How can I save an image fast of a movie DVD with (more than a few) read errors?

AlbertEinstein

I've tried several times to rip an image of a standard DVD movie disc to my hard disk drive. In "Settings->Read" I've set:

Read Errors->Software Retries to 0, (checked) Hardware Retires: to 0, and (checked) Ignore Read Errors.

Still, the software seems to engage in retries anyway. Is there a fast easy way to rip a standard DVD movie disc with the ImgBurn software that doesn't take hours wasting time on retries?

The funny part is, I've watched the movie with the scratches and one can never even detect it's not a perfect copy as the DVD players handle the errors/scratches without a single hiccup.

I wish the imaging process was the same. Take what's good and skip the bad, fast as you can. After so many minutes of optical disc drive grinding I just abort the operation.

Any tips for me?

Edited by AlbertEinstein

You might want to, then, remove ImgBurn from the equation.  Just copy the contents from the disc in Windows/File Explorer to a temporary location to do the "reading."  Then, create a new DVD Video job in ImgBurn with that content.

You might want to, then, remove ImgBurn from the equation.  Just copy the contents from the disc in Windows/File Explorer to a temporary location to do the "reading."  Then, create a new DVD Video job in ImgBurn with that content.

I'll try it, thanks.

EDIT: Wow, it worked. You are a genius. Thank You!!! It's a bit mind-boggling how easy the work-around was. My method was killing off my optical drive faster than I wanted too. It's already old enough. No reason for me to kill it on purpose.   :)

Edited by AlbertEinstein

I’m amazed that worked if the disc is unreadable.

I am too. I didn't think it would "really" work. The disc becomes unreadable at about 75% through the ImgBurn process. So, your software is imaging fine for a long time until it starts getting near the outer edges of the disc. Then, it just becomes a nightmare.

But on the other hand, since I know that standard DVD players just ignore read errors so you can enjoy your movie even with scratches, it does make sense in a way. Maybe my burner is special in that it behaves the same way using the File Explorer. Or maybe the credit is all due to File Explorer by ignoring the read errors in a different way.

Edited by AlbertEinstein

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.