Not Ready To Ready Change - Medium May Have Changed

dbminter

What exactly does the Reason: Not Ready To Ready Change - Medium May Have Changed mean?

I ask because in this one enclosure I've put a Pioneer 2209 in, I get some really bad results.  The drive seems to drop communication.  Write rates will drop to 0.0x and never resume.  This time, I actually got an error message in an aborted write.

I 17:38:00 Operation Started!
I 17:38:00 Image Contents: 185 Files, 15 Folders
I 17:38:00 Image Sectors: 7,809,504 (MODE1/2048)
I 17:38:00 Image Size: 15,993,864,192 bytes
I 17:38:00 Image Volume Set Identifier: 4D278CBD007728D3
I 17:38:00 Image Application Identifier: ImgBurn v2.5.9.0
I 17:38:00 Image Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
I 17:38:00 Image File System(s): UDF (2.60)
I 17:38:00 Destination Free Space: 82,462,683,136 Bytes (80,529,964.00 KiB) (78,642.54 MiB) (76.80 GiB)
I 17:38:00 Destination File System: NTFS
I 17:38:00 File Splitting: 4 GiB
I 17:38:01 Writing Image...
I 17:41:56 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:03:55
I 17:41:56 Average Write Rate: 66,463 KiB/s (15.1x) - Maximum Write Rate: 178,957 KiB/s (40.8x)
I 17:42:31 Operation Started!
I 17:42:31 Source File Sectors: 7,809,504 (MODE1/2048)
I 17:42:31 Source File Size: 15,993,864,192 bytes
I 17:42:31 Source File Volume Set Identifier: 4D278CBD007728D3
I 17:42:31 Source File Application Identifier: ImgBurn v2.5.9.0
I 17:42:31 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
I 17:42:31 Source File File System(s): UDF (2.60)
I 17:42:31 Destination Device: [0:0:0] PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-209M 1.51 (R:) (USB 3.0)
I 17:42:31 Destination Media Type: BD-R (HTL) (Disc ID: VERBAT-IMe-000)
I 17:42:31 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, 12x, 16x
I 17:42:32 Destination Media Sectors: 12,219,392
I 17:42:32 Write Mode: BD
I 17:42:32 Write Type: DAO
I 17:42:32 Write Speed: MAX
I 17:42:32 Hardware Defect Management Active: No
I 17:42:32 BD-R Verify Not Required: Yes
I 17:42:32 Link Size: Auto
I 17:42:32 Lock Volume: Yes
I 17:42:32 Test Mode: No
I 17:42:32 OPC: No
I 17:42:32 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 17:42:32 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 71,920 KB/s (16x)
I 17:42:32 Advanced Settings...
I 17:42:32 BD Optimum Writing Speed: Not Supported
I 17:42:32 BD-R High Speed Recording: Not Supported
I 17:42:32 Optimal Writing Speed: No
I 17:42:32 Filling Buffer... (40 MiB)
I 17:42:32 Writing LeadIn...
I 17:42:43 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 7809503)
I 17:42:43 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 7809503)
W 17:47:13 Failed to Write Sectors 4507008 - 4507039 - Reason: Not Ready To Ready Change - Medium May Have Changed
W 17:47:13 Retrying (1 of 20)...
W 17:47:15 Retry Failed - Reason: Invalid Address For Write
W 17:47:15 Retrying (2 of 20)...
W 17:47:15 Retrying (20 of 20)...
E 17:47:20 Failed to Write Sectors 4507008 - 4507039 - Reason: Not Ready To Ready Change - Medium May Have Changed
E 17:47:20 Next Writable Address: 4506080 / 1001:23:05
I 17:47:20 Synchronising Cache...
W 17:47:23 User opted to skip the 'Close Track/Session/Disc' functions.
E 17:47:23 Failed to Write Image!
I 17:47:27 Exporting Graph Data...
I 17:47:27 Export Successfully Completed!
E 17:47:27 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:04:51
I 17:47:27 Average Write Rate: 32,659 KiB/s (7.4x) - Maximum Write Rate: 48,416 KiB/s (11.0x)

I've had this drive for 6 months, since around March.  I once had to replace a 2209 within 7 months, so, could it be that the drive is dying?  I wonder if it's the enclosure because I believe I had this occur on my newer 2209, too.  Plus, the Medium May Have Changed message leads me to wonder if the drive dropped communication and resumed.  I've wondered if this enclosure is simply dropping communication with the drive. 

