Burning RAMdisk .img Image File Does Not Work

Disco Makberto

Hello, e-group!

It seems that there is a problem with ImgBurn, or perhaps there is something wrong somewhere else. I used Dataram RAMdisk to create a RAMdisk drive, added some data to it, and then I saved the RAMdisk drive to my hard drive in the form of an .img image file. The size was 500mb. Then, I tried to burn this .img image file to a DVD+R in my Windows 7 using ImgBurn, but it didn't work. Thinking that there could be something wrong with my Windows 7, I tried to burn this .img image file to a DVD+R in a Windows XP system using ImgBurn again, but it didn't work, one more time. Thus, I decided to use my Puppy Linux and PBurn. To my amusement, the process worked perfectly fine in my Puppy Linux, and the .img image file was burned to a DVD+R. Does anybody know what's going on here? Could it be that ImgBurn is not compatible with a RAMdisk .img image file?

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

You could try mounting this .IMG file in a virtual optical disc drive.  If it won't mount, ImgBurn will most likely not burn it.  And you've already shown that ImgBurn probably can't handle RAM disk type image files.

If I had to hazard a guess, those types of image files aren't compatible with optical disc burning.  I believe .IMG was also the image file format for making images of floppy disks back in the days of those drives.  Those definitely have FAT type tables, so they're no good in an ImgBurn situation like the one you're trying to use it for.

Thanks for the responses! Yes, the RAMdisk .img file created by DataRam RAMdisk is like an HDD image file formatted, for instance, with FAT32. So, indeed, in this case, this is not an optical disc image file. At any rate, Nero uses a similar .img file for optical discs, sometimes called Nero .img file and, since this Nero .img file is a proper optical disc image, it should be compatible with ImgBurn. As dbminter was saying, another member of the .img "family" is the floppy disk image from back in the day. All these images, whether proper optical disc images or not, can be burned onto optical discs using something like PBurn from Puppy Linux. As for mounting, DataRam RAMdisk can mount a RAMdisk .img file.

Carlos  Albert "Disco Makberto"

Edited by Disco Makberto

6 hours ago, LIGHTNING UK! said:

Stick with PBurn then. :)

Not so fast! (;

One problem with PBurn is "volume label". When burning files onto an optical disc, the volume label is always "CDROM" whether the files are on CD/DVD/BD. I am not sure why....With ImbBurn, indeed, personalizing volume labels is always a breeze (:

Best to all,

Carlos Albert "Disco Makberto"

14 hours ago, Disco Makberto said:

One problem with PBurn is "volume label". When burning files onto an optical disc, the volume label is always "CDROM" whether the files are on CD/DVD/BD. I am not sure why....With ImbBurn, indeed, personalizing volume labels is always a breeze (:

You could burn with PBurn to a disc, read the burned disc with ImgBurn, and burn that 2nd image file with a different label.  It's a little cumbersome, but it can be done that way if you really wanted to set your own labels.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 11:55 PM, dbminter said:

You could burn with PBurn to a disc, read the burned disc with ImgBurn, and burn that 2nd image file with a different label.  It's a little cumbersome, but it can be done that way if you really wanted to set your own labels.

Great idea, dbminter! I had not thought of that. Yes, it is a little cumbersome, but its one way to deal with it (:

Edited by Disco Makberto
Signature

On 8/4/2018 at 1:05 PM, LIGHTNING UK! said:

What if you made a small ramdisk img file, burnt it with pburn and then read that disc to a new iso file using ImgBurn?

You could upload both files and maybe I could see what it has actually done.

My pleasure, Lighting UK! Just please allow me some extra days as I am dealing with otitis externa with some fever and mild headaches. I think that by next weekend I will be in good spirits to undertake the little project. As for "both files", you mean the original .img image file (the one for the project) and the new ISO created by ImgBurn, am I right?

See you soon,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, one more time!

After re-checking the disc that I have, I noticed that what PBurn did was to burn the .img file as an .img file. In other words, it didn't burn the contents of the .img file, just the plain .img file. On the other hand, based on what I have noticed, ImgBurn tries to burn the "contents" of an image file, whether we are dealing with an .img file or something like an .iso file. I believe I am correct, aren't it? At any rate, DataRam RAMdisk needs an .img file to mount it, not the contents of an .img file. It is like an .iso mounter such as PowerISO or MagicISO that need an .iso file to mount it, not the contents of the .iso file.

About the new little project, if it is still of help, I will do it as soon as possible. But again, the burn is a simple file to file burn.

Kindest regards,

• 1 year later...

Dear e-group,

First of all, happy "Valentine's Day" to all members and readers!

Please be so kind to excuse me for not having responded before, but here I am.

So, yes, "Lighting UK!", using Build mode solved all problems. Now I can use my "RAMdisk .img" on optical discs via "Dataram RAMdisk" without any issues.

Kindest regards,

Edited by Disco Makberto
Quotes

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.