TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

There seems to be a bug with the reply as I've been sent to editor numerous times when hitting submit reply. 

Are those Datalifeplus blanks the matted ones or the shiny white ones? 

I haven't had any issues with any Windows updates, and actually it has really sped up the search in Windows Explorer. Check and make sure it's not an .exe or anything else that may be causing that crash. How would you know anyhow? Will Windows give you an error report?

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're neither matted or shiny.  They're inkjet printable.

As for the board behavior, it's just the server acting up, most likely.  Give it a few hours/a day, and it should resolve.  I had no problem posting this just now.

It's a hardware issue.  It can't be software related because it's happened on 2 1909 images that were working fine, on my 1903 that was working fine, and on my 1809 factory default installation which was working fine.  It only happens when ANY external USB hard drive is connected.  Regardless of what drive, what USB port, what USB cable, and what power supply, it happens.  It didn't do this until the 21st, so, since it happened out of the clear blue, judging from all the other :horse:I've been debugging with dozens of restores and testing combinations, it's a hardware error inside the PC.  I disconnected ALL peripherals, except a mouse, keyboard, and external HD's.  I connected different mice and keyboards via different means, from wireless to wired on different ports, so it's not those peripherals.  When Explorer.exe/the Start menu crash, turning off the connected USB HDD and restarting makes the problem go away.  Reconnect the device, and Explorer.exe/the Start menu crash.

Since it happens regardless of the drive I connected, it's not one particular drive.  It's not the particular USB port because I tried two on the back and one on the front.  Since it happens on 2 different USB HDD's, both from WD but different models and capacities, it has to be a hardware error inside the PC.  Either the motherboard, the RAM, the CPU, or the USB controller.  Can't be the ports because regardless of port, regardless of whether they're front or back, it occurs.

I've exhausted everything I can do at this point.  After 3 days of testing, it will have to go to Best Buy for them to examine... who won't find anything wrong!  :angry:  I've been down this road before.  It's a god problem.  After jumping through hoops, spending money, there's no logical reason and no fix.  God problems have no fixes.  Beyond what Best Buy can do, which is nothing, I'll have to get another PC.  Just a cheap one, though, as I'm still paying off one the I got in 2018!  :rolleyes:

Try to go into the bios and if possible update your mobo. Also see if there's any settings you can configure while you're in Bios. Sometimes, even if you have a plug n play OS, you might need to configure something manually.  You can also go inyo Device Manager and click on Edit, find new hardware, and see if it'll add the drives even tg though they're acknowledged. 

Sounds as if it might be a Bios update issue. Just trying to cover all bases.

It's not a BIOS issue.  BIOS settings just don't change themselves and I haven't updated the BIOS in months.  Otherwise, I'd have have suspected a borked BIOS. 

It's not a Device Manager issue as even restoring all images where Windows was working fine before it does this.  It doesn't do this unless a USB HDD is plugged in and contents are accessed from it.  All images were working fine until the 21st.  Regardless of device, when 2 working ones I had before, one for over a year, do this.

So, the problem has to be an internal hardware error.  After explaining the issue to the shop I went in and detailed my 3 days of debugging, he agrees with me it's either the mobo, the RAM, the CPU, or the BIOS controller on the mobo.  I forgot to run MemTest86 and did so last night.  No problems there so it's most likely not the RAM.  If the mobo needs to be replaced, might as well get a whole new PC.  Replacing the mobo might void my Windows license.

What I meant about the Bios is that because of the Windows update maybe you need to update the Bios? I had to so it was up to date with everything. 

I think Microsoft finally made it possible to update/upgrade the mobo without losing the license I read somewhere  Di a search and see.

I noticed ConvertXToDVD 7.0.0.68 doesn't ooen up explorer anymore after a completed job? At least mine doesn't. I sent them a email regarding this. Have you noticed that yourself?

It's not a BIOS problem.  Besides, there isn't a new BIOS update.  I updated Windows 10 1903 to 1909 twice just fine for 2 weeks with no problem.  It's not a BIOS issue.

VSO basically said my VRO problem wasn't something they cared about right now.  They said they're too busy doing the 64 bit version to worry about my piddling problem.  I did more tests and Wondershare Filmora processes the VRO just fine, so it's a CXD issue.

