TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

Wao! Why are they advertising them as 16 x and then when you open them up there only six times? It's not saying up to 16 times correct? Do a little research online and see what others are saying about this. It won't cost you anything and you'll see if this has been an issue previously which I'm almost certain that it probably has. I haven't done anything at Office Depot since the last time I bought a chair from them that was on sale, though they do have some things that are still wanted by us in the media world. You never really got 16 times on those anyway correct? The highest you went on the Pioneer was about 14 x correct?

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, they don't say you'll get 16x because of the variances with drives and the firmware write strategies for each medium.  The box just says 16x and the label on the branded surface just says 16x.  Besides, the only drive I know of where you get anything other than 12x is on the BDR-211.  I don't know about any BD drive from ASUS or anyone else.  However, you can get 12x speed on the 6x media.  And they're probably charging more for the 6x media by claiming it's 16x since 16x media should be more expensive because it writes faster even though it isn't.  :greedy:

I've gotten all my office chairs, including the one I'm sitting in in front of my PC, at Office Depot.  So, I really can't just stop buying from them, really.

Yeah, I got 14.7x max on the BDR-211 with the 16x media that was nearly fully written.  If I had a full size image set, I would probably get 16x at the edge.  Like with my DVD+R.  16x is generally only achieved with a full 4.7 GB.

I checked the first page of reviews for the 16x BD-R Verbatim media on Amazon.com and someone else gave a negative review saying not to buy because they weren't as advertised.  Amazon.com sent them 6x instead of 16x.

Edited by dbminter

According to the software and drive and firmware. On the DVD+R Verbs I'll get 24x as I showed you. Definitely with Power2Go. ImgBurn also but gradually creeping towards the end. VSO aka ConvertXtoDVD, or their CopytoDVD will usually stop at half of what it's capable. Must say it's a sure burn.

So someone complained. Hit Verbatim see what they tell you.  I'm curious. You're paying for 16x not 6x.

Verbatim would deny anything.  If they're really doing it, they won't admit it.  If it's a mistake, they won't admit to that, either.  Amazon's probably just selling old 6x stock to get rid of it.  Or they may not even be aware they're doing it.  The packages both look the same except for the wording.  And they're probably sitting on all kinds of 6x stock they're trying to get rid of.

Now,  that it happened at a brick and mortar store is more of a dead giveaway that Verbatim would have done that themselves.  And it may have just been an accident.  Some batches of 6x's got mixed in with the 16x's.  Then again, it could be Verbatim's own conscious doing.  Who knows?  :unknown:

Sent off the Pioneer to the replacement place today.  Wasn't as big a hit on the wallet as I thought it might be.  2 day shipping, should get there by Saturday, for $9.95, but I paid an extra $3.50 for $155 insurance.  Best to get my $155 back if it gets lost in the mail for a $3.50 investment.  I've only ever had 3 pieces of mail never get delivered either to me or sent by me to someone else.  So, the likelihood of loss is low, but best to err on the side of caution when $155 is at stake.

it would be an accident if it said six times outside on the package or 16 x excuse me and then it turned out to be six times on the inside with the disc then that is not a mistake, especially twice now. Unless the discs are actually saying 16 times themselves and they're still writing to just six times or above then that's a whole other issue. So what exactly happening if I may ask? The wrapper or advertisement says 16x, and the discs 6x, or the discs say 16x and writing at 6x...? They know believe me, and they wouldn't take a chance purposely because there's middlemen involved.

They are a stack of 10 discs that come in a box.  The printing on the outside of the box says they're 16x.  But, the branded label surface of each disc says 6x.  When inserted in the LG WH16NS60, the maximum listed write rate is 12x.  And the drive will write to these discs at a maximum rate of 12x.  However, the same is said of 16x media, as the Pioneer BDR-211 is the only one I've seen that gets near 16x on the 16x media.

Must of been a manufacturing glitch but you should let Verbatim know, even though they almost positively let the resellers know. No way they would gamble on a lawsuit, no matter how trivial.

