I 17:39:25 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM and 1 BD-RE!
I 17:41:15 Operation Started!
I 17:41:15 Building Image Tree...
I 17:41:16 Calculating Totals...
I 17:41:16 Preparing Image...
I 17:41:16 Contents: 2.136 Files, 47 Folders
I 17:41:16 Content Type: BD Video
I 17:41:16 Data Type: MODE1/2048
I 17:41:16 File System(s): UDF (2.50)
I 17:41:16 Volume Label: [Not Configured]
I 17:41:16 Size: 47.238.877.519 bytes
I 17:41:16 Sectors: 23.067.116
I 17:41:16 Image Size: 47.251.652.608 bytes
I 17:41:16 Image Sectors: 23.072.096
I 17:41:16 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:00
I 17:42:06 Operation Started!
I 17:42:07 Building Image Tree...
I 17:42:09 Calculating Totals...
I 17:42:09 Preparing Image...
I 17:42:09 Contents: 2.136 Files, 47 Folders
I 17:42:09 Content Type: BD Video
I 17:42:09 Data Type: MODE1/2048
I 17:42:09 File System(s): UDF (2.50)
I 17:42:09 Volume Label: Stoker (2013) Full Blu-ray
I 17:42:09 Size: 47.238.877.519 bytes
I 17:42:09 Sectors: 23.067.116
I 17:42:09 Image Size: 47.251.652.608 bytes
I 17:42:09 Image Sectors: 23.072.096
I 17:42:16 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:09
I 17:42:16 Operation Started!
I 17:42:16 Source File: -==/\/[bUILD IMAGE]\/\==-
I 17:42:16 Source File Sectors: 23.072.096 (MODE1/2048)
I 17:42:16 Source File Size: 47.251.652.608 bytes
I 17:42:16 Source File Volume Identifier: Stoker (2013) Full Blu-ray
I 17:42:16 Source File Volume Set Identifier: 4C728D430160042C
I 17:42:16 Source File Application Identifier: ImgBurn v2.5.8.0
I 17:42:16 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
I 17:42:16 Source File File System(s): UDF (2.50)
I 17:42:16 Destination Device: [3:0:0] PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-209D 1.50 (Q:) (SATA)
I 17:42:16 Destination Media Type: BD-R (Disc ID: RITEK-DR3-000)
I 17:42:16 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 2x; 4x; 6x; 8x
I 17:42:16 Destination Media Sectors: 24.438.784
I 17:42:16 Write Mode: BD
I 17:42:16 Write Type: DAO
I 17:42:16 Write Speed: 2x
I 17:42:16 Hardware Defect Management Active: No
I 17:42:16 BD-R Verify Not Required: Yes
I 17:42:16 Link Size: Auto
I 17:42:16 Lock Volume: Yes
I 17:42:16 Test Mode: No
I 17:42:16 OPC: No
I 17:42:16 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 17:42:16 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 8.990 KB/s (2x)
I 17:42:16 Advanced Settings - Optimal Writing Speed: No

After waiting several minutes I try to kill Imgburn with task manager, and apparently the program is closed but the process is shown in task manager, the hard disk led is permanently on and I can't eject the burner tray, so I'm forced to reboot, no problem doing that.

I tried desperately several things, but I'm sure that the problem is related with the new firmware.

I tried:

- Different burning speeds

- Reinstalling Imgburn

- Reinstalling chipset driver

- Uninstalling the burner from 'Device manager' booting in safe mode and booting again after doing this to get it installed again in normal mode

- Enable OPC

- Try a different Primeon disc

- And lastly I tried a Verbatim double layer blu-ray, and no problem with this one (not problem with the previous firmware either)

Aside from this, I can read the Primeon burnt disc with the previous firmware, and Imgburn keeps showing me the info about these discs

Pioneer firmware website:

http://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html

SO BE CAREFUL WITH THIS NEW FIRMWARE!!, I don't suggest you to update it, because it seems that there is no way back.

Surely I'll will send an e-mail to Pioneer, I still can't believe this :-(

Kind regards

There will be a way to revert, you'll just need to use 3rd party tools or unlocked flashers.

You may find something of use over at the MyCE forums. They deal with this kind of thing (firmware things).

