TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

DVD Video is ISO9660+UDF.  If it's created as just UDF, that's probably why it's not playing on your DVD player.  Or your player isn't fully compliant.  ImgBurn will do it as I do it all the time.  If anything isn't allowing it, it's your player.

As was said, ImgBurn on its default settings will automatically correct file system for DVD Video when you add a VIDEO_TS folder to the root directory of a build job.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, what do you know?!  There's FINALLY a gold release of a new version of ConvertXToDVD!  :w00tdance:  Only took them over a year!  :wink:

Change log of updates since last gold release, although I think some of these are actually for applications other than ConvertXToDVD:

Changes in VSO ConvertXtoDVD 7.0.0.68 (2019-10-10):

• [Bug] Preview with subtitles -> Crashing
  • [Feature Request] [VSORep] “app will be closed” warning issued during install/reinstall process
  • [Feature Request] [VSORep] error message if Internet-OFF

Changes in VSO ConvertXtoDVD 7.0.0.67 (2019-10-02):

• [Bug] Downloader doesn’t detect video on Firefox if installed on a fresh window 10 installation
  • [Bug] Secure HTTPS support doesn’t work
  • [Bug] Autodetection no longer work

Changes in VSO ConvertXtoDVD 7.0.0.66 (2019-06-24):

• [Bug] “Check for Update” not working well
  • [Bug] Video sources contained in ISO files are no longer supported
  •  [Bug] Poor quality in converted subtitles
  •  [Bug] no progression bar during conversion
  • [Bug] WMV format can’t be converted to mp4 – no video – sound only
  • [Feature Request] Add setting to space lines of subtitles

Interesting.  When you update the software, it lists this in the change log displayed by the installer:

ConvertXtoDVD 8.0.0.0
64bits version
=====================

So, it looks like the next full version of the software, 8.0, will be the first one to be in 64 bits.

Looks like new gold versions of ConvertXToHD and ConvertXToVideo were also released.

I got it! Seems fine. Really wouldn't know about the changes. I did find one difference when using their ConvertXtoVideo. The titleset name change will not carry over to the project name on single title as it does with ConvertXtoDVD7. 

About 4 coasters already with the new batch. So just maybe CMC bs!

Curious.  I did not encounter any coasters in my recent batch of MKM DataLife Plus Verbatim DVD+R DL's purchased after the sale of Verbatim to CMC.  However, as you know, I did encounter a problem with MCC DVD+R so it does seem CMC HAS changed the manufacturing processes of the media across the board.  :greedy:

I have to count it as a CMC thing because with the same drive at the same speed, I had no coasters burning to DVD+R DL with any of my drives. The PIODATA is holdin up very well btw. LG has just now got back to me and confirmed that all their recent burners are automatically bitsetting by default, and neither bitsetting apps, as DVD Decrypter,  ImgBurn, or Nero CD-DVD Speed have been able to change that behavior. So hopefully I'll be looking at the least a burner that won't do it, and is up to date with Windiws 10 64 bit.

The coasters are probably a combination of 2 things: 1.) CMC/Verbatim changed the manufacturing process of the discs  2.) this change is not liked by your current burner.  That's what happened with the LG WH16NS60.  CMC/Verbatim changed the manufacturing process of the MCC DataLife Plus DVD+R so the NS60 doesn't like them anymore.  But, the LG BU40N and Pioneer BDR-212 don't mind the change.

Could be as I used my LITEON and never had issues. Everything is fine with the new PIODATA Burner. It can be that at a certain speed it won't take all the time. DVD+R DL should be burned at 4x, even though LITEON says 6x and I forgot what LG says. Can't wait for my LG drive when they decide to swap it. They confirmed all recent drives are automatically bitsetting. 

I've gotten some contradictory results with the BDR-212 and 8x DVD+RW.  I fed it some more previously written ones and they write fine now.  Like the current behavior is SUPPOSED to be on Pioneer's latest spate of firmware.  However, my last tests with freshly formatted and written media on the LG BU40N STILL failed on the 212!  :rolleyes:  So, now, I don't know what to think.  :unsure:

I sent Pioneer another tech support e-mail, this time about how Ritek 2x BD-RE only Verify at 2.1x for most of the Verify and then speed up to normal rates near the end.  I was pretty much told to get lost!  :o

Here's the reply: "I have not heard back from the engineers regarding this issue.  It appears I am not going to have a solution to your issue.  If you like, I can offer you a refund for the drive."

