TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

That's pretty good especially for 25 gigabytes and 9 Minutes! Yes I agree with you. I seriously doubt that a full 25gb will do anything more than what you already demonstrated. Maybe with a different drive you'll be able to do it?

I think vso is taking too long to take care of that convert x video app? The only thing they responded via email was about the beta update that you and I both already know about. And to be honest with you there are a couple of programs out there already established and  vso is just coming to the party as of late.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, this Pioneer is trash!  :angry:  It's already stopped writing to DVD+RW!  :rolleyes:  I used a brand new unwritten to disc.  I wrote it in the LG to make sure it would write in the Pioneer and it still failed.  And it failed on 2 other DVD+RW so it's not the discs being the problem.  Time to see if Pioneer has a replacement program like LG does.  And, if it doesn't, this just puts the final nail in the coffin for me and Pioneer.  I'd rather have a slower writing drive that doesn't have all the problems of a Pioneer than have a faster writing drive from Pioneer with all the problems.

Send it back if you can! LG has been vety reliable as of late. Pioneer used to be great as Plextor and that other one I can't think of now. You have to see who's into the more modern stuff across the board and then stick to that.

My PC went dead for a bit! I gad to shut it down, open it up and vacuum it up! Then it turned on. I noticed with these new updates that it cyckes off the USB druves more frequent than before. I'm going to have to either buy some extensions for my sata power cabkes on my PSU, or get a new ine because I had trimmed of extra ones back in the day. This PSU is over ten years and still kucking! And they try to put Cooler Master down in the reviews! Just like Dell and that's my favorite!

I'm doing my whole collection into HEVC MKV AC3 audio, 5.1 and up if possible. Man I have a lot of movies! I deleted many also. Al Pacino alone there's about 10-12 flics. Are you watching anything lately? That Yellowstone finally picked up! They shut that damn daughter up for a bit! Freaking annoying! Which means great acting. NOS4A2 also finished strong. Now I'm watching City on a Hill and Animal Kingdom. The mother is a nuisance here. Angie Dickinson plays the part.  DVDFab is something else with their Lightning Shrink encoding and decoding! I converted an MP4 to HEVC MKV AC3 in under 3 minutes and clear picture. They don't support uft-8 subtitles though? Ask for a feature request.

I've e-mailed Pioneer's warranty department.  If I can't get a replacement, well, that's the deal killer for Pioneer and I.  I will then continually tell people to avoid Pioneer.  They keep borking their firmware and over the past 2 years, the quality of their hardware has been declining.  My first Pioneer BD drive lasted for 2 years, the longest any optical drive I ever had.  And, ever since then, they've lasted less and less as long.

I'm currently watching the SyFy Channel version of the BBC show Being Human on DVD.

Hmmm, interesting being "Human" isn't it? Lol!!!

I emailed a pastor not so long ago and told him that I don't think things were ever done as the Bible lays out. People were close to savages back then, and even now at our most civilized state look how things are in and outside the truth.

Anyway,  I'm going to study some things which some are video/audio related. 

I need feedback from you or anyone qualified on the use of the ARC HDMI port now available on hdtvs. I think it doesn't put out good audio, and that having it set to PCM is better. Thanks.

You do a lot of burning so best to see what's quoted as lasting a tad longer than most.

Being Human is, ironically, all about people who aren't.  A vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost all live together in a home and try their best not to be outed as monsters.

The Bible is a book of philosophy.  As that, it has some nice things to say, like love thy neighbor.  As a book of facts and history, it's woefully inadequate.  For instance, if God gathered the dust of the Earth, made man's body, and breathed life into his nostrils, why do we share 95% of the same DNA as orangutans and 99% of the same DNA as chimpanzees if we didn't evolve from lower primates?  Why do we still have a tail bone if we never had tails to begin with?  And I could go on about the contradictory things it says or just the things that simply fail logical analysis, but I won't.

I know next to nothing about HDMI.  In fact, I never started using it until a few years ago when I connected my Playstation 3 to my TV by HDMI.

Well as the saying goes,"All you need is faith the size of a mustard seed..." 

Some, even most, still think as an animal so go figure.

Do you have any insight into the different audio formats? Thanks.

Faith the size of a mountain won't stop a bullet.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the audio formats.  In fact, it wasn't until about a year or 2 ago when I switched from 320 KBPS MP3 to FLAC/M4A Apple Lossless Codec files.  I was pretty much just fine with 320 KBPS lossy MP3 for 20 years until I realized that FLAC doesn't take up THAT much extra space given how voluminous HDD's are today.  Plus, for that extra size, you get lossless format.