I think I sussed the problem out by attaching the USB HDD in question to an older PC running an older Windows 10 version.  I got a new error this time, but this error was more indicative of what was probably going on.  It appears to be NEITHER a hardware or a software issue!  :o  It appears a partition on the drive had been turned entirely read only somehow.  When connecting that drive to my old PC, I couldn't open anything for editing.  I couldn't even create new files in the root directory of the partition.  That partition had one thing in common in all tests: contents were being accessed from it.

My Desktop folder and my Waterfox web browser profile folder were on that partition.  Desktop gets accessed every time Windows starts.  On the 1809 image restore, the problem only appeared when Waterfox accessed its contents, creating corrupted contents where Waterfox wouldn't even load.

So, I restored the partition image made back when it was working and the contents were no longer in read only mode.

Now, WHY Windows WOULD work for 45 to 60 minutes BEFORE crashing if the contents were read only makes no sense.  Should have happened immediately.  WHY connecting the other working HDD did the same thing makes no sense either.

I won't know if this fixes the issue until I get the PC back from the shop to test it.  Plus, it doesn't explain WHAT set the entire partition read only.  And, frankly, HOW.  It could STILL be a hardware issue in my live PC that is causing this.  Or could be a hardware error in the USB HDD.  What also isn't explained is why Windows would lock up on subsequent restarts, even with the drive disconnected.

Yes apparently when I upgraded to 7.0.0 .68 didn't want to open the Explorer window with the output file. Then they sent me the link to the newest supposedly stable version though my year was up and I didn't know that it wouldn't write to more than 300 megabytes of the file or it won't even process more than 300 megabytes of a new DVD unless you have the full version registered. So I had to inadvertently re-up my year and then everything went well so far. The only problem I'm having now is I noticed I'm getting different output file sizes converting to MKV with the same DVD VTS folder? Why would one output file be 600 megabytes larger than another one is far from my expertise right now. Though that is almost a gig more if you want to make it a little bit more specific. That's with another program. Also dvdfab right now is out putting my subtitles in green lettering and they don't get off the processing towards the end it just keeps on going on and on and on. I've had my ups and downs with Fab over the years as I think they just try to do too much and they never really get nothing too stable going for too much of a long time. I resorted to the old goodies for most of my DVDs as the powers-that-be don't even bother with DVD protection anymore that much. What's so irritating is that the new procedure for a lot of these companies they want you to send them a screenshot of what you doing like you don't know,  we don't know what we doing you know I mean. Believe me I've given them my peace of mind regarding that issue. So I'm going to send them the screenshot not only that I'm going to tell them to send me their FTP server password so I can send them the file. These guys are funny when it comes to converting DVD to other formats they'll put out a new program but they will not include DVD in it. They want you to buy another program so you can convert your DVD specifically to that output file. In other words you can convert any other file to any other file but if it's a DVD to begin with they want you to buy a program that you could convert that DVD to any other file. Funny and definitely a coincidence that the new update for VSO ConvertXToDVD came at the end of my eligibility. I thought this through and definitely a coincidence because I'm not the only one that needed an update at that particular time.

Windows new security policies automatically change almost anything new or unfamiliar to read only. Like you said though why wait to lock down everything? I had to go into many apps and give them full access as Windows prevented me from writing/editing as well. Especially with the decrypting, encoding, writing apps. One of my drives is an old clone and so it behaves more as a OS than a storage drive. When I take the time out to figure Mini Partition Wizard maybe I'll change it. I'm used to Acronis and I think their WD version is no longer available . It's a free Acronis True version for WD owners.

When I bought my CXD license, I got the lifetime version.  Don't know if they still offer that anymore.  Why offer that when they can make you pay infinitely?  :greedy:

I used to use Partition Wizard but the last time I tried a resize operation, all it did was hide the partition and didn't do anything else.  Stayed at 0%.  Tried to get tech support to help, but I knew, from looking at the log, they'd find nothing wrong because nothing was being done.  And, of course, they couldn't help.  :rolleyes:  So, I switched to AEOMI Partition Assistant.  It has its own bugs, but they're not nearly as fatal.  And their tech support stinks, too.  They keep asking me to describe the SAME thing over and over again!  :angry:

Yes, free versions of True Image used to come with my My Books.  I never used it because True Image kept borking the recovery media.  It would recognize external source devices for recovery images, but it would then FORGET they were there... but only after, conveniently, DELETING the target partition for restore!  :o  So, from chevr0n's suggestion, I tried and switched over to Macrium Reflect.

