Low-fragmented image file creation

f0dder

Hey, when using "Mode: build" to create a .iso file, the resulting file is often pretty fragmented. If you, before starting the build, use SetFilePointer to move to the calculated final ISO size, then SetEndOfFile and finally SetFilePointer back to beginning of the file, then file fragmentation will be as small as possible.

This is almost zero overhead on NTFS filesystems, but takes quite a while on FAT.

Cool, I'll do that for the next version then.

I hadn't seen that 'SetEndOfFile' function before now but I knew this kinda of thing was possible because lots of programs seem to allocate the full size needed for a file before actually writing anything.

Perhaps I'll limit it to just doing it on NTFS though if there's a lot of overhead on FAT.

EDIT: Done it now. Thanks again.

It's when all the pieces of the file are rearranged so that they are all in order one after the other. Fragging is when there is not enough room for the file, so it splits it up into fragments to store it. Hence disk speed is slower because the OS has to search for the other pieces of the file.

I defragged once! :D

Regards

Defrag? What's that? :D

What? Somthing wrong with my explanation? Whats going on?

good explination ,he knows what it is just doesn't do it (defrag I mean) very often ,I believe I'm due for my yearly defrag also :lol:

I defrag my drives quite frequently (if I don't set a schedule to do it for me), but what I mean is that I don't take note of which files are fragmented and which aren't.

I do tend to do drive c: a lot more often than my other drives though and I never use c: for building / burning images.

So long as all the pretty little blocks are up one end of the drive I'm happy :)

Defragging is the remorse you feel after destroying your friend with a hand grenade. So, you go about and pick up his pieces, stitch them back together, using assorted other involuntary donor's parts for those that can't be used/found, and apply Galvanic forces to revive him.

Defragging is the remorse you feel after destroying your friend with a hand grenade. So, you go about and pick up his pieces, stitch them back together, using assorted other involuntary donor's parts for those that can't be used/found, and apply Galvanic forces to revive him.

This is true. You can use Galvanic Forces for anything these days. As "dbminter" posted, it can be used when after destroying your friend with a hand grenade. Or also when you are constipated. But use it wisely, Galvanic Forces may cause fissures (somewhere) when used while constipated.

Edited by dA CLOwN

Galvanic forces also can cause major disruptions in the time line. For instance, when Galvanic forces travelled back to the late 1980's and accidentally changed the past of Megatronic forces. Thus altering the past of said Galvanic forces by preventing those Megatronic forces from reaching its future, which was pivitol in Galvanic's past. :albert:

What? Somthing wrong with my explanation? Whats going on?

LOL!! =)) I know what it is. I bought my first computer the same year you were born. :) I gotta ask though, what the hell do you do with your 5 1/4" floppy drive? I haven't used one of those in so long I can barely remember them. I actually cleared out one of my "computer bits" cupboards about a month ago and found hundreds of them full of Soundtracker modules. (Amiga music modules).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.