My first Linux experience

JasonFriday13

I downloaded the Ubuntu 6.10 iso on wednesday and thursday. It is a live cd, so I can test it out without harming my system. First I tried burning it to my cd-rw, but that wasted an hour and a half because of verify errors. So, I just burned it to a DVD+RW, it took just five minutes to write and verify (CD-RW took 35 minutes just to burn), booted it, and it worked just fine. Earlier this afternoon, I managed to access the internet using the college network in Ubuntu. My network teacher said that a linux computer can't talk to a windows network, boy is he wrong. Firefox comes with it, so I had to use that to browse the internet. Had to put in the colleges proxy name and port, then tried to browse. It came up with a familiar 'Proxy firewall. Please enter username and password:', which I did. And it worked! I was browsing the net in no time. The only bad thing is the display drivers weren't accelerated, so when moving a window, it would take a half a second to redraw it. What a pain that was for scrolling down web pages. The good thing about ubuntu is that it has apps I know about and sometimes use, such as Firefox, audacity (not included in distro), openoffice.org, and the GIMP. So, I might use Linux for music and other little things, and use windows for my programming and gaming. Sounds like a good review to me.

Oh, and I am also going to try Kubuntu as well, its downloading now. Isin't download resuming awesome? I used Free Download Manager to download. Start the download, when its time to download, stop the download, take machine home. Next day, Take my system back to college, start windows, start Free Download Manager, and click 'start download', and it picks up where it left off. The best feature ever.

I downloaded the Ubuntu 6.10 iso on wednesday and thursday. It is a live cd, so I can test it out without harming my system. First I tried burning it to my cd-rw, but that wasted an hour and a half because of verify errors. So, I just burned it to a DVD+RW, it took just five minutes to write and verify (CD-RW took 35 minutes just to burn), booted it, and it worked just fine. Earlier this afternoon, I managed to access the internet using the college network in Ubuntu. My network teacher said that a linux computer can't talk to a windows network, boy is he wrong. Firefox comes with it, so I had to use that to browse the internet. Had to put in the colleges proxy name and port, then tried to browse. It came up with a familiar 'Proxy firewall. Please enter username and password:', which I did. And it worked! I was browsing the net in no time. The only bad thing is the display drivers weren't accelerated, so when moving a window, it would take a half a second to redraw it. What a pain that was for scrolling down web pages. The good thing about ubuntu is that it has apps I know about and sometimes use, such as Firefox, audacity (not included in distro), openoffice.org, and the GIMP. So, I might use Linux for music and other little things, and use windows for my programming and gaming. Sounds like a good review to me.

Oh, and I am also going to try Kubuntu as well, its downloading now. Isin't download resuming awesome? I used Free Download Manager to download. Start the download, when its time to download, stop the download, take machine home. Next day, Take my system back to college, start windows, start Free Download Manager, and click 'start download', and it picks up where it left off. The best feature ever.

<linux rant on>

I love linux. Although, after playing with it (linux, that is) for a couple of years now I'm still very much a learner. Secondly, your teacher is an idiot. Half of the internet runs on linux servers. Contrary to popular belief, the world doesn't revolve around Windows. Nor does Windows have anything to do with IP addressing, subnets and all that other geeky gobbledegook. It may provide or host such things but Windows must use the same TCP/IP protocols that were standardised in the late 60s/early 70s as everyone else. It has to adhere to standards that were dreamt up long before Windows was even thought of.

I use Mandriva linux on a PC here and have a thingy called SMB4k running on it which allows for easy networking to shared Windows drives. The operating systems may be different but the protocols they use to talk to each other must, obviously, be the same.

<linux rant off>

Yes, when I had posted this thread, I relized that lots of servers on the internet are linux based, and I am currently using Linux with firefox to browse the net and reply to topics in the forum like this one. And yeah, I might have to remove the signature picture, since I got a complaint.

Those sig things were first seen here in the old DVDD forum days and quite a few of us had them - I had one for a while myself :)

Thing is some people got nervous about them and didn't understand that only you at your PC can see your information. After a few panicky posts most if not all of us removed them :wink:

I have not tried running Ubuntu as of yet, but I did burn a CD at 6 x and it went rather quickly first time no errors.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 - Log

; Tuesday, 07 November 2006, 23:47:26

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 23:33:38 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!

I 23:33:38 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 5600)

I 23:33:39 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:33:39 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:33:39 Found 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD?RW/RAM!

I 23:33:59 Operation Started!