There's no way around it.  My PC's still not working right and the tech guys find nothing wrong.  I connected this USB HDD to my old PC and it doesn't do what it does on my newest PC.  Any time any contents are accessed from this drive in any way, Windows locks up fatally after an hour and won't restart, ever.  It's not the USB HDD because it works fine on my old PC.  So, there's no way around it.  The problem is with this PC that's only a year and a half old.  Well, Dell goes on my :horse: list now.

Also on my :horse: list is Pioneer.  Now the BDR-212 won't write to BD-R!  :angry:  It ALWAYS returns Medium Corrupted when trying to write to them now!  :o  Before, I'd get that error and just retry the burn and it would work.  I put the SAME disc the 212 returns the Medium Corrupted error on in my LG WH16NS60 and it burns fine.  I will see if I can still take up Pioneer on that refund offer.

Yes I saw your post just now at VSO. Just try to upload that VRO File using that new tool Maggie posted and see what happens.

Whatever is happening with that drive is certainly more probable a security issue. Have you went into the whole drive and given full security control to yourself etc... so that the drive can be accessed? You just said it's that drive so it's not your PC. What do you have on that drive anyway? Can you just delete everything and start from scratch?

I've never had an issue with Acronis, though I only used their Cloning function to make an exact clone and bootable drive after my primary. Mini Partition Wizard is too convoluted with all their colors etc... and the only thing I ever did with them was partition my Cellphone SD card. I think I used Macrium a very long time ago and it didn't take. I don't know how far they have come as of today.

There's not too much help over at VSO, so that's why things don't get tackled right away. That 7.0.0.69 is a Beta and not a Gold release.

It's NOT a security issue!  It happens on 2 different drives that were working fine before.  It doesn't do this on my old PC.  So, the problem is with the PC.

It's not solved by deleting everything and start from scratch.  Tried that.

7.0.0.69 is the last Gold release of CXD.

And I spent all afternoon into the evening in the emergency room with apparent stomach flu.  Really hit me first hard yesterday, but today, my first attempt to eat something, caused uncontrollable shaking.  Last thing I need right now.

They changed 7.0.0.69 back to a Beta. It's on the forum that way. There seems to be no menu functionality when playing the DVD on your PC with whatever player. It justs plays Audio with the Menu going through all the chapters. To start viewing you need to fast forward until it starts. I posted this already and they agreed. A new update is coming to ffmpeg, and so VSO also will be updated, though I think this is more of a ConvertXToDVD issue.

Can you call Dell and see what they can do? I always bought Dell, and they were just fine with service calls. No matter what anyone says, or tells you, Dell is a very good computer. You have Acer, HP, IBM, Lenovo. Then Apple. By today's standards you do have a good for the road rig. Honestly about 6 cores and up, and at least 16-32 Gigabytes ram is today an everyday solid build. I browse, download, encode, and even burn at once sometimes like a baby. I loaded up with 32GB Ram. I'm going to add 2 solid state drives as I just noticed there's room for them. I have one NVme ssd and room for another, though only one at a time will be available. I only have 4 sata ports. I forgot it was a Micro ATX board. 

Maybe it's not such a bad thing with the drive issue. Figure out your best fix, and if it's possible just start looking to upgrade. My last PC was basically new user wise. With Windows 10 it became almost passable after I got rid of the burners. Two almost new burners! An Asus and a Samsung, or Pioneer and Samsung. Hence this post.

Did you hear the rumors about an anniversary updated XP OS by Microsoft? I would hop on that in a second. 

Edited by dr_ml422
Misspell

It's half a year past its warranty under Dell.  Plus, to replicate the issue, I'd have to send in one of my USB HDD's along with it, which means sending in my live data, which is too important.  Plus, it would have be configured to load the Desktop folder from F:\.