I took the Pioneer 211 out of the enclosure and swapped back in the WH16NS60 LG sent me as a replacement.  It wrote just fine to the 2nd disc that was failing before in the 211.  I didn't need to test any further.  That proved it was the 211 and not a problem with the enclosure or USB cable or USB hub or USB port or some Windows problem.  Of course, I already KNEW this.  :wink:

Well, Pioneer has given me a place to send my drive for replacement, but, the problem is, I have to pay to ship it to them!  :greedy:  LG doesn't do that.  They send prepaid shipping labels for shipping by UPS.  Another reason to give LG my business over Pioneer.  They apparently stand by their products better.

So weigh it out. If a few bucks sending it back will fix it then fine. If not then stick with LG.

Can one use that Apple lossless audio on a PC and with MKV? I presume yes since you have a PC? I'd go that route myself. Storage is not nearly the enigma it used to be.

I'm getting stuck restarts and other stuff since that last Windows update. I'm going to boot eventually and see if any updates are available. They said they changed how we update Windows now.

Well, I don't know if the Apple Lossless codec used in its M4A's file can be used in video containers.  I use it expressly for iTunes ripping CD tracks because Windows 10 has a majorly messed up bug where, under certain bizarre circumstances, opening a PDF for the first time after making certain system changes will cause Windows Media Player to immediately crash when creating CD containers!  :rolleyes:  I repeatedly tell Microsoft, but they don't care.  So, I can't rip to FLAC anymore and iTunes doesn't offer it.  Only M4A as Apple Lossless Codec files.  At least MPC-HC plays M4A and Wondershare Filmora supports importing them for conversion to video containers.

The last update to Windows 10 implemented some welcome new changes to how Windows updates itself.  For instance, only parts that have changed since the last update are updated instead of downloading a whole update.  And Windows 10 will delay installation of updates for revision bumps.  For instance, if you manually check for the last KB update, it will find it but you have to manually start the download and update installation yourself.  This way, you can find out if there are new updates, but you can take a system image before actually installing them.

Hm, funny thing about the WH16NS60.  I didn't think it supported 16x BD-R, but according to tech support I asked when I queried them if they'd support that in a firmware update, they said it ALREADY supported it!  :o  Of course, they also say there's no 1.02 firmware update but the LG replacement they sent me says it's 1.02 in ImgBurn!  :rolleyes:

Now, I may have only been using 6x BD-R before in the NS60, which will get 12x maximum in that drive.  Maybe a 16x BD-R will get that.  Something I can test out now that I've swapped back in the NS60.

Yes I think it can be used along containers as long as the software supports it. 

You mean that totally irrelevant to CD ripping you opened a pdf file and now Windows Media Player is corrupt?

Their not the only game in town. Use that pwer2go. It rips CDs lovely to audio, Flac, Ape, and mp3. It also rips audio tracks out of videos. I ripped Thor Ragnarok's audio out as it was nice. CDex also is great and has that online service to fetch the info iykwim. I use any of those to then use Imgburn and create a .cue file. Very handy for suported playback on most devices. I do use WMP to fetch all my info and to rip to mp3.

Yes, opening a PDF and 2 other only marginally related factors cause WMP to crash when you try to rip CD tracks.  If you never open a PDF, it doesn't do this.  Doesn't matter what opens the PDF.  Adobe, Edge, or any alternative, it doesn't matter.

LG flat out lied to me!  :o  What's really sad?  I knew they were and they still did it.  16x BD-R ONLY writes at 12x.  The proof of the pudding is in the facts:

I 17:28:11 Source File Size: 23,955,767,296 bytes
I 17:28:11 Destination Device: [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST BD-RE  WH16NS60 1.02 (R:) (USB 3.0)
I 17:28:11 Destination Media Type: BD-R (HTL) (Disc ID: VERBAT-IMe-000)
I 17:28:11 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, 12x

I 17:28:11 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 53,952 KB/s (12x)

I 17:39:28 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:11:16
I 17:39:28 Average Write Rate: 36,326 KiB/s (8.3x) - Maximum Write Rate: 52,713 KiB/s (12.0x)

They didn't lie db. Write speed depends initially on the wrote speed descriptors supported for that type of blanks. You can see for yourself that type of disc (good stuff) only has them up to 12x.

So although the drive can do 16xx the discs /firmware combo won't let it

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Well, someone is lying.  Either LG when they told me these discs would write at 16x or Verbatim for putting 16x on the discs.  And, since Pioneer's will write at 16x, it can't be Verbatim.  I expressly asked LG if those media would write at 16x with a firmware update revision and they told me it was unnecessary as the WH16NS60 already supported the 16x Verbatim at 16x.  Which it doesn't.  Sounds to me like LG is the one being dishonest here.

I think what happened is that when you asked them if it supported writing 16 times they said yes, but they didn't say that it would write at 16 times, they just said that it would support it. Yeah a lot of these companies are funny like that believe it or not. I forgot somewhere else where somebody told me the same b*******.

