MagCore.dll missing error when trying to load FLAC

mike_p

I have burned numerous FLAC files in the past but I have some that cause the following error:

ActiveMovie Window: Imgburn.exe - System Error

The program can't start because MagCore.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I believe ActiveMovie is a predecessor to DirectShow but I don't understand why this error is suddenly cropping up as I have made no system changes since the last time I burned FLAC files.

Also, they play okay with VLC.

Any ideas?

MediaInfo:

General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\...
Format                                   : FLAC
Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec
File size                                : 162 MiB
Duration                                 : 7 min 25 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 3 043 kb/s
Album                                    : ...
Album/Performer                          :...
Part                                     : 1
Part/Total                               : 1
Track name                               : ...
Track name/Position                      : 1
Track name/Total                         : 10
Performer                                : ...
Genre                                    : Rock
Recorded date                            : 1969
Cover                                    : Yes
Cover type                               : Cover (front)
Cover MIME                               : image/jpeg
Comment                                  : ...

Audio
Format                                   : FLAC
Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Duration                                 : 7 min 25 s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 3 029 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 96.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Stream size                              : 161 MiB (100%)
Writing library                          : libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)

Edited by mike_p

Okay, the error message changed:

ImgBurn:

ConnectFilters(Source, Sample Grabber) Failed!

File Name: <...>.flac

Reason: No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection.

Hint: You may need to install some additional DirectShow filters in order to support files of this type or the file might be corrupt.

What are my next steps?

And this message came up after you reinstalled madFLAC?  That kind of message generally means you don't have the necessary filters installed to handle the file type.  It may not actually be a FLAC or an incorrectly formatted FLAC.  You may want to try installing an audio conversion software, load the FLAC, and save it as another FLAC.  I used to come across MP3's that did the same thing and this was the only fix.  Or converting the MP3's to FLAC.  Since you already have FLAC, you should try converting it to another FLAC.

So I used eac3to334 to write the flac to another flac (the file got a little smaller) but the error message was the same.

And I just tried some older flac/cue files and they still load up okay.

So I guess there are multiple versions of flac? Or flac is just a container like mkv?

Why do some flac work fine and others do not?

Can you folks give me some idea as to why different flac are handled differently?

The answer is most likely the FLAC file that is failing to load is not a FLAC file.  It's not formatted properly.  Try saving it as another file type, like Apple Lossless Codec M4A, with an audio file converter.  Also, have you played the entire FLAC?  Maybe it's corrupt at some point in playback.

So far -- I can recode a FLAC to another FLAC with eac3to but I get an error when I try to write out M4A or AC3: both abort at file position 1048576. What's more, I've tried a few of the FLAC files and they all abort at the same file position.

The file position 1048576 is 10.0000 hex, which is very interesting. Random corruption COULD hit a nice binary boundary in one file but it not likely to hit the same boundary in multiple files. This seems like a software issue by the file writer.

Anyone seen this before or can recommend a workaround?

Edited by mike_p

There's probably little you can do.  Just try converting to other lossless formats like WAV lossless and see if that gets you anywhere.  However, most likely, the FLAC is corrupt.  Because it got converted once doesn't really mean anything, probably.  The converter you previously used to write a FLAC probably didn't do any actual converting.  It just copied the file to the new file name location with a .FLAC extension.  Since you're getting errors on actually converting the file from one audio file format type to another, the FLAC is most likely corrupt.  That's probably why ImgBurn failed to import it even with madFLAC installed.  It's not a properly formatted file.

You could try conversion to loss formats, but you'll lose some audio quality.  However, it may be all you can do to get a workaround.

Well, since eac3to couldn't convert to ac3, I think my only option is vlc media player in streaming mode... That sucks!

Also, did you see my comment that the eac3to conversion aborted on multiple files at the same binary address (10.0000h)?

Edited by mike_p

When I create a cue file ImgBurn uses the LAV filters I have installed.

I have the LAV filters set to show in the system tray when they are in use.

mike_p do you have LAV filters installed ?

The ImgBurn log doesn't show any information about the cue file creation.

I would like to know if there is a way to see if directshow filters are also being used.

Define multiple files.  Multiple extensions?  All from the same source/CD/download?  If they were all made by the same application, they could all have the same corruption at the same point.  I've never heard of eac3 so I've never used it.  I don't know it's limitations/quirks/fitness for use.

cholla: yes, I have LAV filters installed. Also, I have other FLAC files that load and burn correctly so the issue is these FLAC files in particular.

dbminter: Multiple FLACs from the same source but different CDs. I don't know when they were exported or what app was used, but since it was an anthology, I suspect they were all written at the same time by the same app.