Well check this out, my hard drive doesn't show up at all anymore, and that's where most of my videos are. It just happened today when I went to turn on my PC. I'm going to see if it's a loose cable, if not about 300 movies are gone.

I'll post back with the results. 

I am still suffering with whatever it is I have, though I doubt it's stomach flu anymore, unless stomach flu lasts more than 7 days.  I still need to perform one last test to rule out it's not the new USB HDD, but I can't do it until I get enough strength to be able to lift the one out of place and put an old one in.  Then, restore known good images of Windows 10 1909 and live data partition on the old device, start Windows, and wait an hour.

Also, last things I needed right now to happen all at the same time:

1.) needing a new PC

2.) 2 ER visits

3.) 2 primary care physician visits

4.) my waterbed sprung a leak

5.) one of the few Christmas gifts to me under the tree this year that isn't To me From me arrived from a friend from Amazon.com damaged!  It was an 11 disc DVD set where 6 of them were packaged out of order and one was disconnected from its peg, floating around inside the packaging, getting scratched beyond play.

Well, I summoned up the blood and just worked through the fatigue to swap out the latest USB HDD for the one that used to work, restored Windows 10 1909 back to when it used to work, restored the live data partition back when it used to work, booted into Windows, did nothing else, and waited for 60 minutes.  On cue, the Start menu wouldn't open!  So, it's a problem with the PC.  Not a BIOS issue!  Not a security issue!  Not a software issue!  Funny enough, a BIOS update had been released since this all began.  I applied that, knowing full well it wouldn't address the problem, and it didn't.

So, there's no escaping it.  I have to get a 2nd new PC is under 2 years!

Do you buy prebuilt systems or custom builds from parts. Cause if the latter I could put something together if you mention a budget. Note: I only have experience with Intel systems in that case. Can't help with prebuilt, I hate those

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I don't really care if they're prebuilt or custom rigs.  I just want shit that works.  I've already got somebody else out there who might customize a rig for me.  Or I may go with the guy I took my PC in for diagnostics.  He did the entire diagnostics for free, so I kind of feel bad that he didn't find anything, putting him through all that time and trouble.  He also sells rigs.

Ok so after a full shut down and startup and checking my bios, everything went back to normal. All hdds were acknowledged.  I'm also restoring all my .iso to VTS folders as when burning together with their mkv, mp4 counterpart, the .iso will not play, but the VTS folder will. .iso is great for a lot of things as everything stays asis, though not for this function.

I already posted my custom build here and it's future proof for a long time. So if you want you can go with that and just put a larger ATX mobo in as mine is a Micro ATX, though it'll just give you maybe 2-4 more sata ports. I'm an AMD guy so no Intel. 

As for that virus I had it. It's weird. You must get a z-pack because on your own you might not beat it. Lack of appetite, sometimes sweat like hell, no coughing in my case. In the end the doctor saw mild strep throat.

Easy does it with the build. Scour the internet for symptoms like yours. Wouldn't a new install fresh take? You have the option now to do that. It'll put everything back in a new fresh install. Free.

A fresh install won't do any good!  I restored down the factory default partition and it still does this, so reinstalling everything won't fix this!  My problems aren't as easy fixes as others.  I'm constantly on the assault.  There are no unique symptoms like mine!  My situation is so custom no one else is going to encounter it!  And I swapped in an old PC, recreated the same situation, and it didn't do it!  So, the problem is this latest PC.

So just try to explain to Dell that something odd started after the warranty period, and if they can help you out at the lowest possible rate.

What specifically is your problem? All of a sudden your PC won't start/restart? Is this happening with every external drive/usb enclosure, or just one? If your PC was working just fine and now it isn't, then something new has to be the culprit. Just use whatever sata ports you have available on the mobo, and transfer everything to new drives. Do a brand new fresh install with only those new drives and let the newest Windows 10 acknowledge them. Then proceed from there. If whatever still persists then it's your mobo. Ask Dell to give you a deal in a new mobo. Something is causing whatever you have. Whenever I have a problem, I eliminate the obvious. After that if it still persists I'll see if I missed eliminating something. If it's a material issue it'll be found. If it's a personal issue it's me then. I have to change. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.