Basically, they're saying they're not going to fix the issue, despite the YEARS I've spent telling them about them!  :rolleyes:  They have NO intent of fixing them, even though, in the past, they were aware of the SAME issues with the firmware starting after 1.30 and FIXED in 1.50.

I'd take them up on their refund offer if it weren't for the fact that NO ONE can do their job right!  :angry:  I can't use LG because it may be impossible to use quality Verbatim DVD on the WH16NS60.

You mean they would screw up the refund as well? I don't verify. I just put it in my DVD player make sure it takes. I put one of my previously DVD/mkv video burns in to watch and it said no disc. Must of been that I used the .iso of the video insted of the VTS folder and so it just burned it asis.

Now one thing I've noticed with ImgBurn is that it incrementally writes no matter what mode. It'll start off slow then creep to the speed specifications. I also would think that to do a thorough verify it would need to not go too fast, or slow down when the data is not as thick in certain sections of the disc? Just troubleshooting here. I know my LG would reach 24x towards the end on a write. Other software would take off and more or less stay at 24x.

If the Pioneer is working fine except for that speed bump in verify, I wouldn't bother too much. 

What I have to do is maintain 4x write with the LITEON, as 6x doesn't always take and those DVD+R DL are smaller in package for more in price. 

You forget the MAJOR bug in the Pioneer that's been in there for like 3 years now.  It doesn't properly write unformatted 8x DVD+RW.  SOMETIMES when those discs are first written in a different drive, the BDR WILL properly write to them; sometimes not.

I always Verify because it's quicker than letting my DVD play and discover the unplayable part at the end of the disc, after you've spent all that time playing everything else.  And, of course, it rarely fails to Verify at the beginning, when you can save some time.  It almost always fails towards the end to waste more time.  Just because you pop in a DVD to make sure it starts to play doesn't mean it will play EVERYTHING.  The LG WH16NS40 had an annoying trait where it would pass Verify but STILL be unplayable in certain parts because the disc had actually died!  :o  The NS60 fixed this.

Write/Verify speed rates are dependent on the drive's firmware and the read/write strategies on the medium.  For instance, most drives write 8x DVD+RW at 6x for 2 minutes before they get to 8x.  Sony's drives, though, immediately started at 8x and they were the only ones I ever saw that did that.  I never understood that, actually.  If a medium can write at Xx max, why can't it just go to that max at the beginning?  :unknown:

I can't quite tell if this is a bug in ConvertXToDVD 7.0.0.68 Final or if it's just a result of the first file I fed it since updating, but it may be a problem.

The sound level was like double what it normally should be.  Meaning, I had to turn down the volume on my TV to a much lower level that I usually have to with a ConvertXToDVD disc.  VSO is known to mess up volume levels with its updates of ConvertXToDVD in the past.  However, this was just the first file I fed it since updating, so I've only had the chance to generate 1 disc since the update.  The audio level could be a result of the file I fed it.  I'll know more with my next disc.

The burning software also has a say in how it writes. Sime software strongly suggest 4x for Dual Layer DVD no matter what the specifications of the drive or disc, and so will burn at that rate flawlessly. Power2Go starts fast and stays that way with all my burners. ImgBurn doesn't. Never did.

What did you mean by the "disc died" with the LG? 

Oh an update I didn't see at first. LG had replied that all of their drives per company policy were going to automatically bitset and so that's that. Well, at least I have a great reader! Now to find a sata cable and put it back into my PC.

By died, I meant the DVD+RW had reached the end of its write life span.  Meaning it would no longer properly write all sectors correctly.  In theory, a Verify SHOULD fail on these unreadable sectors.  Somehow, through the magic of god, these discs WILL pass Verifies, but WON'T play the bad sectors because they're not readable.  :rolleyes:

Oh, also about the BD-RE Verifying slowly.  While it can be "lived" with, e.g. the burn process and Verify complete fine, because the Verify is capped at 2.1x for most of the Verify, a BD-RE filled to its capacity would take about 40 minutes to finish Verifying!  :o  When it can be completed much quicker in other drives.  Although not the LG BU40N which is my current internal drive.  That's super slow, at, well, everything!  :lol:

That's why I want to get some working high quality Verbatim DataLife Plus DVD recordable media working with the LG WH16NS60.  While it can't write 16x Verbatim BD-R at 16x (Although LG's site rates the drive at 16x write max for BD-R!  :rolleyes:) it can properly write to 8x DVD+RW each time and it Verifies Memorex/Ritek 2x BD-RE at full Verify speeds.  So, I'd prefer to use that drive over the Pioneer BDR-212.

There's a slew of new VSO beta software released.