According to MediaInfo, the writing library was libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17) but garbage in, garbage out as they say.

The eac3to app is pretty awesome and accepts and converts multiple audio and video formats. It has never failed me. And its free.

Edited by mike_p

Do the LAV filters show in your system tray when you add one of these FLAC files to the ImgBurn cue ?

Or does it even get that far?

I looked up MagCore.dll & this is what I found:

What is magcore.dll doing on my computer?

MagCore.dll is a file used by the "ArcSoft" suite of programs, which are mainly video & audio editing tools. Despite this file playing a vital role in the smooth operation of various pieces of ArcSoft software, it's a common problem for it to either be damaged, corrupted or unreadable - leading to numerous errors appearing on your system. To resolve this problem, you should look to fix any of the errors that can show problems on your PC, inclng repairing the file itself and any registry errors which your system may have causing the error.

MagCore.dll errors will often show in this format:

• "The file magcore.dll missing"
  • MagCore.dll cannot be found

Typical causes of these errors will be down to the likes of the magcore.dll file being damaged, missing or unreadable; as well as your computer not having the correct settings to read it properly. If you are still seeing the errors you have, then it's vital you are able to repair the problems that are likely leading to the messages you're seeing on screen. The way to do this is to first reinstall any ArcSoft programs on your PC, and then use a registry cleaner program to fix any of the errors inside your system itself.

Reinstalling any ArcSoft programs on your computer should be the first thing to try. This can be done by clicking onto "Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs" and then remove the software which is causing the error. After the uninstaller has removed the application, restart your PC and then you should try and install the program again. This will refresh all the files & settings the application uses, preventing the error from loading back up in future.

Non-system processes like magcore.dll originate from software you installed on your system. Since most applications store data on your hard disk and in your system's registry, it is likely that your computer has suffered fragmentation and accumulated invalid entries which can affect your PC's performance. 

In Windows Task Manager, you can see what CPU, memory, disk and network utilization is causing the MagCore process. To access the Task Manager, hold down the Ctrl + Shift + Esckeys at the same time. These three buttons are located on the far left of your keyboard.

LIGHTNING UK!

Is there a way to tell what filters ImgBurn is using ?

As best as I can tell ImgBurn is using LAV filters on my OS.

I would like to know if it is using other filters.

I just tested a 24 bit FLAC file in ImgBurn cue & it analyzed with no problem.

I don't have madflac on my OS.

Edited by cholla

cholla: other FLAC files are handled without problem. It is just these FLAC files that cause the problem. That seems to point to file corruption issues rather that filter issues. Also, the fact that eac3to (which doesn't use LAV filters) aborted at the exact same position on multiple files and at a nice binary position (10.0000h) suggests that the files are not corrupt per se, but that there was an issue with the file writing (or that there is a compatibility issue.)

Edited by mike_p

8 minutes ago, cholla said:

LIGHTNING UK!

Is there a way to tell what filters ImgBurn is using ?

As best as I can tell ImgBurn is using LAV filters on my OS.

I would like to know if it is using other filters.

I just tested a 24 bit FLAC file in ImgBurn cue & it analyzed with no problem.

I don't have madflac on my OS.

Yes, once you've added your file to the 'Create CUE' window, right click its entry within the list and pick the 'Display DirectShow Filter List' option.

I agree that there is no way to send without violating copyright laws.

If you decide that isn't too important Google drive & DropBox work for this.

Since it is a corrupt file likely it doesn't violate copyright technically.

Being that it isn't a copy of the copyrighted file.

I have eac3to somewhere.It isn't installed . I'm looking on an external hard drive for it.

@ LIGHTNING UK!

This is what the 24 bit FLAC file shows:

Directshow.PNG

Edited by cholla

So, I just D/Led and ran an app ListDlls and madFlac.dll did not show up... This implies that madFlac.dll did not install. Yet the behavior of imgBurn changed after I ran the install... Also, other FLAC files parse and burn just fine.

How do I confirm that madFlac.dll actually got installed properly (there was a Windows pop-up warning that the install might have failed due to compatibility issues...) but since the behavior of imgBurn changed, I assumed that the install was successful.

I'm running Win7Pro.

I spoke too soon. When I convert 24-bit FLAC to 16-bit FLAC, imgBurn is happy.

When I convert 24-bit FLAC to 24-bit FLAC (and file size changes so its not just a file copy), imgBurn fails to load the file.

So it appears to be a limitation with madFlac after all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.