Endless synchronising cache

Dumdidum

Hello there,

i'm stuck in an endless loop with synchronising cache and it's not the first time. But it happens only one time in many successful write operations. Now i want to go into it and get the reason.

After a little searching the web, i found this topic http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/1930-problem-after-burn/ from 2006. There's a hint about activating the logs using F8. I did so, and now i get these repeating messages:

I 10:54:56 [0:0:0] TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506BB TS00 (E:) (USB)
I 10:54:56 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00
I 10:54:56 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready
E 10:54:56 SENSE: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 08 00 00 00 00
E 10:54:56 SENSE SK Interpretation: Not Ready
E 10:54:56 SENSE ASC/ASCQ Interpretation: Logical Unit not ready, Long Write in progress

Screenshot:
Zwischenablage02.png.5e2541252dabbcc57cf087b490a5b480.png

The point is, the "logical unit" - i assume my burning drive - seems to be available for me, as it is constantly blinking from interaction. In the past i always canceled the operation forcefully - mostly without trashing the disc. But it bugs me, what is the reason behind this? Why does this happen?

My system:
ImgBurn: 2.5.8.0
Drive: Samsung SE-506AB/TSWD
Disc: Verbatim 4.7GB 16x DVD-R

Edited by Dumdidum

How long did you wait for the synchronizing cache operation to complete?  Depending on the drive, media, and image, it can take anywhere between 15 to 20 minutes to complete.  If you haven't, try waiting for half an hour the next time this seems to happen.  If it hasn't completed by then, then something is up.

The stuff you're seeing in the log is what the drive is returning to the program.

So the program asks it 'Are you ready yet?' and it's responding with, 'No, there's a long write operation in progress'.

Whatever the issue is, it's internal to your drive/firmware/media combo.

If you've left it long enough (10 mins or whatever), turn the drive off and on again (unplug and plug in again). Hopefully the drive will have done enough to make the disc readable in various devices.

Ok, now i'm able to respond :D thx Admin!

I cannot tell for sure, how long i waited until canceling, but it must be around 20-30 minutes. I used to cancel the process by long-pressing the eject-button of the disc-drive. It stops the currently running operation and throws the disc out - the burning process stops. After that i reinsert the disc and everything seems to be alright. Might be corrupted for some devices, but all the ones I own are okay with it.

Do you have an idea, what might cause the drive to do so? Are there any known reasons for this behaviour?

There's also another issue that might be interessting in this case. Sometimes the burning process takes really long. At about 50% of the burning process, the writing speed slows down extremely - like 6kb per seconds - and proceeds this write speed for a couple percent of the data. And then suddenly - might be at 55% for example - the speed increases up back to normal and finishes the process succesfully.

Edited by Dumdidum
typo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.