Then again, I've had several write failures in this same 2209 in a different enclosure, but those were bombed out writes with error messages.  None of this 0.0x crap.  But, that could be a batch of not as quality BD-R's even though they are Verbatim.

I think I'll try putting in the newer 2209 I got in May in this same enclosure and see if the process improves.  In the meantime, any advice anyone can follow up on would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Yes, I'm not sure if it's the enclosure, the drive, the media, or some combination of them.  Given this has happened on my oldest and newer 2209's, I'm more inclined to believe it's the enclosure.

Yeah, it's most likely the enclosure.  I just put in my newest 2209 and on the first attempt to burn another BD-R, it dropped to 0.0x.  It's either that or these BD-R's, which I'm highly less inclined to believe.

Does the attached screen shot of a failed burn help?  It's taken right after the drive drops communication and writes plummet to 0.0x.  I notice this time it says something about a semaphore timeout issue.  So, that indicates to me it's the enclosure dropping communication, but I don't know.

Capture.JPG

Edited by dbminter

Wait, could this issue be caused by a bad USB 3.0 cable?  I put in the other enclosure, but upon connecting and powering on, ImgBurn nor Windows recognized the device as connected.  So, I tried a different USB cable on a different port and the drive was recognized.  So, I put this new cable in the port where the old cable was, and Windows recognized the device.  This leads me to believe the issue was a bad USB cable. 

Could a bad USB cable cause a semaphore timeout issue like this?

Well, it's not the USB cable.  I connected a new cable, but it was the 2nd enclosure and a LG drive that were the problem of the drive not showing up.  Whenever the drive is powered off, it doesn't show up again in Windows until the PC is restarted (Logging off Windows doesn't work.) or the USB cable is removed and reinserted at either end.  It seems to be something with this 2nd enclosure or the LG drive and a recent BIOS update that cause this.  Because, before, this drive always was detected without issue when powered off and on each time before September 1st, when this BIOS update was installed.

So, this means the issue has to be 1.) the other enclosure  2.) the Pioneer 2209 in the enclosure  3.) something with the September 1st BIOS update or 4.) something in Windows causing the device to drop communication.  It's not #2 because I tried swapping in different 2209's in the first enclosure and it still wouldn't write correctly.  It has to be either the first option or the 3rd.

I say it's the enclosure.  I was getting the 0.0x problem on a different Dell PC with this enclosure and the 2209.

Hm, something weird is going on somewhere.  I put in the 2nd enclosure with the LG drive, which I don't entirely trust either because after less than 2 months, it's power supply died and the company replaced it.  That was working fine, but, now, whenever I power off the enclosure after the drive is recognized by Windows, powering on the drive doesn't recognize it until either the USB cable is removed and inserted from either end or Windows is restarted.  I just now did a BD-R burn and although the burn finished, Verify never started.  The drive ejected the media and reloaded it.  ImgBurn then said the device was waiting with the Tray Closed, but nothing happened.  :O  The drive never lit up and the Verify never started.  Cancelling the Verify was without incident and manually issuing the Verify passed entirely fine.

I even restored my system to factory default and the drive still isn't recognized on power cycle until restart/the cable is removed/inserted from either end.  It used to not do that.  It used to be detected fine all the time. 

I don't know if this was working fine after the BIOS update or not.  Or if this behavior began after updating the BIOS.

The above Verify not starting may have been a fluke.  Just now burned a DVD+RW and Verify started fine.  However, the problem before was on a BD-R, so I'll try burning another one of those.