Probably wouldn't do any good to let Verbatim know.  They'd most likely tell me to do what I intend to do next week and return them.  If they are unaware, then it is probably a one off packaging error the automated lines made.  If they are aware, they'd deny anything, so it's kind of a wasted exercise.

I just love how life tries and FAILS to trick me.  I tried burning some left over stock of Verbatim DVD-R I kept for temporary backup purposes in my WH16NS60.  The first one I tried burning in this replacement drive LG sent me.  And if failed to Verify!  :o  Knowing how these things work, I tried a 2nd disc and, sure enough, it worked fine.  As did the 3rd disc I tried in the same cake stack.

It's actually kind of funny that after 45 years, life still thinks it can trick lil' ol' me. 

The Devil's always working you know! Yeah, I just had 2 experiences where initially I got duped also, on the 2nd try everything worked out! Even with VidCoder, I initially got 45-50fps using H.265 Nvenc. I then turned off hardware acceleration in MPC-HC,  and closed DVDFab which was open. I loaded up about 12  .MP4 1080p files and set them up. When I hit encode it was hitting 1100fps and 45 minutes to DTA. The results fine! So the trick I think is that when some apps are using the same source they won't use it all unless it's by itself. 

Wonder what VSO is up to? Tbh, I have very good alternatives to both of their proggies, except ConvertxtoDVD is still a go to for obvious reasons.

I bought a y/splitter for my PSU which added 4 more sata power cables, and I inserted my external drive into my mobo. Now I'm getting 900mbs transfer! Sometimes it bottlenecks to 58mbs. I don't know why.

I don't buy the idea that everything evil is the Devil's fault.  He's just the straw man in the argument.  For the sake of arguing, let's say God exists.  If he created everything, then he also created evil.  If you have absolute power to stop evil acts and don't do anything to do so, you're just as guilty of those acts.  It's the Nazi collaborator argument.  They could have done something to stop the atrocities but didn't so they're guilty of them.  It can work one way but not the other?  Those who believe in God want to have it that way, too.  That God is responsible for all the good things but wash his hands of the bad ones.

Office Depot accepted my return for a refund of the Verbatim 6x BD-R in 16x packaging.  They didn't want to at first, until they got egg on their faces.  They looked on the Office Depot web site for the item.  Take a look for yourself and check out the images associated with the item:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/692833/Verbatim-BD-R-25GB-16X-Disc/

Notice there are 2 different images of the branded surfaces for the 16x discs.  One that shows 6x and one that shows 16x!  :o  Even Office Depot can't decide what you're going to get.  :rolleyes:  And notice in the production description at the top of the page and in the URL that they're supposed to be 16x!

I'm at the point where you mostly are that I virtually believe anything they tell me these days! Nothing is off limits nowadays! That is totally crazy on their part, and totally irresponsible and nuts on verbatim part!

I thought you was going to stay with them, and I'm really glad that you didn't and decided to get your money back. It's a long way from 6 to 16 times on any kind of media!

I upgraded my driver license today because by November 2020 you're not going to be able to fly anywhere with a regular license anymore. So I had to upgrade it to an enhanced driver's license and I decided to do so today. The guy asked me if I also wanted to re-up my regular license since it was going to expire in just about two years so I decided to do that also. The only thing that I didn't figure was the price, which even though I had it, and I was able to do it, was pretty steep at $93 and some change. At least I got to change my photo, I look like a madman on the other one. LOL!

I'm doing some 10 bit MKV 1980p conversion, and I must really say, "What a difference"!

Way better quality on the picture with AC3 stereo either as 2 or 5.1.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:52 AM, dbminter said:

I don't buy the idea that everything evil is the Devil's fault.  He's just the straw man in the argument.  For the sake of arguing, let's say God exists.  If he created everything, then he also created evil.  If you have absolute power to stop evil acts and don't do anything to do so, you're just as guilty of those acts.  It's the Nazi collaborator argument.  They could have done something to stop the atrocities but didn't so they're guilty of them.  It can work one way but not the other?  Those who believe in God want to have it that way, too.  That God is responsible for all the good things but wash his hands of the bad ones.