Thank you so much LUK, I will look for it :)

I have a reply from Pioneer and they gave me a different e-mail address, the one for computer section

If I find a solution I will post here

Kind regards

I encountered a similar problem.  I got a 209 to supplement my 2209 from Pioneer.  I put the 209 in my enclosure to test it before installing it internally, which was its target destination.  I updated the firmware to 1.50 from 1.34.  I tried burning a Verbatim BD-R SL, but at 70% into it, the write rate dropped to 0.0x and never resumed.  The drive light was off but the enclosure light was flashing.  Had to power off the enclosure and had a coaster.  I tried a DVD+RW and the same thing happened at 97% into Verify.  I installed the drive internally in case it might be the enclosure or a conflict with the enclosure and the 209.  The 2209 was no problem back in January with this same enclosure.  The drive works fine installed internally, it seems, so it must be either the enclosure or an incompatibility between the enclosure and the 209.

This doesn't appear to be your problem because the screen shot seems to indicate your drive is installed as SATA, which is internally installed.

I encountered a similar problem.  I got a 209 to supplement my 2209 from Pioneer.  I put the 209 in my enclosure to test it before installing it internally, which was its target destination.  I updated the firmware to 1.50 from 1.34.  I tried burning a Verbatim BD-R SL, but at 70% into it, the write rate dropped to 0.0x and never resumed.  The drive light was off but the enclosure light was flashing.  Had to power off the enclosure and had a coaster.  I tried a DVD+RW and the same thing happened at 97% into Verify.  I installed the drive internally in case it might be the enclosure or a conflict with the enclosure and the 209.  The 2209 was no problem back in January with this same enclosure.  The drive works fine installed internally, it seems, so it must be either the enclosure or an incompatibility between the enclosure and the 209.

This doesn't appear to be your problem because the screen shot seems to indicate your drive is installed as SATA, which is internally installed.

Yes, it's internally installed

Following LUK advice I posted my problem in MyCE forums:

https://club.myce.com/t/i-cant-burn-primeon-bd-dl-after-updating-burner-firmware-pioneer-bdr-209dbk/400827

Aside from this I've sent a couple of e-mails to supposedly Pioneer related people, the main e-mail to get in touch with them doesn't work.

I think the only way is waiting for a new firmware or maybe someone able to release a tool to revert it.

Kind regards

If you're adventurous, you could try reverting the Pioneer firmware from 1.50 to 1.34 with DVRTool.  See what I did here:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/24254-random-trouble-with-bd-writeverify/

However, be aware that my experience with DVRTool works with the Pioneer BD-2209 drive.  It may not work with your drive.

If you're adventurous, you could try reverting the Pioneer firmware from 1.50 to 1.34 with DVRTool.  See what I did here:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/24254-random-trouble-with-bd-writeverify/

However, be aware that my experience with DVRTool works with the Pioneer BD-2209 drive.  It may not work with your drive.

Thank you so much @dbminter, your link was very useful, I was able to extract the firmware from updater.exe using 7Zip, and later revert my burner to the previous firmware using DVRTool v1.02, and guess what . . . I have the same problem!!

Thanks a bunch @LIGHTNING UK! and @dbminter for your great help :)

I don't recommend you to purchase these discs, it seems to me that first one of the spindle is the only one usable ROFL

Kind regards

Yeah, you probably just had a random fluke where one worked.  Even crap media will, on occasion, succeed every once in a while.  If those discs don't work on both firmware revisions, the problem is either the drive or the discs.  And Ritek is a 2nd tier disc manufacturer.  And you should never go for Ritek for double layer media.  Verbatim, pretty much, makes the only good DVD+R DL discs, so they probably make the only good BD DL media.  I only use their BD-RE DL and sometimes TDK made Verbatim's BD-RE DL, which I've also used successfully.

I recommend reflashing that drive back to 1.50.  There was a bork in the firmware with 1.34 involving Ritek 8x DVD+RW discs not writing correctly, always failing Verify, that Pioneer fixed with 1.50.  So, who knows what else they fixed?  Of course, who knows what else they might have broke?!  :lol:  I wrote to Pioneer nearly 2 years ago about that DVD+RW issue, but never expected anymore firmware updates to the drive after almost 2 years.  Color me surprised when it came out on the 2nd of March!  :o

Edited by dbminter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again dudes!

Oh my cock! Shame on me!, the problem was not the firmware nor the Primeon discs, just the blu-ray I was trying to burn, it was not properly unprotected, despite BDinfo did not indicate nothing wrong, even playing the movie.

My mistake was trying to burn always the same blu-ray using Primeon discs, I burnt different ones with Verbatim but not this one . . .

Primeon discs seems to have a very decent quality by the way.

Kind regards

Your drive isn't going to know or care about about any encryption that hasn't been removed. Data is data.

If your initial issue is what's always been happening (stuck reserving the track), not even data (content) comes into it... just the size of it all (in sectors).

Those Primeon's you're burning appear to be Ritek.  Ritek makes an OK single layer media for DVD, but don't use anything they make for DL DVD.  So, I doubt their BD-R DL is going to be much better.