Just tried a BD-R burn and Verify started fine.  So, before must have been a fluke.  I'll, of course, keep an eye on it.

Edited by dbminter

Well, I just can't tell.  I accidentally ejected a disc while a read operation was in progress.  When I reinserted the disc to start the read operation again, ImgBurn locked up.  Had to power off the enclosure, disconnect the USB cable from the back of the enclosure, and reconnect it.  The 2nd read attempt then started.

So, I just don't know!  :unknown:

Something is wrong, somewhere, but it's so random I can't get a bead on it.

It has something to do with semaphore time outs, but they appear to be happening randomly.  Regardless of the enclosure used, although the Other World Computing one is doing better.  It just doesn't recognize the drive has been inserted until the cable is removed/reinserted.  :rolleyes:  Just now, though, an attempted write to a DVD+RW sat for more than 2 minutes at writing the lead in.  The drive did nothing but blink, but that was because it was a blank, formatted disc with nothing ever having been written to it before.  Blank rewritable media that have been formatted seem to do this on ALL drives I've ever tested.  So, the WriteIn never started.  Had to power cycle the device, after which I got a semaphore timeout error.  BUT, is that BECAUSE I powered off the drive?  Or had it already timed out before I was forced to cycle the power?  :unsure:

The enclosure power supply must have 12V for sure, but which is its maximum amperage?. The Pioneer 2209 needs 12V to operate, but same question, which amperage does it need?. You can find that info in the labels of each one (output).

Which is the brand and model of the enclosure? is it UASP capable? and your system?

Regards

The only thing I know from the questions you asked is it is 12v.

I have tried 2 different enclosures with different results.  One is the Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar DX model here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRUN0HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the other is just called an Other World Computing Mercury Pro one here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRCCV44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Vantec was working fine initially on 2 different Dell XPS models, but now BD-R was failing nearly every time.  The Mercury Pro one does better except for it not detecting some things being inserted like I said.  And the Mercury Pro needs its USB cable removed and reinserted now every time the power is turned off to the drive before Windows recognizes the drive.  The problem with the Mercury Pro is the power supplies don't seem to be very good.  The first one I had stopped sending power to the enclosure after 2 months.  OWC sent me a replacement for it, though.

It could be the Pioneer being in the Vantec that is problematic.  It does seem to work better in the Mercury Pro.  Or it could be the Vantec has gone bad but given I'm also having some iffy results now on the Mercury Pro with my LG BD burner, I'm not entirely sure.  I didn't have much problems before on my Dell XPS 8700 PC.  It's on this Dell XPS 8930 that I've begun having issues.  And you need enclosures for that model because Dell removed half height bays from the towers.  :rolleyes:

I don't know what I'd be looking for in the BIOS.  A BIOS update was done on the 1st.  I think something could be up in that.  I didn't have the disconnecting the USB cable issue before that.

Safe mode wouldn't really help since the issue is random.  I wouldn't know if I got no bad results was the result of booting into safe mode or simply because I hadn't encountered the issue yet.  I could test safe mode for the USB cable issue, I suppose.  I have tested it by restoring my PC to its factory default image and the USB cable issue was still there.

It's not really a burning issue on the Mercury.  The Mercury has problems detecting when media is inserted.  It doesn't detect it's there.  Except for the DVD+RW burn where WriteIn never took place at the start of the burn, so the burning speed is not an issue.

The Vantec has some problems completing BD-R burns, but the Mercury does not.  Which leads me more and more to believe it's the Vantec being problematic over the Mercury, despite its somewhat spotty behavior.  However, both enclosures having problems leads me to wonder, though.  Yet, each enclosure has different issues.

Well, I booted into Safe Mode to test the Mercury Pro's unable to detect a powered on enclosured drive until the USB cable is removed and reinserted.  I knew it wouldn't do any good since it didn't do any good on the factory default partition.  And, I was right, as is usually the case.  :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.