I 23:33:59 Source File: F:\Users\yyy\Desktop\ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386.iso

I 23:33:59 Source File Sectors: 357,586 (MODE1/2048)

I 23:33:59 Source File Size: 732,336,128 bytes

I 23:33:59 Source File Volume Identifier: Ubuntu 6.06.1 i3

I 23:33:59 Source File Application Identifier: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR ? 1993 E.YOUNGDALE ? 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING

I 23:33:59 Source File File System(s): ISO9660 (Bootable), Joliet

I 23:33:59 Destination Device: [1:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HS0E (D:) (ATA)

I 23:33:59 Destination Media Type: CD-R

I 23:33:59 Destination Media Sectors: 359,847

I 23:33:59 Write Mode: CD

I 23:33:59 Write Type: SAO

I 23:33:59 Write Speed: 6x

I 23:33:59 Test Mode: No

I 23:33:59 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 23:33:59 Filling Buffer...

I 23:34:04 Writing LeadIn...

I 23:34:36 Writing Image...

I 23:44:31 Synchronising Cache...

I 23:44:43 Image MD5: fb3af44c21f1f68cc25fda7edb8c1bd3

I 23:44:43 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:10:43

I 23:44:43 Average Write Rate: 1,203 KB/s (8.0x) - Maximum Write Rate: 1,230 KB/s (8.2x)

I 23:44:43 Cycling Tray before Verify...

W 23:44:49 Waiting for device to become ready...

I 23:45:01 Device Ready!

I 23:45:02 Operation Started!

I 23:45:02 Source Device: [1:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HS0E (D:) (ATA)

I 23:45:02 Source Media Type: CD-R

I 23:45:02 Image File: F:\Users\yyy\Desktop\ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386.iso

I 23:45:02 Image File Sectors: 357,586 (MODE1/2048)

I 23:45:02 Image File Size: 732,336,128 bytes

I 23:45:02 Image File Volume Identifier: Ubuntu 6.06.1 i3

I 23:45:02 Image File Application Identifier: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR ? 1993 E.YOUNGDALE ? 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING

I 23:45:02 Image File File System(s): ISO9660 (Bootable), Joliet

I 23:45:02 Verifying Sectors...

I 23:47:18 Device MD5: fb3af44c21f1f68cc25fda7edb8c1bd3

I 23:47:19 Image MD5: fb3af44c21f1f68cc25fda7edb8c1bd3

I 23:47:19 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:02:16

I 23:47:19 Average Verify Rate: 5,258 KB/s (35.1x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 7,487 KB/s (49.9x)

I 23:47:25 Close Request Acknowledged

I 23:47:25 Closing Down...

I 23:47:26 Shutting down SPTI...

I 23:47:26 ImgBurn closed!

Edited by random

Can I suggest that you try 6.10 "edgy"? It loads quicker, new splash screen, most of the latest apps, support for multiple desktop environments, etc... (don't want to get carried away). I used a DVD+RW for installing (mostly because I have more of those lying around than CD-RW).

Can I suggest that you try 6.10 "edgy"? It loads quicker, new splash screen, most of the latest apps, support for multiple desktop environments, etc... (don't want to get carried away). I used a DVD+RW for installing (mostly because I have more of those lying around than CD-RW).

I think I may take a look at Kubuntu, if I can find time. I remember a few years back I have Mandrake 8.1, never could get the win drivers recognized, ah back in the dial up years.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old (old!) topic, but I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my machine :). I am using GAG to dual boot my machine. I just installed Wine tonight and after some basic learning of using Wine, I launched the installer from the terminal, and installed ImgBurn :). I had to change the interface to ASPI for it to see my drive, even though I set the Wine compatibility to XP. (edit: by leaving it on the default of Win2000, it now works with SPTI.)

I think this time, Linux is here to stay. Programs I currently use: Firefox, Thunderbird, Audacity, and to a lesser extend, OpenOffice.org. The only driver I had to install was the display driver for my nVidia 7300 GT Sonic. I think I have become a convert (except for games and watching DVDs).

Edited by JasonFriday13

If you've not already done so you need to enable the restriction driver function for which there is normally an icon on the bottom left. Also a useful prog for updating the gfx drivers is ENVY.

Hmm, another thing that some people have issues with is updating the OS via the gui. I would always suggest manually doing this.

Thanks, when I booted it for the first time after installing, it came up with a balloon saying a restricted driver is required to run the system properly (graphics card). And I installed it that way. No other drivers were needed, unlike windoze, which needs time to set everything up correctly. I had to run the update manager a few times for it to pick up all the updates.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.