Well the old story of who came first the chicken or the egg or like in my culture it was neither! it was the rooster who came first and then the chicken and then all the eggs followed one by one! I'm going to suggest that you read a book that I will let you know soon enough as I don't have the title with me right now but then again I do it's by Victor Thorn. Just look him up and keep an open mind because like they say sometimes he who laughs last last laughs.

Anyway I have a little PC suggestion or tip if you didn't already know it, when you go and cut and paste large files and you want them to go quickly to wherever you want them to go to, click on and cut, but don't do anything for about four seconds, let the drive work it into the the fetch or whatever it's called, and then go hit the paste wherever you want it, and it will all but almost automatically go there as it should according to the power of your drive and PC set-up. Almost instantaneously.

About the copy and paste thing.  I think what you're describing is what is known as the cache.

About the chicken and the egg thing.  I never understood why that was ever an argument.  The egg obviously couldn't have come first because 1.) what laid it?  2.) what generated it? and 3.) what sat on it to hatch it?  Plus, you'd need more than 1 egg to generate enough chickens to make more eggs.  As with the flaw in the Adam and Eve idea, no life forms ever begin with just 2 samples.  There are always multiples out there in the initial sample field.  Like the hole in Cain taking a foreign wife theory.  If Adam and Eve were the first 2 people and Cain was one of their first children, where did the foreign wife come from?

About the new drivers' licenses.  Locally, the price is set to be about $40, I think.  What's such a pain in the ass is you need such specific ID!  No laminated Social Security card.  Well, mine IS laminated so I need to pay to get a new one to begin with on that.  Then, you need your birth certificate.  My mother would know where that is as I don't, so hopefully she can find it.  Lastly, you need 2 bills that indicate you live in the state where you're applying for this ID.

This was recently posted to the VSO support forums.  It goes a bit to explaining why it's almost been a year since the last gold release of ConvertXToDVD:

" VSO has gone through financial difficulties, but "big boss" hasn't given up"

What did I say? I told you there was something going on that just wasn't right! I think they just going to try to fix it up as much as possible and then just walk away at some point. Shame because I don't see why they would have to go that route as these programs are needed. Well not for anything but there is freeware out there that is almost as good or even better than their convert video software program, though their convert to DVD has been a staple for years and is about the only thing that they can really hold on to at this point. I have maybe two more DVD converters or three actually but the VSO has been the best one so far that really doesn't give you any problems.

Maybe a divorce or something. Who knows. Thanks for the update.

Interesting.  Now Pioneer is not replying to my tech support e-mails about my replacement drive.  I don't know if that says anything.  Can't make a final judgment yet.  They may just be busy or need another e-mail prompting them in a few days.

Did you send it back already for replacement? Or you was waiting to see if they would replace it? I forgot. If they have it already, then they're just figuring it'll get done and shipped as scheduled. 

It's already been sent back to the replacement place.  They received it a week ago yesterday and Monday was the last time I heard from Pioneer when I told them they should have received the package as I was tracking it.  That person told me the replacement place would have to examine it and proceed from there.  I wrote back on Thursday asking if there may be an approximate return around time.  Haven't heard back from them.  Will try again in a few days.

Yeah they're probably fixing it.  I wonder how do those drives know what to do, with all the different manufacturers of discs, dye, etc...? They've come a long way.

They don't.  They just perform cursory evaluations to see if I did anything to void the warranty.  If there's no obvious damage, then, the company just issues a replacement.  They don't actually test what you tell them.  In fact, in my case, it would be pretty hard because it's hard to find Ritek 8x DVD+RW discs anymore.  Only a handful could I find on Amazon.com.  And that was AFTER I bought the last remaining 75 discs there!  :o  A few more cake stacks came across since then.  And the company is not going to buy 25 discs just to test 1.  Especially not Pioneer since these discs are the same ones I've told them about for 2 years now that they've borked the firmware on writing to raw discs formatted by Pioneer drives.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.