Even if you had an improperly decrypted Blu-Ray movie you were attempting to burn, that wouldn't prevent the drive from starting writing to it.  You'd get a burn that if it completed, it wouldn't play properly, most likely.

Problems with writes that don't start or fail to complete are hardware related, generally.  Either your drive needs replacing, it has a conflict with the media you're trying to burn to, or, in rare cases, some kind of software conflict is preventing the writing to media.  However, it's not unusual for firmware updates to bork writing to particular media.  There was the 1.33 to 1.34 bork I mentioned fixed by 1.50.

I'd try Verbatim BD-R DL media and see if that works.  If it does, then you know the issue is with Primeon discs.  If Verbatim also fails, you have to consider the drive being the problem.  If it's the drive, it may need replacing, there may be a bork in the latest firmware, or a software conflict going on.

Thanks mates, I understand what you mean and it makes sense of course, but let me explain first what I tried.

That folder was in my hard disk, with blu-ray structure, BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders of course. I copied it to a different hard disk of my PC, same problem trying to burn it, so I copied it to a different PC via LAN with a different burner, exactly the same problem trying to burn it.

I processed that folder with DVDFab, and then I was able to burn it, using the Primeon discs by the way . . .

Yeah I understand what you mean, what's wrong then?. It's possible to copy and move data to different hard disks, nothing weird analyzing with BDinfo, even it's possible to play the movie, very strange thing.

My third Primeon disc burnt, no problem at all, even at 4X, layer break transition ok, unlike Mediarange crap . . .

I updated my burner to firmware 1.50 again :)

Kind regards

You know?  The sad fact of the matter is that some things just don't make sense.  There's obviously a cause, but you'll be damned if you can find it.  And the way I see it, as long as you get a working solution, go with it.  :D

You know?  The sad fact of the matter is that some things just don't make sense.  There's obviously a cause, but you'll be damned if you can find it.  And the way I see it, as long as you get a working solution, go with it.  :D

Yeah, there is a logical explanation for this, I don't believe in witches, maybe hard to find out, no time and energy to try out it

Kind regards

I believe in witches, just not what they believe.  :wink:  There are such things as witches, in that there are women who practice magic.  But, it doesn't mean what they believe is a fact.  Same problem with gods.  Gods exist because people have created them as a concept.  Doesn't mean they're real, though, which they aren't.

I want to share another funny thing with you:

BRAND: Mediarange (MR508)
MANUFACTURER: Mitsubishi Kagaku Media
EAN: 4260057128980
MID: VERBAT-IMf-000
CAPACITY: 50 GB
SPINDLE: 25 discs

-----

BRAND: Verbatim
MANUFACTURER: Mitsubishi Kagaku Media
EAN/UPC: VBR260YP20SV1
MID: VERBAT-IMf-000
CAPACITY: 50 GB
SPINDLE: 20 discs

Possible writing speeds:

LG BHN16NS40 -> 4x, 6X, 8X (both) , burning Mediarange you nearly always get a coaster, burning Verbatim nearly always is successful (burning both at 4X, that is minimum speed available)

Pioneer BDR-209DBK -> 2X, 4X, 6X, 8X (both) , burning Mediarange usually is successful at 2X if we try 4X you get a coaster for sure, burning Verbatim at 2X or 4X is nearly always successful

I always verify what I burn

Apparently both discs are the same, different brand but same manufacturer and MID, but obviously are not the same quality, Mediarange process of production must be different . . .

So, it's no the same Kentucky Fried Chicken than three fuckin' in the kitchen   ROFL

Nice people, nice forum, please don't die before I do :)

Kind regards

Yes, with Pioneer firmware, what you describe is not unprecedented.  Two discs with the same Disc ID should be the same, but apparently aren't.  Years ago, Verbatim DVD+R DL did the same thing on Pioneer burners.  Verbatim's branded and inkjet printable DVD+R DL had the SAME DID, but the inkjet printable discs would ALWAYS fail Verify!  :o  The branded ones would always burn correctly.  Pioneer eventually fixed this in a future firmware revision. 

So, it may be worth a support e-mail to Pioneer to let them know this.  I let them know about their borking 1.33 to 1.34 for Ritek 8x DVD+RW and they apparently fixed it in 1.50.  I also recently wrote them about their BD Drive Utility.  If you have more than 1 kind (Multiple copies of the same drive don't do this.) of Pioneer BD drive installed on the system, the utility only recognizes the first connected Pioneer device as being available for configuration.  They said this was normal behavior but that they'd forward it to the developers to see if they could do something about it.  So, who knows if they actually will :lol: but, you never know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.