ConvertXtoDVD - Latest beta - 7.0.0.69

ConvertXtoHD - Latest beta - 3.0.0.71

ConvertXtoVideo - Latest beta - 2.0.0.99

DVD&Blu-ray Converter - Latest beta - 4.0.0.99

For me, the most important release is ConvertXToDVD.  Change log:

7.0.0.69 Released 2019-11-13
Yet another subtitle bug fixed
==============================================
0013736: [Bug] [VSORep] disabled emails appears on the pre-filled box
0013764: [Bug] [VSORep] closed ticket if we cannot retrieve the status
0013772: [Bug] Subtitles issue -> red subtitle with green border
0013788: [Suggestion] [HELP MENU] Change "Report a bug" to "Support Center" + icon

So, it looks like VSO won't be jumping straight to 8.0's 64 bit release as they indicated in the past, but will release an interim version.

Someone once said that you couldn't read faster than what the disc was burnt at. Is that true? I would presume no since you just mentioned reading at verify speeds. What exactly is the default speed for verification? Or is it just the read speed of the disc, burner, and software used? Thanks.

Finally the discs are burning fine with DVD video, and its mp4, mkv, counterpart.

Hope they catch up on everything they need. They have quality products.

Edited by dr_ml422

Verify rates depend on three factors: 1.) the rated fastest read speed in the firmware for a particular medium 2.) the highest rated read rate as defined by the manufacturer on the medium 3.) the highest maximum available speed as defined by the hardware.  Oh, and the software being used has some say in it.  For instance, a software may be crippled to a slower rate, despite the available fastest speed.

And, yes, you can get Verify rates much faster than the write rate.  For instance, before Pioneer blew it with the firmware, my Memorex BD-RE would write at 2x but Verify up to like 8x towards the end.

Discovered a pretty fatal bug in ConvertXToDVD that goes back at least a year.

If you import a VRO file that is made up of multiple recordings on a Panasonic DVD Video recorder, regardless of the contents running time, ConvertXToDVD only imports/converts 1 minute of contents.  I regressed from 7.0.0.68 to 64 and it does it then, too.  Even on 69 Beta.  I know VRO works because this failing VRO is just under 2 hours and I had an over 2 hour VRO that converted in 64 a few months ago.  The only difference was that VRO was one recorded stream, whereas this failing VRO is made up of 4 separate recordings.

I submitted both a bug report and on the VSO forums.

Actually, turns out the problem was with that particular .VRO as I cannot recreate the issue by creating new multiple stream recorded VRO.  So, the entire problematic4 GB VRO must be sent to VSO for analysis.  I've already submitted another bug report with the files attached, but because of its size, it's awaiting pending approval for sending to VSO.

Got an Amazon.com order just shipped today of some new Verbatim DataLife Plus inkjet printable MCC DVD-R's.  I'll swap in the WH16NS60 for testing these DVD-R's and see if they work.  If they do, then, the BDR-212 goes out of cycle and the NS60 is cycled back in as my primary use device.

My DVD-R's should arrive tomorrow.

New ConvertXToDVD gold version released!

- 0013736: [Bug] [VSORep] disabled emails appears on the pre-filled box
- 0013764: [Bug] [VSORep] closed ticket if we cannot retrieve the status
- 0013772: [Bug] Subtitles issue -> red subtitle with green border
- 0013788: [Suggestion] [HELP MENU] Change "Report a bug" to "Support Center" + icon

Got and tested my DVD-R's.  The good news is the WH16NS60 STILL likes those.  :w00t:  At least the ones I got for now, but who knows if they're still quality MCC or if CMC made them. :angry:  So, I can swap in my NS60 for the BDR-212 again.  :w00tdance:

The bad news: now, I've got a serious bug that is not behaving to any logical behavioral pattern.  After 45 to 60 minutes of being logged in, Explorer.exe/the Start menu "crash."  Nothing runs and Windows cannot be restarted, forcing a power off.  When Windows starts on ALL subsequent attempts, Explorer.exe/the Start menu "crash," rendering the system useless.

What is so problematic is it does this on Windows 10 1909 images where it wasn't before.  On two different 1909's.  And on 1903 as well.  The only image it's not doing on is the factory default image: Windows 10 1809.  So, I may have to end up reinstalling everything!  :rolleyes:  At least, though, doing that may be able to isolate the problem and I can fix my regular image installations.  So far, I've upped 1809 to 1909 without an apparent manifestation of the problem.

What's so annoying is the ONLY way to test this is after each debugging step to do NOTHING for an hour to see if it happens!  :o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.