Credit where it's due.  I sent a more detailed inquiry with ImgBurn log info pointing out that 16x rated Verbatim BD-R, as printed on the label, only write at 12x.  If there would be a firmware update so the WH16NS60 would write 16x at 16x to this Verbatim media.  And they did, after checking, say it does only write to 12x to that media.  They said they would try and raise this issue with the appropriate department, so maybe a firmware update will finally be released for this drive after a year and a half.

So, as I said, credit where credit is due as always.  Maybe some wires just got crossed somewhere in communication.

Yes! And even more of an incentive to stick with LG. Are there any e-sata external drives out there left? I had a docking station with an e-sata port as well as usb. 

Yes, more and more I'm starting to lean towards LG over Pioneer.  LG isn't perfect.  The WH16NS40 was a miss and the NS60 will die by scratching BD-R's.  Plus, my 2nd NS60 died after like 2 months, so it didn't last as long as it should have.  But, LG stood by it and replaced it so that's a plus.  And, as I said, I'd rather have a slightly slower writer and Verify drive versus a faster one with all the borked firmware issues.

Never had an eSATA peripheral, so I couldn't say anything about them.  I don't even know if I ever had an eSATA port on a PC.  eSATA just never really took off, so I think it's probably just all but abandoned by now.   But, you never know.  It looked like Thunderbolt was all but dead, but seems to have sprung back to life lately.

I have one that you can connect to your PC if you want one. They're fairly inexpensive. I'd just give it to you if you ever get a docking station or something with e-sata support. I'll look it up and see if it's still alive somehow. It's actually almost the same speed now even with USB 3.1 etc... You see that the USB still needs to convert the signal when it enters the PC. E-sata uses the sata interface so there's really no backlog. It's not dead. It's just not common. If you can get a hold of an E-sata enclosure you should go for it. The E-sata dongle is easy to put in. You just put it inside one of your ports which you should have at least one open.

I keep forgetting that The human condition is totally corrupt for the most part! I've been looking at all those files by certain individuals online and there's no way that a Blu-ray 1080p is going to fit on 400mb, even 1 or 2GB! Especially without losing quality drastically! I don't know why I even fell into believing that, though just a minute ago I said to myself that must be pure BS! Well yesterday I did some serious multitasking and I burned a DVD while I was encoding, while I was online, and doing something else and everything came out just fine.

I rarely do Blu-Ray to container conversions but I do have access to a BD movie that was one a BD-50.  I will create a container from it and see what results I get.  I'll let you know when it completes, as I expect it to take some time.

It's really interesting how life tries to trick you.  After swapping back in the WH16NS60, I had a DVD+RW fail on me.  Now, knowing this disc had been written to before, before I panicked, I tried a 2nd DVD+RW.  It wrote and Verified fine.  So, it just happened to choose that exact moment for the other DVD+RW to die on me in a blatant attempt to try and trick me.

Yeah, looks like it's going to take over an hour.  I'm creating an MKV from 1 hour, 43 minutes, and 16 seconds worth of main movie.  I'm using Handbrake, set at Fast 1080p30, with 1 audio track, English DTS 5.1 channel, and 1 subtitle track, English.  Only 1 Pass.  Theoretically, using Fast over any of the HQ settings will result in a smaller file size.  I guess I should have used Very Fast to minimize file size and time execution, but this should still be a good indicator once it finishes.

And the results are in: 6.81 GB!  :o

So, is it possible to get under 1 GB?  Yes.  But, it requires a lot of compression.  It would depend on the codec you're using, and it also means you're sacrificing video quality to get that small a size.

Thanks a million!

Of course it's possible! Though no way will the results be any good at the sizes that I'm seeing online. There's no way that a 25 or 50 GB is going to go down to that size using preset settings like the one you just said which ironically is the same one that I use fast 1080p 30. The only way for it to even go down to 1 GB etc etc is to manually put in the amount you want and manually set the bitrate excetera. It will definitely not look great like the ones they have online and so the guys online are fos!

Some of those claim 400mb from Blu-ray! No way! People will do anything for an audience when they need one.

Remember that story I told of Amazon.com sending me 6x BD-R that they advertised as 16x?  It happened again, this time with a brick and mortar store!  :o  I bought some 16x BD-R at Office Depot, but when I opened the package, every single disc in the stack was branded as 6x on the surface label!  :rolleyes:  Now, on the BDR-211, it might be possible to get 16x on 6x media.  On the WH16NS60, you get 12x on 6x (And 16x.) media.  So, the BD-R should get at least 12x, too, but I got these media for 16x, which can only be achieved on the BDR-211.  And mine is currently waiting to see if I can get replaced under warranty.  So, since it won't cost me anything to return these except my time, I'm taking them back to Office Depot.  Worst case scenario, they won't give me a refund, but should give me store credit.  If they won't give me anything, well, there's always Amazon.com to do my shopping from.  I can still get 12x on these 6x media, so it's not like they're useless, but it's not what I purchased them for.  So, if they won't give me a refund or store credit, I can still use them.  I'll just never buy BD-R from Office Depot again!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.