Windows 10 "Chokes" on UDF 2.50 Labels...maybe?

AlbertEinstein

Hi,

I just successfully burned a BD-R 25GB disc with your software. After the burn was finished I went to look at the BD-R label in the Windows 10 File Explorer and it wasn't showing. So, I went back to your program and into "Read" mode to see if it could read the label without any issues and it did. I'm not sure what's up with Windows File Explorer choking on the display of labels. Maybe it's the version of the UDF file systems that I'm using? I closed and reopened File Explorer. That didn't fix the label not being displayed. Maybe a restart of Windows 10 will fix the issue? I can explore the disc just fine though.

***EDIT***: On a more positive note, I just launched diskmgmt.msc and it does successfully show the label in that software package. So, by my observations, File Explorer sucks, that's all it is.

***EDIT***: I just checked the properties of my optical device in File Explorer again. It shows the "File System" as: "Unknown". I put all 3 file systems on the BD-R. I think it's okay with reading UDF 1.02 but not UDF 2.50. I'm gonna back away from using 2.50 and just use UDF 1.02 on my next burn since I don't see much benefit for me personally anyways.

Edited by AlbertEinstein

Go for a reboot. Windows doesn’t always notice the disc contents have changed.

Windows 10 definitely supports all current udf versions.

Well, that sounds like a bug to me. I just finished burning another BD-R disc and Windows 10 immediately recognized both 1)the UDF volume label in the Windows File Explorer and 2) the file system as being "UDF" in the properties dialog box of the BD-R drive. I used UDF 1.02 this time instead of UDF version 2.50.

So, I would personally phrase Windows 10 support of all UDF file systems versions as less than perfect. Rebooting to see a volume label after each burn is not something I want to do. Especially, since 1) your software has no problem with UDF 2.50 labels nor does 2) diskmgmt.msc.

100's of programmers working on different applications on Windows 10 so this isn't a big deal for me. There are lots of easy work arounds.

I guess the title of my thread should have been, more concisely, "Windows 10 File Explorer Chokes on UDF 2.50 Labels!".

Edited by AlbertEinstein

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.